Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20731 Discussions

igfxext Module takes a lot of Memory

JimmyWang1999
Beginner

hello guys!

My computer is notebook from Lenovo. I suddenly notice that the igfxext.exe takes a lot of memory! I tried to update the driver, but it didn't work. The process can restart and continue to grow memory usage again, I can't stop it.

Please help me!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JimmyWang1999

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening with your laptop, I will gladly assist you here. 

1. Is this a new system? Did the computer work fine before? 
  2. Were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? ( Windows*, driver, BIOS, or software updates) 
  3. Can you please provide us with screenshots from Windows®️ Task Manager showing the behavior (high RAM consumption and CPU load)? 
  4. Attach the Intel® SSU report so we can have more information about your laptop. Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 
  5. Does the same issue happen with your System Manufacturer's driver?  

Note: Since you have a laptop, we recommend checking with your System Manufacturer and using the driver software provided by them to avoid potential installation incompatibilities. Intel supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
JimmyWang1999
Beginner

Thanks for your assistance!

First of all, I solved this problem today. My laptop is from Lenovo and I tried to close the software named PCmanager(联想电脑管家 in Chinese) from Lenovo. The program "igfxext Module" didn't take more memory after I close PCmanager. After I reinstalled the software, the problem seemed to be resolved, and "igfxext Module" no longer used more memory.

For your assistance, I will reply you as follows:

1. I think it is not new system, I updated Windows11 for several months and I think the computer works fine.

2. This problem has been happening for over a week. I don't remember when it came out and I don't remember what updates there were.

3. I am sorry that because the problem was solved(maybe not) and I didn't  take any screenshots before.

4. I will attach the report below.

5. Yes, when I met this problem I tried to reinstall the driver supported by Lenovo. But it didn't work.

I am very glad that you can give me these assitance! 

My English is not very good, thank you for reading my reply!

0 Kudos
JimmyWang1999
Beginner

I tried to close the software named PCmanager(联想电脑管家 in Chinese) from Lenovo. The program "igfxext Module" didn't take more memory after I close PCmanager. After I reinstalled the software, the problem seemed to be resolved, and "igfxext Module" no longer used more memory.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JimmyWang1999

Thank you for the information provided. 

As I understood, the issue was solved after you reinstalled the software, does the issue still persists? Can you please confirm this? 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
JimmyWang1999
Beginner

I'm sorry, I don't know how to prove it, but it seems like the program "igfxext Module" is no longer taking up a lot of memory after using my computer for a long time. The memory usage of my computer appears to be normal now. I will attach the screenshot of my computer.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JimmyWang1999

In that case, let's test it out, I will follow up on your case within 4 business days, if the issue persists, please let us know. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JimmyWang1999  

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
JimmyWang1999
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, for now, my computer seems to work well. Is there anything else I need to do?

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JimmyWang1999

We are happy to hear that your issue is not present anymore. Since your issue is solved, we will proceed to close this thread now.  

If you need any additional assistance, please, do not hesitate to contact us back and submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
JimmyWang1999
Beginner

Thank you very much for your patience and for assisting me with my questions.

0 Kudos