Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

intel HD 520 Graphics Drivers causing windows to randomly reboot

UMoha
Beginner

My Asus UX305UA i7-6500u started to randomly reboot while running Windows 10. After much frustration and failed troubleshooting, I downgraded to windows 7 and found that without the Display Drivers installed, the device did not reboot at all. After installing the Display drivers, the device started to reboot again.

The drivers were downloaded from the ASUS website and the details are as follows: VGA_Intel_Skylake_Win10_64_VER2019154300. The drivers were updated on Windows 10 however it did not make a difference.

The drivers that are possibly causing the rebooting are: 1) Intel Corporation (Display) 08/24/2015 10.19.15.4279

2) Intel(R) Corporation (MEDIA) 08/03/2015 6.16.00.3180

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Wazi,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that your computer reboots randomly. I would like to assist you.

Because you have installed different versions of Windows. I would like to know the version installed in your computer at this moment. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Also, I would like to know if you are getting any error message/warning before your computer restarts. If so, you can attach a picture.

Do you know when this issue started happening? Was it after a Windows update?

Wanner G.
UMoha
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Wanner G.

The rebooting may have started after an update, i am uncertain as windows would update automatically.

i have tried installing older versions of the driver yet this was not successful.

There are no error messages being displayed, just like a sudden power failure, all lights go off and then the device reboots.

I have attached a picture of the drivers that possibly cause this, without these drivers, the device does not reboot.

Thank You!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Wazi,

Thank you for your response.

For testing purposes, try performing a clean install of the graphics driver to remove older versions of drivers and prevent system conflicts.

Steps

1.Disconnect your unit from the internet.

2.Uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

-Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

-Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html

3.Restart your computer. Please go to the device manager and check if Windows installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

4.Once you do, proceed with the clean install of the latest graphics driver version provided by your system manufacturer.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-UX305UA/HelpDesk_Download/

5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable the internet connection again.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
UMoha
Beginner

Good Day Wanner G.

After following your instructions, the same rebooting issue started again and i performed a system restore to uninstall the drivers as the device became unstable.

Thank You!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Wazi,

Thank you for your response.

It seems that your computer manufacturer does not have drivers customized for Windows 7. In this case, you can try to install the latest generic version of the graphics driver for Intel® HD Graphics 520.

Intel Download Center > drop-down menu > operating system:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88355/Intel-HD-Graphics-520

If this issue happens even after installing this generic driver, I recommend you to install the operating system that came preinstalled in your computer. You can use the ASUS recovery media to install the operating system, drivers and the applications that came with your system. If you do not have it, here is a link with additional information about how you can get it.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/782/

If your computer continue to restart randomly, this is most likely a hardware-related issue.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any further questions, I will be glad to assist.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Wazi,

I was wondering if the random reboots continued to occur.

I will be glad to assist you if you have any other question.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
UMoha
Beginner

Good Day Wanner G

The reboots have not stopped, so i assume it is a hardware problem.

Thank You for all the support.

Much Appreciated!

0 Kudos