Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

igfxext.exe module excessive CPU and memory usage

gal33
Beginner

hello guys

my computer is Dell XPS 15 9500

I'm having a big problem recently, a program under the name igfxext.exe is running in the background and using my RAM memory almost to 100% and CPU to sometimes over 20%!

no matter how many times I am trying to end the task it keeps coming back. 
it heating my computer and slowing it down.

I'm hopeless, please help me.

13 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @gal33

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

1- Is this a new system? Did the computer work fine before or are you experiencing this issue since the first day that you have the device?

2- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (For instance, Windows*, driver, BIOS, or software updates?)

3- Is the issue observed using the customized driver provided by the computer manufacturer (OEM) Dell*? 

4- Could you please share screenshots from Windows® Device Manager showing the behavior (high RAM consumption and CPU load)?

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mdds
Beginner

I have the same problem with memory.  I'm on a Dell Precision 7550 with 32 GB of memory and running Windows 11 Pro v.21H2 build 22000.556.

The igfxext Module gobbles up memory until there is no more.  It takes about an hour to consume it all.  All drivers are up to date.  Dell did their best, but feels it's not a Dell issue.  They suggested I reinstall Windows, which I really don't want to do, but will only if it's the last resort.

There was a Windows 11 update that coincided with the beginning of the problem.  It was the installation of Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11.  One of the many things I tried to fix the problem was to roll-back the update.  It made no difference, the problem remains, so I reinstalled it.

I ran several deep virus/malware scans and everything is clean.

This process is corrupted.  I've tried to disable it, but haven't been able to do so.

Imbedded is a screen shot of the task manager sorted by memory.

mdds_0-1648141226104.png

I was going to run the SSU application to gather the system info you requested of the other user, but it hasn't been updated for Windows 11, so wasn't able to do so.

Thoughts?  I need this fixed asap.  Do I even need it?  If not, how can I delete it?

Many thanks.... 

0 Kudos
mdds
Beginner

Hello AndrewG_Intel... mdds here again.  Please respond to my request for guidance.

Thank you....

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello gal33

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello gal33

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Bra1nsen
Beginner
0 Kudos
yumanoid
Beginner

I have the same issue on Dell XPS 9710. Today I couldn't open a new browser tab, it complained I was "out of memory". The laptop has 16gb ram, and I didn't even have so many tabs open. Then I noticed that igfxextN.exe is taking up 8gb, and it even rose to 9gb while I was watching. Almost every day I see the laptop come to a halt and I need to cold-boot it, I'm pretty sure it's the same issue.

I don't know right now if I'm running intel software obtained from Dell or one obtained from Intel, I'll have to re-examine that. I do have Intel® Driver & Support Assistant running resident.

That process is 3gb now, as I'm relatively fresh post-reboot, but it has only been rising since boot. total pig 🙂

the igfxextN.exe file version is 6.15.101.1191.

privers
Beginner

I have the same problem on my Dell XPS 15 9500. The problem also started around the same time as gall33. 

Maybe it's a Dell XPS update?

0 Kudos
yumanoid
Beginner

my issue went away. I'm pretty sure I updated the driver (from dell). now, running both the dell drv assistant and intel drv assistant, both say it's 'up to date', and here's the version reported:

yumanoid_0-1645710653302.png

0 Kudos
Bra1nsen
Beginner

HOW TO FIX?!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

First, you start a new threaad for yourself.

Second, you release the CAPS LOCK.

Third, you explain your problem.

And, So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
ATA22
Beginner

I am having the issue as several of the experiences already posted.

My PC is a Dell Precision 7540,  just 8 months old. The igfxext.exe program gradually accumulates CPU and memory, consuming 16+ GB of memory. My PC has 64 GB of memory so I don't run out but igfxext slows down all other process, especially web browsers.

I ran the SSU utility as suggested in the tech support comments (see output attached).

I'd appreciate guidance on resolving this issue.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JVBR
Beginner

Disabling the DellPremierColor service in system startup resolved the high memory usage issue for me. 

0 Kudos