Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

igfxEM Module high CPU usage

EAbad1
Beginner

tempsnip.pngMy processor is an intel i5 8th gen 630 and it suddenly becanme the highest cpu user overnight

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver but it remained the same

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AdrianM_Intel

Hello EAbad1,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, I think the issue might be related to a conflict in the system, as Scott Pearson mentioned before the way to uninstall the DCH drivers is throughout apps & features, I think that when the DCH driver was uninstalled through device manager the operating system could have installed a legacy driver since the system was running DCH drivers this could have a conflict between the drivers/OS.

These are the recommendations: 

Try an Operating System restore point however if the option is not possible you might try a clean operating system installation.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
EAbad1
Beginner

I forgot to mention that the Intel Control Panel is also missing before I reinstalled the driver when I right click on desktop and after I reinstall the driver it has the same result

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Before anything else, understand that, with the switch to the DCH driver model (a requirement of Microsoft), the Intel Graphics Control Panel will no longer be available via the right-click context menu. Most configuration tasks will be performed via the Intel Graphics Command Center application, which should be installed automatically after installing the driver package and rebooting. Note that a version of the Intel Graphics Control Panel applet is available via the Microsoft App Store and can be separately downloaded (but this will not install it onto the context menu).

I suggest you try the following:

1. Download the latest driver package to your PC. If this is a laptop, use only driver packages from your laptop manufacturer.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless.
  3. Uninstall the latest Intel HD Graphics driver package. DO NOT DO THIS VIA DEVICE MANAGER! Do so by uninstalling the full package via the Windows Apps and Features applet.
  4. Keeping Internet access disabled, reboot the machine.
  5. Install the latest driver package.
  6. If it doesn't happen automatically, reboot the machine once the install is complete.
  7. Enable Internet access during login process.
  8. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
EAbad1
Beginner

Thank you for the reply, I was wondering if I can use DDU to uninstall it because I can't find the driver at apps and features.

0 Kudos
EAbad1
Beginner

Update: I tried and it has not worked

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There's no Intel Graphics Driver entry? If you've done a full install, there should be.

...S

0 Kudos
EAbad1
Beginner

I don't know why buy it is definitely missing...

Capture2222.PNG

Capture.PNG22222.PNG

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is why I tell people to NEVER install or uninstall drivers via Device Manager. This is how you end up with a screwed up system.

Only raw drivers, without installers, should ever be handled this way -- and, at the same time, the driver developer who providing them this way should be fired for having done so.

Can you use DDU to fix this? Maybe. Make sure you remove both the Intel HD Graphics and Intel Display Audio drivers.

...S

0 Kudos
EAbad1
Beginner

I already fixed the Intel Graphics Driver missing by using the Intel Driver and support assistant and also my laptop being MSI, should I get the driver package from Intel or MSI because the driver versions are different

Capture.PNG444444.PNG

MSI being on the left and Intel's on the right

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello EAbad1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I would like to mention that what the community suggested before is accurate.

Additionally, our recommendation is to use the MSI* drivers since the manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes (highly customized).

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
EAbad1
Beginner

Thank you for the reply but I was wondering whether I can install new driver package via device manager

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello EAbad1

Normally, the driver package has a .exe file that you can run when you click on it then follow the wizard installation, it should be installed without issues.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
EAbad1
Beginner

Ah yes I just found out about that but the problem still persists after follow the instructions

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello EAbad1,

Please run the following tools and attach the reports generated to the thread.

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

2. DXDIAG 

• Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R. 
  • On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK. 
  • On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information. 
  • Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
EAbad1
Beginner

I placed both reports on the file below

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello EAbad1,

In this case, I think the issue might be related to a conflict in the system, as Scott Pearson mentioned before the way to uninstall the DCH drivers is throughout apps & features, I think that when the DCH driver was uninstalled through device manager the operating system could have installed a legacy driver since the system was running DCH drivers this could have a conflict between the drivers/OS.

These are the recommendations: 

Try an Operating System restore point however if the option is not possible you might try a clean operating system installation.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Polarbear
Beginner

The previous suggestions to Try an Operating System restore point or clean operating system installation are bogus and unnecessary.

Download the latest Intel graphics driver matching your hardware (I did that from Lenovo as an .exe)

Run the installation and when asked, select extract only and use default folder.

Run the installer manually from extract folder (something like: c:\DRIVERS\WIN\IntelVGA\20xxxxxx.xxxxxxx\Installer.exe)
During setup step, select Execute a clean installation.
Complete the installation and reboot.

This seems to have fixed the high CPU problem for me.

0 Kudos