Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

is it possible to embed VRAM into the intel gpu

FoxyScarlet
Novice

ok firstly this is partially a question and partially a " suggestion " to the makers

ok so I run the intel UHD 620 I love the detail and its pretty awesome ​

for 90% of stuff only time it failed me was when I tried to play " Monster Hunter World " graphics crashed with a error about lack of memory

is it possible to embed a GDDR type dedicated VRAM in 2 / 3 / 4 GB of visual memory to enable use of ALL digital items out there

I myself love my UHD 620 and strongly feel that with addition of some dedicated memory for the graphics intel could very seriously compete against the likes of Nvidia or AMD and I would swiftly buy any updated nuc that featured a graphics with VRAM option

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

In Windows 10 , Intel Integrated Graphics, uses part of system RAM as a graphics memory. So, if you will increase your RAM size, more graphics memory will be available for your games. More explanation you may find here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics-drivers.html

Leon

0 Kudos
FoxyScarlet
Novice

well its increased to maximum level and it doesn't help hate to say I have 16GB of DDR 4 ram wich is equivlant of 32GB of ddr3 … wich is the maximun capacity for the board and it doesn't suck the system ram the way u say it should windows 10 + game + background stuffs might be using maybe 5gb of 16gb of my ram leaving 11 to be chewed by graphics and nope it still wont run crashes out every time everything else runs fine elder scrolls online no issue saints row no problems far cry 3 4 5 also no issue just monster hunter and it keeps specifying its crash error as insufficient VRAM soooo given there should be 11gb of system ram to obliterate with > why is it not doing so ? is there some setting to buffer an allocated amount maybe ? any further suggestions would be great

FoxyScarlet
Novice

​OK so update :

after some extensive googling the issue has been solved it required some adjustment to the memory allocation in the bios ( the thing at boot up ) with few tweeks in the chipset management for the graphcs it now runs monster hunter world and everything else

BUT I still cant help but to think how much simplier it would be to have a memory circuit intergrated with the onboard chipset so it had its its own dedicated memory to use rather than doing battle for " shared " system resources as a whole this would benefit the entire system as u wouldn't be carnivoring memory from system to run graphics the whole memory sharing thing might be mostly convenient but on the whole it generates performance lag as the system hangs for a few moments to allocate / de allocate ram for graphics on the fly by demand requirement the whole point of VRAM is to remove that lag as game draws more or less of the shared ram as well as the impact / stress / strain this puts on the system as a whole gpu chewing off the left leg of ur ram and the engine that is ur pc suffers and struggles adding dedicated VRAM to the intergrated gpu circuitry would solve all the issues

n_scott_pearson
Super User

The graphics engine is in the processor, not the chipset. The chipset provides output steerage and nothing more. Embedding memory in the processor, on the scale necessary, would be a *very* expensive proposition. Look to discrete graphics cards for this capability.

...S

0 Kudos
FoxyScarlet
Novice

​if I had a regular pc > that's what I would of done already but with a NUC mini / micro pc theres no sockets on the board to connect a card to or opening in the case to allow use of such and even " discreet " graphics my case measure 20" across ( left to right ) 10" ( front to rear) and 2" high running on 12v 2.5a power unit there is litterly no way to add any physical device into the box IF it was that simple I would of done that already rather than asking " is " vram for intergrated a possibility and from this answer I gather " yes " it is but like all things costs money and that would be fine a new nvidia card costs thousands of dollars for the latest thing so yeah there was an expectation of cost > wich I would be happy to pay IF the option was available

0 Kudos