Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21181 Discussions

"Flickering" primarily on web pages with video while using drivers after 31.0.101.5448.

Kaberu
Novice

I have an Intel Arc A770 16GB on Windows 11 connected via HDMI to a TV, and the problem is only occurring on driver versions after 5448.

When there is video content playing on a web page, the entire screen flickers and the colors change as if HDR is being turned on and off.

• This problem also happens on other applications, but primarily when I first load or scroll a page with video content playing. For example, if I load YouTube's main page and scroll, everything is fine... but if I hover the mouse over a video so it starts a preview and then scroll, the flickering/color changing happens every time consistently. This happens in both Edge and Firefox.
  • This sometimes occurs without scrolling. Possibly due to the video rate changing? But I am not sure.
  • I have tried disabled HDR in Windows, and the problem remains.
  • It also looks like warm vs bright colors as well due to the screen flickering between being more blueish and then less blueish, but my "Night Light" setting has never been turned on and I verified it is still off.
  • To reiterate, this is only happening on driver versions after 31.0.101.5448. Thankfully I had downloaded version 5448 and I have been keeping it ever since this problem occurred so I can have a stable system.
  • I have never had this problem with any driver version prior to 5448.
  • My Windows is always up to date.
  • The TV is in PC mode, HDR compatible, and 60hz. All of the TV features, including HDR, works fine with 5448 and prior versions.

What has been happening with each new driver version is I do a clean install, reboot the PC, load a web page, and the problem occurs without fail. Sometimes I give it a couple days in the hopes of the problem correcting itself after a couple reboots. It hasn't, so I then do a clean install of 101.5448, reboot the PC, and everything works perfectly fine whether I have HDR enabled or not.

I already do a clean install/DDO with the drivers every time.

Please also do not tell me to reinstall Windows. If Windows was the problem, prior versions of the Arc driver including and prior to 5448 would exhibit the problem. Something clearly changed with drivers after version 5448 that caused this problem. I can reliably recreate the problem by installing any version of the driver newer than 5448 and, I can reliably eliminate the problem by installing any driver version equal to or older than 5448.

As I mentioned, I've tried multiple driver versions (including the latest 5593, and both WHQL and non-WHQL drivers).

As it currently stands, I am getting by using 5448, but I am missing out on an increasing number of stability and performance gains as I fall further and further back in driver versions. Any help identifying and fixing the problem would be greatly appreciated. At the very least, finding out what changed in drivers after 5448 might narrow down what started causing the problem.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Kaberu,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

Please generate an SSU report since I will raise the case with our engineers for further investigation. To generate the SSU report, please refer to the article: How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows*. Please send us the generated SSU.txt file.

By the way, please also check out this article, as it might be helpful in addressing the issue:

We look forward to your response!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Kaberu
Novice

Sorry for the delay, I had an issue logging back in, plus I was away for a bit. I attached the requested SSU. I am going to try installing the latest version of the Arc driver and see if the issue shows up in a screen recording.

I tried the black and flickering page prior to making my post. It did not help, unfortunately.

Kaberu
Novice

The issue does not show in a screen recording, but I did capture it from my phone. I am guessing this means it might be something with the TV in particular, or at least in the way the GPU is communicating with the TV after update 5448.

I attached the video showing the problem with version 5994 installed. Like before, reinstalling version 5448 fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Kaberu,

Thank you so much for the update.

I will raise the case with our engineers for further investigation, and I will update you as soon as I have their response.

By the way, thank you so much for the time and effort you put into trying out the troubleshooting steps that we have provided.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Kaberu,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting on our response.

To advance our understanding of the issue at hand, kindly provide the following information:

1. May you please provide the make and model of the TV being used?

2. Have you attempted to use a different HDMI cable?

3. Are you using a straight HDMI-to-HDMI cable?

4. Please try reducing the screen resolution to see if there are any changes.

5. Also, consider lowering the refresh rate.

6. If feasible, try connecting to a different TV or monitor to see if there are any changes.

7. Consider updating the BIOS to the latest version (L3.44) as per the SSU logs, as the current version is L2.62.

We will be waiting for your response!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
Kaberu
Novice
  1. It's an Amazon Fire TV, model number 4K65M600A
  2. Yes
  3. Yes
  4. It happened at both 4k and 1440p.
  5. I will try this later for testing purposes but can't use as a solution.
  6. I will try this later for testing purposes but can't use as a solution.
  7. I am not able to update to a newer BIOS version. I tried 3.30, 3.40, and 3.44. They all produce an invalid file error. I somewhat recall this issue back when I first tried to update to 3.30. I then tried 2.62 and that worked fine. My assumption at the time was that maybe it was a slightly different hardware revision or for some reason my 3700X CPU was not compatible with the update. I didn't really look into the problem at the time.
0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Kaberu,

Thank you so much for your efforts in providing the information that we have requested.

I will now raise the case again with our engineers for further investigation, so we can provide you with the appropriate recommendation immediately.

Thank you so much for your patience!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Kaberu,

Upon further checking, it turns out that the troubleshooting steps that you were about to take, such as lowering the refresh rate and trying a different TV or monitor, are crucial for the next investigation that we would take.

In regards to that, may we know if you have already taken those troubleshooting steps? If yes, kindly share with us the result.

Furthermore, as the TV has four HDMI ports, may we also know if you have checked all of them? If so, is the problem happening on every HDMI port?

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Kaberu,

Again, upon further checking, it turns out that the troubleshooting steps that you were about to take, such as lowering the refresh rate and trying a different TV or monitor, are crucial for the next investigation that we would take.

In regards to that, may we know if you have already taken those troubleshooting steps? If yes, kindly share with us the result.

Furthermore, as the TV has four HDMI ports, may we also know if you have checked all of them? If so, is the problem happening on every HDMI port?

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Kaberu,

May we know the result of the troubleshooting steps that you have taken?

Furthermore, for additional information, since the TV has four HDMI ports, may we also know if you have checked all of them? If so, is the problem happening on every HDMI port?

We will still be waiting for your response!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
JedG_Intel

Hi Kaberu,

I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jed G.

0 Kudos