Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1966 Discussions

Cannot open DX11 or lower games after PC is on for too long (Unspecified time)

QuirkyConor
Beginner

If my PC is on for longer then a day (IDK the exact timeframe), games with DX 11 or lower always give a DX error and will not open, I have not seen this issue on any other GPU from AMD and Nvidia, Strictly an issue I see with the ARC A770M, issue resolves on restart. Very annoying and shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello QuirkyConor,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities. We are more than glad to help you with your issue.

To better troubleshoot your issue, please provide us with the following:

• Do you recall if this issue has been present since day one?
  • What games have you confirmed to have issues with?
  • What steps have you tried to solve this issue?
  • Do you have a screenshot of any error message you can share with us?
  • We would like to have further information about your system; please, provide us with the following reports:
  • Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU) 
    • Download the Intel SSU
    • Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View."
    • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View."
    • To save your scan: click "Next"; then "Save."

Intel® Graphics Command Center:

• Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
    • Navigate to the Support tab
    • Select System Diagnostic
    • Click Generate Report
    • Select Save and name the output file.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
QuirkyConor
Beginner

To better troubleshoot your issue, please provide us with the following:

• Do you recall if this issue has been present since day one?
    Yes, its getting annoying now
  • What games have you confirmed to have issues with?
    Any games with dx 11 or  9
  • What steps have you tried to solve this issue?
    Changed drivers making sure to DDU every time 
  • Do you have a screenshot of any error message you can share with us?
    varies with each game 
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello QuirkyConor,

We appreciate the information you provided.

We are interested in exploring this matter further internally; therefore, we would like to have more information about your system; please, provide us with the system reports we requested before:

• Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU) 
    • Download the Intel SSU
    • Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View."
    • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View."
    • To save your scan: click "Next"; then "Save."
  • Intel® Graphics Command Center:
    • Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
    • Navigate to the Support tab
    • Select System Diagnostic
    • Click Generate Report
    • Select Save and name the output file.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
QuirkyConor
Beginner

attached

0 Kudos
peorg
Novice
I am pretty sure that this is the already known "driver losing DirectX feature levels" bug.

To verify, run the Windows DirectX diagnosis tool (open start menu, write "dxdiag", press enter). In the adapter settings, which afair is the 2nd tab, is an entry called DirectX feature levels.
Usually it should list a bunch of things ranging from 9_1 to 12_2. But if the bug occurs and games give DX error messages, this entry will probably be blank.
0 Kudos
QuirkyConor
Beginner

Would that not prevent me from playing DX12 games as well?

0 Kudos
peorg
Novice
Usually yes, but as far as I experienced sometimes only DX9-11 were affected, which unlike DX 12 are not natively supported but "translated" to DX12.

Tho in my case this was always followed by DX12 stopping to work shortly after, your mileage may vary. My educated guess is that the root cause is the same. Checking dxdiag once either variant of the issue (DX9-11 arent recognized or all DX variants arent) might help verify that.
0 Kudos
QuirkyConor
Beginner

So far, DX12 has not been affected, and that's leaving the PC on for a couple days after I notice 9 thru 11 not working at all. 

Once I get the issue again Ill check dxdiag, but Ill have to wait and see

0 Kudos
QuirkyConor
Beginner
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello QuirkyConor,

We noticed that on your system report that you are currently running driver 31.0.101.4255. In case you face the issue again, perform a clean driver installation for the Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - WHQL - Windows*, version 31.0.101.4314.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
QuirkyConor
Beginner

Ill try it might take a few days to see if anything changed for the better,

on a side note, the intel command centre does not tell you if there is an updated driver, whenever there is a new driver it says that the old one is still the newest driver available, and the fact that i have to DDU every time I install a new driver, never had to do that with AMD or Nvidia GPU's

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello QuirkyConor

We understand that installing the latest driver may take some time. We will wait a few days before confirming the outcome.

About the IGCC not informing you that the driver is outdated, note that the tool has no feature related to the Driver. If you want to be notified when a new driver is available, you can use our Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA), or you can also be automatically notified by Intel® Arc Control when there is a new driver update. To enable automatic download and/or install the latest graphics driver using Intel Arc Control, check the article: How to Automatically Update Graphics Drivers Using Intel® Arc Control.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
QuirkyConor
Beginner

intel arc control is what i meant sorry

QuirkyConor_0-1683241610651.png

0 Kudos
peorg
Novice

Have you checked that Arc Control is granted proper internet access via your Wifi/LAN thru Windows Firewall (or third-party firewall if you use one)?

To check, enter "Windows Security" in the Windows system settings, click "Firewall and Network Protection" and then "allow access by an app through Windows Firewall". The actual items might be named a bit differently as Im using a German version of Win 11 and am translating what my UI shows.

There you should get a list of apps with checkboxes indicating whether they can access the internet through your private network and public networks. Make sure that for Intel Arc Control at least private is checked. You may also want to check public, as network configuration in Windows is sometimes not coherent. Before you change those settings you will need to click the "change settings" button on the top right to grant yourself admin access.

If Arc Control doesnt show up, you can try to add it manually (button on the right below the list). Select the ArcControl.exe file which should be located in C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Arc Control\ (unless you changed the default installation path).

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello QuirkyConor

Thanks for the information provided.

To address the concern you raised about the Arc Control software not notifying you about driver updates, we suggest that you start a new thread for additional troubleshooting. This will minimize any redundant efforts and avoid any confusion for both you and other members of the community.

Regarding the problem you are experiencing with game crashes, we kindly ask if it persists with the latest driver version 31.0.101.4314. If the issue remains, could you please provide us with the following information:

• Create a DirectX* Diagnostic Tool report once you face the problem. Check the article How to Extract Information from the DirectX* Diagnostic Tool for more information.
  • For issue reproduction steps, provide us with one affected game, and share with us the game version you are using.
  • Once you face the issue, create a game dump file and share it with us.
  • If you encounter an error, it's best to create a dump file. Utilize the Event Viewer to produce a system log file for the issue. Microsoft has a helpful article that provides information on locating the log files.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello QuirkyConor,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
QuirkyConor
Beginner

Haven't had a chance yet I work 90% of the time, Will update this thread when I can, do not close it

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello QuirkyConor,

We understand that you haven't had the chance to try our recommendations. We would like to wait to check the outcome and the information we requested.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello QuirkyConor,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
QuirkyConor
Beginner

Drivers are updated, still yet to try out a DX11 or lower application, Should have update within a day

0 Kudos