Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20657 Discussions

need help hd 3000 graphics and open gl dell e6420 xfr

bvain
Beginner

Okay so I have this x6420 xfr that I just reinstalled win 7 64 bit, I thought I installed the drivers correctly and everything works except my old favorite screen saver that I have used for years on other desk tops and lap tops.,

http://www.thematrixscreensaver.com/ The Matrix Trilogy Screensaver

I have crawled all over google hunting some insight and most of this goes past my knowledge,

I have tried updating the graphics both from dell and intel and didn't help, when I am in the screen saver window and click "preview" it doesn't play, if I set it to timer it doesn't play,

I cant help but feel this is on my end and some setting or driver I have messed up,

Can someone please help me out on this,

This is what the screen saver needs to run,

• Microsoft® Windows® 2000 or compatible

Runs on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.x and 10.

Version 0.54 runs on Wine and ReactOS.
  • GPU: OpenGL 1.5 support

That is nVidia GeForce2, ATI Radeon 7200 or newer. Drivers must be installed.
  • CPU: Pentium 3 or Athlon XP or later

If you feel my laptop should run this then please help me sort out my mess and get it going,

Many thanks.

B.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, the13bats:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

In this case, I would say that probably something went wrong during the installation of the software.

Here is what you can try:

1. Completly remove the software from your system.

2. Disable your antivirus software.

3. Install the software with administrator rights.

4. Try to use it.

I did perform a test in one of our systems with Intel® HD Graphics 2500 so I can tell the software works.

Hope my recommendations help, I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
bvain
Beginner

Esteban C

Thanks for trying to help for the most part I am in the dark on this one.

openGL is beyond my knowledge.

I tried what you suggested with the exception of forgetting to turn off Avast.

But of course it didn't work.

I will redo it, uninstall the prog and turn off avast this time, I am hopeful but not expecting it to help.

You really tried that screen saver yourself...that was pretty darn cool of you.

So let me ask you a few questions,

Which version did you use, I can get the version for no opengl to work, sort of, it's choppy and doesn't flow down the screen. but the latest versions do not open and run.

But the big question I have is does my dell e6420 xtr with intel hd 300 have the opengl this program demands?

Again, many thanks for trying to help me out.

cheers,

Bats

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, the13bats:

OpenGL* is is a cross-language, cross-platform application programming interface (API) for rendering 2D and 3D vector graphics.

Basically a programming interface for graphics.

Regarding turning off Avast* in this case, I suggested that due to the fact that some antivirus software can affect the installation of some programs, so it would be good to test it without that possible "block".

Yes, I let it on actually, the version tested is the one available in the website you provided me with in the first post.

Intel® HD Graphics 3000 supports up to OpenGL* 3.1 the required for the screensaver is 1.5 so from that side you shouldn't have issues. Some additional information here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005524.html Supported APIs and Features for Intel® Graphics Drivers

I was able to check that the developers have some contact information in the website provided, you could also let them know about this issue so they can provide you with further troubleshooting to get this to work again.

I look forward to hearing from you and the outcome on this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, the13bats:

Thought I would just check in and find out if you were able to resolve this problem.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos