Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1711 Discussions

Do NOT install the new 4644 driver - Includes a FIRMWARE update

lorvar
New Contributor I

This is a total disaster of a release. Does anything really get QA'd before releasing it?

My Bifrost A770 continuously ramps up and down the fan, I have ZERO control of it other that the lights.

Davinci Resolve freezes on export at the 71% mark then continues to finish. A clip that rendered off in 18 sec, now takes 24 sec.

My third monitor has stopped working.

I am severely pissed about the fact that I couldn't opt out of the FIRMWARE update. I only wanted a driver update. Is anyone at Intel going to buy me a new functioning card since the firmware ruined it and I can't work anymore?

Irresponsible.

1 Solution
lorvar
New Contributor I

Just like everything else, it all fails. Generate Report says "Could not create bug report."

Want to use "Report a Bug or Issue"? Nope. Fill out the form and get an error.

I'll be moving back to my Nvidia cards. Good luck to you all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
45 Replies
VaudouGamee
Novice
Déjà de llorar como un bebé! " Voy a volver a mi tarjeta envidia" que llorón!
Esta tarjeta fue creada para equilibrar la balanza de los grandes fabricantes como envidia y crear precios más realistas en el mercado!
Si lo que querías era una tarjeta sin desafíos paga más de mil dólares por una envidia y deja de hacer pataletas como un bebé mimado.. las tarjetas Arc hoy están realizando un excelente trabajo, y como todo proyecto siempre hay alto bajos, pero de los errores se aprende para mejorar, y todo gracias a la comunidad abierta que ha permitido esta tarjeta Arc de intel, félicitations Intel courage et on y va !
0 Kudos
p0rps
Beginner

I have the same card and issues as the other users above.  The fan spins up to full speed momentarily every five seconds or so, and adjusting the fan curve doesn't make a difference overall.  I was, however, able to get SSU to work, so I have attached the file from that to this post.

I wish I had found this post before updating.  Games have been crashing and I've even had a couple full system hangs since the last update.  I think it's reasonable for people to instinctively download driver updates for these cards, because they're still far from perfect, and so far things have only been improving with updates.  Hopefully Intel fixes this very soon.  When I'm working, the card is very distracting.

It's acting like the nodes set in the fan curve settings are the only states the fans can be in, i.e. speeds in between the nodes are either zero or whatever the previous node is.  It's something like that but it's not really my job to figure out the issue.  Seems like Intel should be paying us instead of the QA team at this point.  Maybe a free trade-in for a battlemage whenever that headache comes out.

0 Kudos
p0rps
Beginner

Also got the Intel GCC report to work.  File is attached.

0 Kudos
Hrdina
Novice
I'm assuming too much crunch for AAA Starfield and mistakes are being made. I did a 180 on wanting to be an Intel guinea pig.
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello lorvar,

We are sorry to hear it, but we understand your situation and that you have decided to go back to using Nvidia cards. Nevertheless, we will further investigate this matter internally. We will post back as soon as we have further details.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mik2
Beginner

Don't ask for any more infos, this is a firmware issue on Intels side and needs to be fixed asap. Intel broke the Bifrost and you have to fix it.

0 Kudos
IceStorm
Beginner

I installed 4644 on my 12600K/Bifrost system. Games ran fine, but I noticed I had lost RGB and fan control via the Predator Bifrost utility. Removing and reinstalling the Bifrost utility did not work. Fan control also stopped working via Arc Control.

On my system, I had the IGP still enabled on the 12600K (rumor has it you need that for Vulkan ReBAR to function). DDU revealed the problem - the Bifrost driver listed was 4125, while the UHD driver listed was 4644. Destiny 2 performance says the Arc card was running on 4644, but something about the two Intel GPUs must've been confusing the Bifrost and Arc Control software.

Used DDU to completely remove every hardware driver - the Intel IGP, the A770, and a little RTX 3060 cruft left over as well. Reinstalled 4644 while unplugged from The Internet and now everything is working again. Predator Bifrost can communicate with the card and set RGB and fan speeds, and those setting stick when the utility is exited.

If you haven't yet, try using DDU to completely remove everything hardware GPU-related, then reinstall the 4644 drivers. Might do the trick.

As an aside, disable Predator Bifrost before trying to use PresentMon's automatic detection mode. PresentMon locks onto the Bifrost overlay, even if the overlay is disabled, and just sits there flickering, stuck to wherever you set up the overlay to show up.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone,

We want to inform you that Intel is taking the report seriously and is collaborating with Acer to find a solution as soon as possible. We will keep you updated regarding this issue through this thread.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Glenn1337
Novice

Hello Jean, 

Thank you for the response on the thread, and updating us about the current status.

We are all looking forward to a solution for our issues regarding our GPU.

Yours. 

Glenn

0 Kudos
Lappa
Novice

Hello,

I have the same problem with my ASRock Arc A770 Phantom Gaming D 8GB OC. Since the driver update to 4644, the fans start to spin up at irregular intervals.

0 Kudos
Felipe_Intel
Employee

Intel is aware of a fan speed issue impacting some users. We are working to release an updated Intel® Arc™ Graphics driver that resolves the issue this month.

0 Kudos
lorvar
New Contributor I
So, almost three weeks since I reported this fan issue and no resolution, yet people complain about a new game (Starfield) not functioning and you issue an update in 5 days??? Another reason not to have confidence in Intel. You obviously don't have a fix for this firmware update. Is it because it can't be fixed?
0 Kudos
Kendop17
Beginner
I was thinking the same thing. The firmware and driver update messed with my Bifrost fans, created graphical glitches in Fortnite DX12 and Jedi Fallen order and crashes some older games that use to run fine.

I reported it all immediately to Intel and no action at all, despite a new driver released since. But Starfield is getting fixed asap (As it should be), but what about all the other problems that they caused of their own making. With all the complaints, you'd think they'd reverse the firmware update!?

I sent in detailed logs, info and videos of the glitches, and all I got was an email saying they are looking into it. When the new driver came out, there was no mention of the issues I raised, so I had hoped they'd been fixed. But not so. I then informed them that my issues still aren't fixed, and they haven't even bothered to reply.

Come on intel,get your act together!
0 Kudos
lorvar
New Contributor I

After submitting my details, I was told I need to update my BIOS on my motherboard.....um no. I'm not risking bricking my motherboard too. Never had an issue with the BIOS, nor my Acer card before the Intel forced firmware update.

0 Kudos
Reps
Beginner

Firmware updates are common, millions of users update their motherboard/GPU firmware.

You will be fine.

0 Kudos
NerfedSenpai
Beginner

I see.

0 Kudos
Emma02
Beginner

The recent software release has undoubtedly been a major disaster, prompting serious concerns about the quality assurance process preceding product launches.

One glaring issue I've encountered with this release is the constant fluctuation of my Bifrost A770's fan speed. Regrettably, I have zero control over it, except for the lights.

Furthermore, my experience with Davinci Resolve has been marred as well. The software now freezes consistently at the 71% export mark, significantly prolonging my rendering process. What used to take a mere 18 seconds has now ballooned to 24 seconds, causing frustration and delays.

Adding to the list of woes, my third monitor has suddenly ceased to function.

What's most exasperating is the inability to opt out of the firmware update; I merely sought a driver update. Is there any recourse available from Intel to obtain a new functioning card, given that the firmware update has rendered my current setup utterly unusable?

The need for swift resolution and assistance from Intel in this matter cannot be overstated.

0 Kudos
p0rps
Beginner

People are saying the latest release fixes the issue.  I'm about to install it.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html

edit: Not really a fix for me.  Maybe better if you don't tune the fan curve.

0 Kudos
Felipe_Intel
Employee

Hello community. 

New driver 31.0.101.4824 was released, which includes a fix for the fan issue. Please visit our download center and download and install this driver and let us know the results.

0 Kudos
Suzie1818
New Contributor I

I have posted on the Github regarding this fix.

In brief, the issue is only partially fixed by this latest driver update. Now it works fine provided you only use the "Automatic" option for the fan speed control, but if you want to use the "Fan Curve" option, this fix has not done it ideally yet.

0 Kudos
A770user
Novice

So I updated today the drivers for the A770 predator bifrost Acer card.

Big mistake.

The bifrost app no longer works. I have lost all control to the card.

It worked fine for months without updates.

Now the Bifrost app fails to launch.

0 Kudos