Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

is it possible to use 4k 60hz Monitor through HDMI to DP converterwith i7-8550u

EKim4
Beginner

So, apparently I just bought this laptop 'NT901X5T' from Samsung which has i7-8550u as its CPU and no VGA.

I have 4k monitor which supports 4k 60Hz through HDMI or DP.

I hook up the monitor with my laptop and it only can do 4K and 2# Hz. So I search a bit, and I found out that this i7-8550u supports 4k 60Hz with DP.

Thing is, my laptop only has one HDMI and none DP.

My question is, is it possible to use 4k 60Hz monitor through HDMI to DP converter with i7-8550u?

Cause according to intel website, HDMI 1.4 port only can do up to 4096x2304@24Hz.

it doesn't have any information about HDMI 2.0 port neither.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
glussier
New Contributor I

If the hdmi port is version 1.4, using and adapter to dp on the hdmi port won't give-it the possibility of displaying 60hz. However, there is an usb-c port on this device, you could use an usb-c to dp adapter to get the results you want.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

While this is changing, most Intel processors output only DisplayPort (DP). If the laptop provides a HDMI connector, then the laptop includes a LSPcon IC that will convert from DP to HDMI. Whether 4K@60Hz (i.e. HDMI 2.0) is supported by that connector depends upon the capabilities and quality of the LPScon IC that was selected. In some cases, a firmware upgrade for this IC will improve its capabilities (check your laptop manufacturer's web site for such upgrades). At the same time, the quality of the HDMI cables you use can make a *huge* difference. Like with everything else, the rule of thumb for cable - and adapter - selection should always be: "You get what you pay for".

Next, I see we need to have "The USB-C talk"...

The only thing that a USB-C connector is required to provide is a USB 3.0/3.1 port. That's it; everything else is optional. While it is very common to see one of the processor's DP outputs exposed as part of a USB-C connector's capability set, this isn't an absolute requirement and it might not be there. The same goes for Power Delivery, Thunderbolt, Audio Adapter and all of the other 'Alternate Modes' that have been defined; they are all optional and not required to be supported. Bottom line, look closely at what capabilities the manufacturer has provided you with. Don't make any assumptions.

Hope this helps,

...S