Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1808 Discussions

A770 Blackscreen while netflix/disney+ fullscreen

Nconstruct
Beginner

First of,

sorry for not responding.

I did what you told me in the old thread.

• When did the issue start?

A: idk. I think since I got it

• Are you using a website or an application to watch the content (Netflix and Diney+)?

A: website on chromium browser (google chrome)

• Is the Intel A770 the original graphics card in your system?

A: no I used to have a R9 390 and a GT 710 before i got the A770

• What Troubleshooting steps have you tried?

A: reinstalling GPU drivers

• We would like to gather more information about your system, so please create a system report using the following tools:

A: see attached files 

Best regards.

ps: I might need longer to answer.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nconstruct

Thank you for posting on the  Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communites. I will be glad to continue providing troubleshooting support for this issue I know it is important to have your streaming apps working correctly.

I see you have tried to reinstall the driver, however, taking a look at the log files you shared there is an outdated version installed so please let's uninstall the current driver using Display Driver Uninstaller to get rid of any leftovers and once uninstalled update to the latest version 31.0.101.4824.

I would also advise testing different browsers since you are using Google Chrome, let's test another Chromium-based browser like Microsoft Edge and a browser not Chromium-based like Mozilla Firefox this will allow us to know if there is any issue only specific to Google Chrome or Chromium based browsers.

In addition, just to make sure and double-check if there is any type of physical issue let's test a different DisplayPort cable and check if the same happens.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Nconstruct
Beginner

Hello Hugo,

I reinstalled the drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller

I found the problem its displayport, using hdmi there is no balckscreen, DP there is always one, I tried the netflix app and microsoft edge aswell as chrome and switching ports.

Since I really want to use DP for higher refresh rate what else can be done to fix the blackscreen?

One other thing: it would be nice if you made it possible to delete and reinstall drivers within the driver.

Best Regards,

Nconstruct

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nconstruct

Thank you for sharing the results of the troubleshooting steps. Were you also able to test a different DisplayPort Cable ?

Since the issue does not happen at a lower refresh rate through HDMI, please let us know the refresh rate you have configured on your system through DisplayPort and check if the same happens when setting the refresh rate to a lower level.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Nconstruct
Beginner

Hello Hugo,

my System is running on 144Hz with DP, but turning it to 60Hz on DP makes no difference.

Using another DP cable also doesn´t change anything.

Best Regards,

Nconstruct

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

I am using a DP cable with my A770.

I can stream Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max...

Xfinity Live Stream... 

Running 2560 x 1440

144hz

Google Chrome Browser.

All of it is working fine with no issues for me.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nconstruct

We will need to take a further look at this issue with our team, however, I would like to check one more setting on your system configuration. Sometimes using Variable Refresh rate can cause flickering with some applications, please check if it is enabled on Arc Control, and if so try disabling it:

1. Go to Intel® Arc™ Control
  2. Select Display
  3. Select Per-Display Settings
  4. Select Disable Variable Refresh Rate

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Nconstruct
Beginner

Hello Hugo,

I did the steps, sadly it doesn´t change anything.

Best Regards,

Nconstruct

@Nazrex I have the same display specs, maybe my GPU has a defect ?

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

@Nconstruct 

My first A770 was defective... 

It had a rare issue that resulted in my PC spontaneously rebooting in the middle of specific games, but it only occured once every few days, to up to two weeks at the most.... so it took me for EVER to diagnose the problem and rule out various bios settings, other hardware, etc... 

But when I finally did determine that it was the GPU... Intel jumped to the plate and immediately offered me a Warranty Return with a paid shipping label.   I shipped it back to them, and they sent me a brand new one within 5 business days!

Now I'm not saying yours IS, defective.... only sharing my experience with how Intel handled it for me, when I was able to prove mine was.

Some questions I noticed Hugo has NOT asked however....

1. Have you tried using the onboard settings within your own Monitor, to see if there's an option to MANUALLY change it to look for a DP connection as opposed to the HDMI one?   

Now I know you got a pretty darn good monitor!   

But.

2. Have you tried a different Monitor yet?   

Maybe there's one you could borrow from a friend for just a couple hours to test with?

3. Also, I know you tried a different DP Cable, and I know this probably shouldn't make a difference but... have you tried a different DP version cable?   1.4?  2.0?

4. Lastly, and I know this also probably won't make a difference but have you checked your browsers multimedia settings?  Hardware acceleration enabled/disabled on the browser? etc 

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Oh also have you looked at some of the various online articles regarding this issue... 

Its a pretty common one with Netflix at least.

This article for example points out that Netflix has now been detecting whether or not you have any third party screen recording software running, and if so... it just displays a black screen, to prevent you from recording/stealing their content.

https://www.slashgear.com/860464/how-to-fix-netflix-displaying-black-screen-with-sound/

I noticed however this is NOT currently a problem with the Arc Control Center's Studio recording feature... as I am able to screen capture Netflix while its playing... but maybe you have some thing else running in the background?

0 Kudos
Nconstruct
Beginner

@Nazrex

Hi,

1. Input is manually set to DP, chancing any setting for autoswitch or manual doesn´t change anything.

2. I have one but only with HDMI, it works without issue, but with other gpu like R9 390 DP works as intended .

3. No, I only have 2x1.4 cable and bout dont work, it is a DP1.4 monitor

4. Any setting I can change does´t make a differnce, but even with the netflix app it does not work.

5?. I do not use recording software, and even looking through my my active apps I cant find anything that would record.

But I think the might be another "problem": changing apps with alt+tap also results in a 3sec blackscreen when changing into or out of fullscreen. (like in games) 

I just ignored it till now cause it´s not permanent, and I thought it is just something that would get fixed eventually.

0 Kudos
Nconstruct
Beginner

I dont know why but now I get a few secondes of blackscreen all the time while switching tabs in chrome.

0 Kudos
Nconstruct
Beginner

Now DP got even worse the Blackscreens became more often and longer and now there is no signal detected sometimes. I´ll guess I have to use HDMI for now.

@intel what  should I do now? Is it fixable?

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

I think its maybe safe to presume at this point that the DP Port on your GPU might be bad?

Unless you have some other DP device you could plug it into, to rule that out?

Otherwise... yea, its probably something with the port itself on the GPU.

If the card is still fairly new, you might be able to exchange it with your place of purchase?

Otherwise... maybe @Hugo_Intel  can help you arrange for a warranty exchange?

Or try this link?   

https://supporttickets.intel.com/s/

I think that's the one I used, to request a warranty exchange for my A770...

You'll probably also want to refer them to this thread for reference, so they can see the troubleshooting steps you went through, etc.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nconstruct

We understand the black screen issue on your system has been getting worse. As @Nazrex pointed out there is a chance the GPU has a defect, allow me to check the information we have gathered so far with our team and I will get back to you with the next steps.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Nconstruct
Beginner

Okay I´ll wait, thanks for now.

Best Regards, 

Nconstruct

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nconstruct

We continue to investigate this problem, however, we wanted to suggest that you update your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version to ensure the best possible compatibility with the system. Let us know if the black screens still happen after the BIOS update. Based on your system manufacturer's website the latest version should be F64e.

Best regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Nconstruct
Beginner

Hi, Hugo

I updated the bios to F64e but the blackscreens remain.

I don´t want to press you, but if it can`t be fixed maybe you could just write me an email for the shop I bought it that you confirm it is broken and that I can get a new one or my money back. 

Best regards,

Nconstruct

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nconstruct

Thank you for letting us know the same issue still happens after updating the BIOS, we will continue investigating the problem and will give you an update as soon as possible.

In regards to warranty, every shop should have 30 days or more depending on the store warranty period, however, if you have any issue claiming the warranty from the shop we can help with and explore different warranty options that will go directly through us in case the GPU is determined to be faulty.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nconstruct

We were doing some testing trying to get this issue replicated and we tested Netflix on Chrome using a 3 DP display configuration(check video), however, the website worked without any type of issues, so we wanted to suggest the following:

• Please download and test the native Netflix App in fullscreen and check if the same happens, this is mainly to test the HDCP status on your system
  • If the issue persists, or there is still a sudden loss of output from the GPU to the monitor, please perform a complete clean Operating System reinstallation, since the issue might be caused by a corrupt installation of the OS.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Nconstruct
Beginner

Hi Hugo,

I tried the netflix app and the same happens, but I have found out there is no blackscreen when I don`t press play, as in the frame stays in fullscreen and doesn´t go black.

I wont be able to reinstall the OS for some time, do to not being able to save my data somewhere else, so if it is not necessary I´m not going to do that.

I´ll try to give it back to the shop, I just want to have a working Graphics Card.

Thanks for all

Best regards,

Nconstruct

0 Kudos