Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

"Display_driver_igfx_stopped_responding _and_has_successfully_recovered" on vista with a Mobile_Intel(R)_965_ Express_Chipset _Family Video Card

idata
Employee

Hello,

I am an happy user of a Samsung Q45 (see the attached report for details of my configuration)

The problem I had initially with the Samsung video driver (15.4.3.0.1283 June 6, 2007) and I still have with the one of intel (15.12.4.1666 March 05, 2009), it's while using an application, after a while the application stops, the screen becomes black, then it appears the message error 'Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered' OR 'Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered'.

After this, Windows vista automatically brings me back to my desktop and the windows of the application stays black. After I have to go through the task manager to stop it and restart it, losing all my work. That's a major issue.

Even with the Intel new driver that happens sometimes, but so much less.

During my internet research:

- I found out that this error is related to the Intel graphics system and is much more likely to occur when system memory is running low; while playing graphics intense video games or using video or graphics applications, which is my case.

- the error 'display driver igfx has stopped responding and has fully recovered' is an extremely common issue with Vista and can happen with any video card installed. Some companies like HP have a video card update for this kind of error.

More specifically, the problem is that Microsoft allows vista '2 seconds' to locate the video driver, but video card manufacturers(Intel, ATI, NVIDIA) allow 5 seconds for the OS to find it, thus after 2 seconds the screen goes black and a few seconds later it recovers. Microsoft says they will not change the OS to adapt to the way the video cards respond. They are making the manufacturers of the video card figure out an update on their own, which hasn't happened as of yet. Today is April 24 2009, this problem is apparently known since 2007 and I don't know if your last version of chipset / video drivers would solve the problem.

Could you help me please?

Regards,

Sebastien

0 Kudos
25 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi

FIrst I should admit I don't have a solution, only to further add what you've all been saying - I'm playing WOW again on my advent (Intel Corporation) Laptop, with mobile intel 945 express chipset - the drivers are all updated. Also, I played it for 2 evenings, then tonight (tuesday) I move locations and I can't even get to the loaded game screen - goes all black then white, then hardware/graphics error message - first 2 times, total screen freeze, then blue screen! then I had to manually turn off then restart. 3rd time, I managed to press 'x' on the warcraft game window, and i stayed on the desktop, but of course i've found no updated drivers from intel.

Does anyone think upgrading to windows 7 would help? Given that I'd have the same graphics chipset?

Is there a vista solution to change the graphics?

Cheers

NM

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As i thank, my problem was a hardware fault. Was Fixed replacing the motherboard (with the integrated intel VGA)...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried that first and it only made the problem worse. I did a clean reinstall of Vista and at least the laptop is usable if you don't mind the screen freezes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply!!! Where do you find the standard VGA drivers for windows?? Are they on the installation disk or are the buried in a folder in windows.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just wanted to bump this thread. This has happened to me on a Lenovo Thinkpad T410 on and off for the last year or so. It happens the most (but not every time) when I'm watching streaming internet video. Nothing too resource intensive, but mlb.tv does sometimes use 250-300 mb of RAM--this is a known cause. Other causes have included Java initiating auto update and something having to do with switching from AC to battery power.

Today while watching mlb.tv, I unplugged the computer. This caused an igfx error loop where the screen would go black, try to render all of the windows and programms intermittently. Over about 30 minutes, I was able to save my work (very slowly). But then I got a really weird error:

Log Name: System

Source: Application Popup

Date: 7/2/2011 9:38:31 PM

Event ID: 26

Task Category: None

Level: Information

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: forrestlaptop3

Description:

Application popup: 畄浭坹湩潤汷獥sᠧ敉庍敲㗆敞徴敨庍敲脐敦䲗敟ᯪ敨᯾敨㞤敞▬敢敋刦敞⌞敩㩟敞㧵敞㈙敞䏖敞充敞凓敞敨䭰敞䐴敞慭汩潴: chrome.exe - Application Error : The instruction at 0x0322cbcd referenced memory at 0x00000004. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program

Event Xml:

http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

0x80000000000000

System

forrestlaptop3

畄浭坹湩潤汷獥sᠧ敉庍敲㗆敞徴敨庍敲脐敦䲗敟ᯪ敨᯾敨㞤敞▬敢敋刦敞⌞敩㩟敞㧵敞㈙敞䏖敞充敞凓敞敨䭰敞䐴敞慭汩潴: chrome.exe - Application Error

The instruction at 0x0322cbcd referenced memory at 0x00000004. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

0 Kudos