Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

igfxem module denies access to my folders

idata
Employee

Attached is the status of the drivers for my Intel HD Graphic 530, all up to date using Intel Driver Update Utility 2.6. Plus, a Speccy text of my laptop.

So this started happening recently, even after reinstalling Windows 10.

I am logged in as the administrator, and I couldn't even delete it even when logged into elevated administrator account. Tried Command Prompt "takeown" and changed owner ship of the folder to no avail.

Guess what, igfxEM is handling this folder. To be clear, this is a folder for a Steam game installed outside of C:\ to evade UAC while playing. Yet, igfxEM is somehow handling almost ALL of the folders in this D:\ drive.

And when I ended the process tree...

The folder just DISAPPEARED, and then I could rename, copy, move, any folders in the D:\ drive (not all folders in D:\ are handled by the module, but a vast majority is).

My questions are:

-How can I fix this? This hadn't happened before during the entire year I own this laptop, until I used CCleaner to "clean" my registry. REGRET.

-And is it important? Can I just remove it?

Thanks for reading and appreciate any help.

47 Replies
idata
Employee

(Update) intel_corp

During the installation of the latest driver update-https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26563/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-%3Fproduct%3D88345 Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45] Version: 15.45.14.4590-my laptop screen blacked out (which is normal during graphic driver update), but it was like that for 10 seconds and the sound of the video I was watching at the time looped. Without warning, the laptop restarted.

Here's a the screenshot of the event log and the bug check done after crash:

With that out of the way, I have news on the updated driver: igfxEM.exe's unrelenting grasp has returned and got over 9000 Steam file handles! This confirms @ Alex31report on this driver version.

I tested out and indeed I did "not" have the administrator permission to delete a folder handled by this module

And I'm not bothering using the command prompt and change ownership or logging into elevated administrator account.

So it's confirmed that Intel screwed something up in these newer updates?

Sincerely,

Dave

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

To Alex31: Thank you for sharing your outcomes.

To reissalvin: installing the latest graphics driver was part of the troubleshooting process, I appreciate you took the time to do that and provide feedback.

The information you are providing is being sent to the corresponding team.

Any findings will be posted in this thread.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

I would like to let you know that we were able to reproduce this issue. We filed an internal Bug report [ID 1405644705]

As soon as we have more information I'll update this thread.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

0 Kudos
ASchm10
Beginner

@Ronald_Intel Hi, I registered here to let you know that the problem also occurs under Windows 7 with the drivers version 21.20.16.4565.

For now I'm using the fix @reissalvin mentioned /message/438018# 438018 in his post # 4

I hope the next fixed drivers will be Windows 7 compatible. Thank you!

0 Kudos
ASisa
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I had the same problem with igfxEM.exe and the Steam folder.

I temporary fixed the problem: you need to go on msconfig and disable the service Intel (R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service and then restart.

I hope it helps.

Regards

0 Kudos
ASchm10
Beginner

Sicul1 a écrit:

I temporary fixed the problem: you need to go on msconfig and disable the service Intel (R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service and then restart.

Actually, you don't need to completely disable the HD Graphics Control Panel service; putting it on "manuel" is enough.

0 Kudos
ASisa
Beginner

I don't know how, can you explain step by step please? (I've read the previous page but I don't get it)

0 Kudos
ASchm10
Beginner

Sicul1 a écrit:

I don't know how, can you explain step by step please? (I've read the previous page but I don't get it)

I can try!

1. Control Panel -> Administrative Tools - > Services
  2. In the list find "Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service" and double click on it
  3. In the "Startup Type" drop down menu, choose "manual"
  4. Save and that's it.

Doing this will allow the service to be started in case of need.

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

I would like to chime in with the same complaint -- igfxEM.exe is holding open handles to files it absolutely should not have any business with whatsoever.

I have Core i7 6700K (HD 530) and NVIDIA GTX 980 on Asus Z170 Pro mainboard.

Intel graphics is enabled but no monitor is attached to it. Driver version 21.20.16.4542 is installed (Windows 8.1 x64).

As you can see in the following screenshot from Process Hacker, igfxEM.exe is holding open handles to all files inside Steam folder:

Even if this is necessary for the display driver / control panel to work, this is terribly inefficient use of system resources.

But wait, that's not the problem, problem is this:

Yes, igfxEM.exe has opened those handles with EXCLUSIVE ACCESS, effectively preventing anyone from accessing those folders and files!

I am doing all those screenshots from account with administrative privileges, yet I cannot even view permissions on the affected items!

Finally, a list of open handles in the igfxEM.exe process shows that it's not just workshop and games, but full Steam tree!

To make things even worse, those handles are open and held even when Steam is not running.

Finally, it is also holding files in Steam\userdata folder which contains local and remote (cloud) copies of game / application settings so it is possible it can even interfere with settings cloud sync.

Whoever Intel is hiring to write software nowadays needs to be hit on the head with a clue stick... HARD, not to mention that QA and managment heads should ROLL.

0 Kudos
YAnqa
Beginner

I'm facing the same exact bug. It happened all of a sudden.

INFO

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz

Processor Graphics in Use: Inter(R) HD Graphics 520

Driver Version: 21.20.16.4534

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

seriously intel does it take half a year to fix a stupid folder access bug/annoyance..

.4627 is here, same old **it

0 Kudos
JTorr13
Beginner

Hey just registered to say, ive got the same issue, pretty frustrating to find out why the heck i couldnt play some of the steam games, until i saw this and checked my steam folder being held hostage of igfxEM.exe, hope to get a fix soon, anyways, the downgrade of the driver worked??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

They are working on it. And yes, downgrading to older drivers work. Check the previous entries

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

I would like to confirm that a fix for this bug has tested positive in our internal tests. I'll push so we can include it in our next driver release.

I'll share more news as they come.

Thank you so much for your patience and all the feedback provided so far, it has been of tremendous help to us.

0 Kudos
JTorr13
Beginner

Hey Ronald, thanks for the update, any heads up on when could it be available?

0 Kudos
TWord
Beginner

made an account just to say i'm having the same problem...not worth making the account lol. ya'll should streamline making the account process.

my computer has the same hardware and everything is exactly the same. just from different company.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi Everyone,

Just to provide an update on this issue. The fix has already been checked on the next Beta driver, which should be out very soon.

As usual, as soon as the driver is available I'll let you know.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi again Everyone,

I would like to let you know that we release a new driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772 15.45.18.4664 which has a fix for this issue.

Please give it a try and let me know your feedback.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
ALydi
Beginner

Tried to install the driver, but can't because Acer decides "Hey, let's use a generic OEM driver so that are users will always be behind on the latest updates! Mwahahahaha!" Using an Aspire V3-575 so I'm stuck on the driver version 21.20.16.4534

I've tried using the exe installer and tried installing manually, neither one would install.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi FMCore,

I am sorry to hear that.

At this point, I would recommend contacting https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support Acer Support to look for an alternative for you to install the driver.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
ASisa
Beginner

Hi again, yes it worked, thank you.

For those who get the error "the driver being installed is not validated for this computer" you need manual installation.

Regards.

0 Kudos