Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1966 Discussions

Frequent PC Crashes Part 2

Saveno
New Contributor I

I'm having this problem since i got the GPU and every time i think i found a fix it starts happening after a few days again. Sadly, i was naive and stupid back then and instead of returning the GPU to get my money back, i thought the problem is the PSU which was not the case in the end.  I tried countless things like

-Updating and resetting Bios

-Reinstalling Windows

-Underclock and undervolt the GPU

-Bought a new PSU

-Tried various Bios settings, like turning C-State off

-Set Windows Power settings to performance

-Disabled fast boot

-Updated all other drivers

-Tried different cables

-It happened under every Driver Version (Normal and Beta) since i got the GPU in March.

-GPU is not overclocked

-Temperatures are fine

On some days its totally fine. 0 crashes, i can play all day long for days, but then the crashes are coming back. It happens in games like World of Warcraft Retail, FFXIV, Diablo 4, Hogwarts Legacy and when using Stable Diffusion.

These crashes did not happen with my old GPU (1660 Super) but im dumb and sold it after thinking i solved the issue with my Arc because i needed the money. 

As i'm very short when it comes to finances due to health reasons and saved for a new GPU for months this is really frustrating and devastating to me. Due to my health i can't do much more than playing games and not even that is possible anymore. 

My System:

My System:
B450M PRO-M2 MAX (MS-7B84) Mainboard
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
32GB Ram
800W EVGA PSU
Windows 11 (Latest Update)
ReBar enabled

There is probably not even something wrong with the GPU, but its more like the Hardware combination or something. I have seen countless posts on the internet about this issue, people are having it with Nvidia cards too, so dunno if returning the GPU to have it checked will help in any way. I feel like all i can do at this point is sending it back anyway to make sure that there is really nothing wrong with the Arc and if not sell it on ebay, take the loss and buy a cheaper card.

I know the error shows that the CPU caused the crash, but it always only happens when the Arc is under "heavier" load and as i said, it never happened with my old GPU. I tried CPU Benchmarks and everything is fine with it and i also never have crashes unless i start playing games that put the Arc under load. Or Stable Diffusion is also a good example. It does not use my CPU at all, but pretty much 100% of the Arc's power and usually crashes the PC before SD can finish generating an image. Just with gaming however there are days where Stable Diffusion also works perfectly fine. So what could it be that sometimes i can play games on Ultra settings and use SD for days without any issues, and then the crashes start happening again? Could it be volt related? Or could something be wrong with the Arc after all?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saveno

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry you are experiencing random crashes on your system, I know gaming on your PC is pretty important for you and I will be glad to assist.

I understand that you have already tried to reset your BIOS to default settings, however, while we troubleshoot the issue let's make sure all settings on your BIOS are defaults to ensure better stability. Also, make sure the settings o the Intel® Arc™ Control Software are reset to default as well.

Once settings have been reset to default, let's uninstall the graphics driver using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). Since you were previously using a GPU from Nvidia, also delete previous Nvidia drivers using DDU but select Nvidia instead of Intel in step 6. Once all drivers have been uninstalled and while in safe mode reinstall the driver version 31.0.101.4369.

If the issue persists, please share with us the crash dump files from the following folder: C:\Windows\Minidump. Make sure to get the files only right after a crash occurs to ensure it gets registered in the log file.

Also, just better understand this issue, I understand these are random crashes that restart the system but there are no error messages on the screen of BSODs displayed. Is this correct?

Best regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Saveno
New Contributor I

Thanks for your reply.  Forgot to mention it in the first post, but i've already used DDU to uninstall all previous Drivers. I also had Bios and the Intel Arc Control Center on default settings (even had ReBar disabled back then) on a completely fresh Windows installation and it happened anyway.

I have done it again just now however and uninstalled everything via DDU in Safe Mode + put Bios to default settings (except enabling Above 4G)

I'm not getting any errors on my screen or any Bluescreens. The screen just turns black, i hear a static buzzing sound for a few seconds (just like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayndfhu6W40)  from my headphones and the PC restarts. 

My PC also crashed again earlier today, but ever since everything has been working fine.

I've attached all files in the Minidumb folder. It doesnt allow me to upload DMP files so i had to zip it. 

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saveno

Thank you for letting us know. We will check the information you have provided as well as the dump files with our team. I will give you an update and post back once I have more information to share.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saveno

Thank you for your patience. Upon checking the log files most of them point toward the igdkmdnd64.sys module failing which would mean there is something wrong with the GPU itself. In this case, we would advise that you contact your place of purchase to process a warranty replacement or in case you have any issue with them, feel free to contact us directly o explore warranty options:

U.S. and Canada: Intel Customer Support 

Europe, Middle East, and Africa: Intel Customer Support EMEA  

Asia-Pacific: Intel Customer Support APAC  

Latin America: Intel Customer Support LAR   

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Saveno

I see there are no further questions regarding this topic. In this case, we will be closing the thread, feel free to open a new topic if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos