Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1592 Discussions

Arc A770 Quake2 default OpenGL not working

guccismith
Novice

In an attempt to test the OpenGL compatibility with my recently purchased A770 LE, I fired up Quake II (launched from Bethesda launcher).

The game works fine with software renderer (obviously), but switching to default OpenGL driver/renderer results in a momentary gray background window and then kills the application.

Much to my surprise the 3DFX OpenGL mode works just fine, which I believe is piped through my previously installed nGlide wrapper.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities.

I am sorry to hear that you are having gaming issue with your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics (16GB), please answer the questions below for a better understanding of the issue:

• Take a video of the issue.
  • Update graphics driver to the BETA version 31.0.101.4034.

Driver download:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/729157/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-beta-windows.html

Installation steps:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics.html

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

Hi Andres,

Thanks for reaching back.

Did a screen recording <Quake_2_default_OpenGL.zip>, you can observe the game launching fine (I had to force the software renderer via config.cfg file otherwise it would just crash immediately) - but as soon as I toggle "default OpenGL" mode the game crashes.

Did another recording <Quake_2_3DFX_nGlide_wrapper.zip>, where switching to 3DFX OpenGL mode works just fine - using the nGlide wrapper to I guess DX9 ?

Also updated to the latest driver: BETA version 31.0.101.4034 - but no difference.

I can add that I have also tried various native OpenGL titles in Ubuntu 22.04, where the game doesn't launch - for example CS:GO (OpenGL). However Steam Play titles using DXVK works just fine in Linux

Please don't give up on getting the drivers in shape, when it works - it is brilliant!

Cheers,

Linus

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Thank you for your response. It was really helpful

To continue with the troubleshooting, please answer the following questions:

• Take a video of all the games that have issues with Ubuntu 22.04.
  • Install graphics card driver 31.0.101.3959 accessing on:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/726609/762922/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-whql-windows.html

Following the steps in the article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics.html

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

Hi Andres,

Ok I have downgraded to 3959 drivers, but it made no difference in Windows. At least not for Quake2.

From the Steam client logs on Ubuntu 22.04 the common problem I have observed with OpenGL titles, is when it tries to open a window (by means of OpenGL API calls I guess). I get the same error for both Quake2 and also Unreal Gold (using Steam Play to enable such titles under Linux). They work just fine with my previous graphics adapter.

All in all I feel that there is a lot of legacy OpenGL API calls left at the table? Probably a good starting point to go back to stable titles from both id Software and EPIC that relied on OpenGL to use as reference.

Feels like you need to release some kind of debug drivers if you want the community to be able to provide proper support. At this point it is not a matter of performance, it is about getting things running to start with.  I doubt that the problems reported are due to hardware incompatibility or ReBar issues, it is about driver incompatibility. 

Maybe put out some experimental drivers which are focusing on different issues?

For example:

- OpenGL compatibility (legacy)

- OpenGL compatiblity (current)

- DX9 compatibility (also pre-DX9 titles which should work with DX9 also)

- DX11/12 compatibility (a lot of modern titles not even starting up)

I will try some more titles on Linux and try to feedback some more.

Cheers,

Linus

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

Just tested Quake2 via Steam Play compatibility layer on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04), with the following error:

Steam: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id in failed request: 0xa001bb
Serial number of failed request: 21
xerror_handler: X failed, continuing
Steam: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id in failed request: 0xa001bb
Serial number of failed request: 21
xerror_handler: X failed, continuing

Game is indeed launching and presenting a dialogue which "mission pack" to select. As soon as the game tries to start rendering graphics it crashes with the above stated error.

See attached screenshots.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Thank you for the information, feedback, and help provided. It si really important and helpful for us.

Now we are going to start with an investigation to provide you with more accurate information.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

I can confirm that the same problem with default OpenGL renderer pertains to Linux as well (using Steam Play compatibility layer). Switching to default OpenGL renderer gives the same result as on Windows.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Thank you for your response and for letting me know that the issue happens on steam as well.

The dev team won't be looking into this specific title since there is a newer version of the Game https://store.steampowered.com/app/1089130/Quake_II_RTX/ that was ported to work w/ modern API. So we will continue especially for teh steam version as it works with modern API.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
ADB124
Beginner

Hello

I think part of the point guccismith was attempting to make is this applies to all OpenGL games. Not all have been integrated into Vulkan, or a newer API, nor will they be. On another forum, even AMD is getting blasted for not following through on better OpenGl and DX9 drivers. There are quite a number of people who still play these particular games and to simply "do away" with working on integration, Intel would rather just "sweep them under the carpet?

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

Hi Andres,

Yes I am aware of the Quake 2 RTX version and it indeed works with the Intel Arc A770 graphics adapter.

But that is not really the point here; this is about OpenGL compatibility issues which needs to be addressed by the graphics driver. Feels like this should be a no-brainer to debug and fix given that this error is perfectly reproducible.

I could probably find workaround with 3rd party binaries for Quake 2 (it is open source these days), but I would not be satisfied knowing that the legacy OpenGL support is not where it should be.

Best regards,

Linus

Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Thank you for letting me know that you are aware of the Quake 2 RTX version that works with the Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics.

As I understand your worry about the OpenGL compatibility issues with the Quake II (launched from Bethesda launcher), I will start with a new investigation to try to find options available for you.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
ADB124
Beginner

Hello Andres

Again I believe that guccismith is referring to OpenGL legacy support for everything, not just Quake II.  They were using Quake II as a workable reference point.

Best

DJ

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

We understand OpenGL compatibility can be improved, hence, we recommend you create a thread for each game having issues. We will close this one since Quake 2 (the latest version) works fine on Arc, you can contact the game manufacturer to update it to the latest version. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Also, we want to let you know gaming issues on Linux can take longer to be addressed since Linux drivers are not updated as often as Windows.

Best regards, 

Andres P.  

0 Kudos