Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1846 Discussions

Adventures in non-supported hardware: Dell 2208WFP + ARC A770

Does_It_Blend
Novice

The old Dell 2208WFP would not work when connected to the ARC A770 GPU (driver version 32.0.101.5762) at the recommended resolution and frequency  (i.e. 1680 x 1050 @60Hz).  I'm using it in portrait mode (i.e. 1050 x 1680 @60Hz) along side two other displays.  Since the ARC could not figure out a workable resolution and frequency for the old Dell display, I installed an available low power AMD Radeon HD 5450 next to the ARC A770 to handle it.  The HD 5450 didn't get tripped up on strange EDID.

Perhaps it would be possible to get the on-board graphics of the Intel Core i5 3570K to handle the old display but I've got other things I want to get done at the moment.

The OS is Windows 10 Pro 22H2, build 19045.4651

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Does_It_Blend,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

Please generate an SSU report to help me further analyze important details on your system, such as the complete model of your system, the complete model of your processor, etc. To generate the SSU report, please refer to the article: How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows*. Please send us the generated SSU.txt file.

By the way, may I know what cable you are using when connecting to A770? Furthermore, was the A770 working fine before? If yes, have you made any changes to the system before the issue occurred?

And when you say, "The old Dell 2208WFP would not work when connected to the ARC A770 GPU," do you mean the display is black or there were any error messages? If there's an error message, please share it with us.

We look forward to your response!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Does_It_Blend
Novice

Greetings, Carmona A.

I've replaced the mentioned monitor with one capable of 1080p.  It's an HP V244a which, like the Dell mentioned above, is equipped with VGA an DVI connections.  The ARC A770 is working fine with the replacement monitor.  (I was able to remove the second GPU and connect the HP monitor directly to the ARC.)

As for the cabling, I'm using a DisplayPort to DVI adapter -just as I was with the Dell 2208WFP.

The ARC A770 was new and newly installed -either on the same day or on the day after I connected the Dell 2208WFP.  So, I could say it was working "fine" before.  (Initial set up of the card did cause some anxiety -probably due to the motherboard not meeting the system requirements.  It was a rough install but eventually was working satisfactorily.)

When I stated that the old Dell old Dell would not work, I meant that it would not display anything from the computer.  A message appeared on the display stating that the currently detected signal was not compatible with the display and that 60Hz was needed at 1680 x 1050.

Please note that my post was not a request for assistance.
If Intel is interested in improving the ARC driver to address such an issue with the Dell 2208WFP, I am willing to assist with that.  Otherwise, please let me know and I will send the old but functional display to the second-hand store to be recycled.
Maybe a database of displays with early / problematic EDIDs could be consulted by the driver.

Since the Intel System Support Utility "Submit" option is not functioning (i.e. "Can't establish  connection with site." https://servicerequestmgmt.intel.com/webticketui/ ) I will attempt to attached the requested file along with this post.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Does_It_Blend,

Thank you so much for a very detailed response.

I will raise the case with my team to provide you with the appropriate response or to offer you the best approach in regards to our case. And once I have the update, I will post it in this thread immediately.

Thank you so much for your patience.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Does_It_Blend,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting on our response.

After reviewing the monitor manual on page 19 (OSD Warning Messages), it appears that you will need to verify the horizontal and vertical frequency ranges supported by the monitor.

However, that is not yet final, and we still need to further investigate the issue. In regards to that, is it possible that you can share with us the exact error message you are receiving? A screenshot or an image of the error message would be much appreciated, since this will help us investigate the root cause of the issue more effectively.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
DhannielM_Intel

Hello Does_It_Blend,

Since my colleague Andre is currently away, I will be taking over this thread. I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the questions I posted. Please reply to the current post at your earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Dhanniel M.

0 Kudos
Does_It_Blend
Novice

Thank you.
I have a weekend coming up and will attempt to gather the information then.
Kind regards to the both of you.

0 Kudos
DhannielM_Intel

Hello Does_It_Blend,

Thank you for response, I will wait for your update.

Best regards,

Dhanniel M.

0 Kudos
Does_It_Blend
Novice

The most convenient method of obtaining the information was via a tool from nirsoft.net called DumpEDID.  However, It might be more valuable to intel to look into the GitHub project called linuxhw/EDID which "....is a repository of decoded EDIDs from various digital and analog monitors collected by Linux users at...." linux-hardware.org.

The relevant results from the NirSoft DumpEDID tool follow.

Kind regards.

Monitor Name : DELL 2208WFP
Serial Number : 
Manufacture Week : 42 / 2008
ManufacturerID : 44048 (0xAC10)
ProductID : 16444 (0x403C)
Serial Number (Numeric) : 
EDID Version : 1.3
Display Gamma : 2.20
Vertical Frequency : 56 - 75 Hz
Horizontal Frequency : 30 - 83 KHz
Maximum Image Size : 47 X 30 cm (22.0 Inch)
Maximum Resolution : 1680 X 1050
Support Standby Mode : No
Support Suspend Mode : No
Support Low-Power Mode : Yes
Support Default GTF : No
Digital : Yes

Supported Display Modes :
720 X 400 70 Hz
640 X 480 60 Hz
640 X 480 75 Hz
800 X 600 60 Hz
800 X 600 75 Hz
1024 X 768 60 Hz
1024 X 768 75 Hz
1152 X 864 75 Hz
1280 X 1024 60 Hz
1280 X 1024 75 Hz
1680 X 1050 60 Hz

0 Kudos
DhannielM_Intel

Hi Does_It_Blend,

Thank you very much for providing this information.

As mentioned above, could I request a screenshot or picture of the message you get when you use the Dell 2208WFP Monitor. This will aid us on our investigation to this situation.

Best regards,

Dhanniel M.

0 Kudos
Does_It_Blend
Novice

Here's the requested photo.

0 Kudos
DhannielM_Intel

Hi Does_It_Blend,

Thank you for providing me all the information. Once again, I will coordinate this to our engineers to give you the best possible resolution or approach into this situation. I will revert back to you as soon as I get a response to our engineers.

Best regards,

Dhanniel M.

0 Kudos
DhannielM_Intel

Hi Does_It_Blend,

Thank you for patiently waiting. I would like to clarify some things for you, can you tell me which of this statement below you are trying:

1. Using the monitor in portrait mode at 1050 x 1680 @ 60Hz but it is not working

2. Using the monitor's native resolution 1680 x 1050 @ Hz but it is not working?

3. or are you trying to use both?

If you are attempting the first option, please connect your DELL monitor to your Arc GPU and generate the report using the Intel Graphics Command Center (IGCC). You can refer to this link for guidance: Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers.

Please note as I cannot guarantee, that generating the report using the IGCC may not work due to the use of a DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter.

Best regards,

Dhanniel M.

0 Kudos
Does_It_Blend
Novice

Greetings.

The ARC A770 does not output a signal compatible with the display.  So, the orientation of the display is of no import.

The display works readily on every other GPU I own -to include integrated Intel GPUs.

The requested IGCC report is included here.

Note that the Intel Arc Control app does identify the Dell display but a working signal is not output to it.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos