Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1679 Discussions

Game crash black screen new A770LE

iwabernethy
Beginner

Hi,

I've recently installed a A770LE and found it crashes every time I play Civilization IV (the only GPU using game I currently have). Below are the details and attached is the scan details.

Drivers are up to date, all software on my PC is fully updated. Drivers reinstalled, following using the graphics driver removal tool to remove previous and intel installed while in safe mode and then reinstall the intel clean, still same crashing.

Any advice appreciated.

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Does your system meet the game’s minimum system requirements?

Yes

Did you already installed the Intel Graphics Driver latest release found at Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Drivers?

Yes

Please provide your system information by attaching the following file:

1.      Download the System Support Utility tool to the system where the issue occurred.

2.      Run SSU.exe. Select "Everything". Then click Scan.

3.      Save the data to the text file and attach it to this report.

See attached.

Please describe your issue as accurately as possible.

At some point when playing Civ VI the screen goes black, an error comes up and tells me the graphics have failed and I can submit a report. Happens at different times when playing, sometimes straight away on main menu, sometimes I get nearly an hour of play before crashing. The three screenshots show the error, reporting and the state of the GPU at the time of the crash - although it also happens when I run in lower performance mode in the game and do not max out the 3D on the GPU.

What distribution service did you get the game from?

(example: Steam / Origin / Epic / XboxGamePass / UbisoftConnect)

Steam > Civ VI

Please provide the game's graphic/video settings when the issue occurs.

Graphic Quality (Low, Medium, High, Ultra):

Occurs in all game graphics settings, max and min.

Resolution (1920x1080, 3840x2160):

FHD - 2x monitors, game only on primary.

Vsync (On/Off):

Tried both.

Display (Fullscreen / Windowed/ Borderless Windowed):

Fullscreen.

Please let us know which game API was been used when the issue occurred

(examples: Vulkan, DX11, DX12, OpenGL, etc...)

DX12

Is the power cable plugged in or not?

(running on AC power or Battery?)

AC power (desktop)

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.

These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

See attached screenshots.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello iwabernethy

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communities. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues when trying to play Civilization VI on your system with Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics.

• Please let's try updating to the driver version 31.0.101.4335 and check if the same issue persists.
  • Also please update the BIOS on your system to the latest version. Latest version seems to be 2.27 visit your system manufacturer's website to download it.

If the issue still happens, please let us know the following information:

• Is Resizable Bar enabled in your system?
  • I see in your post that this is the only game you have been able to test, is this correct or have you tested any other game?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello iwabernethy

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
iwabernethy
Beginner
Hi,

Thank you for the guidance. I have been able to update the bios and have installed the beta driver. There is no setting for resistable BAR on Dells, so have not done that.
I've played there game once since and it was ok until I exited the game when it crashed and took the whole pc down with it.
I'm away from home for a few weeks now, so will continue to test it when back at the end of May.

Thanks,

Iain
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello iwabernethy

Thank you for the information. understand that you will be away for some time and will not be able to continue support. I would like to also confirm if you were able to test any other game or if this is the only game that experiences this issue.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
iwabernethy
Beginner

I was able to test the new Settlers game that comes with the graphics card. It appeared to run ok for about an hour of play, albeit on tutorial parts. However it did crash the computer when I exited the game.

I will test both games again when I'm back home and run them a few times to be sure.

0 Kudos
iwabernethy
Beginner

Hi,

I am now back and have been trying to my computer for gaming again. It seemed more reliable, although I still got some form of crash around 25% of the time when playing Civ VI.

I then noticed there was a new driver available 31.0.101.4369 so I installed that. This has made it significantly worse again!

When trying to load Civ VI it fails to load around 25% of the time, and when I do get in to a game it runs ok but I am able to crash it (and it takes down the whole PC without even a blue screen, just restart) if I press the windows key when in the game (which I often want to do to get back to my desktop). I find then pressing the windows key it will switch to the desktop ok around 15% of the time, but mostly it just hangs the game, then black screens, they flicker for around 30 seconds and then my PC hard restarts.

Please advise next course of action.

Thanks,

Iain

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello iwabernethy

Thank you for getting back to us. In this case, since the issue persists, we will need to take a further look at the issue, please share with us a screenshot of the in-game graphics settings.

Also, right after a crash happens on your system go to C:\Windows\Minidump get the files from the folder, and attach them to your response. Make sure to get them only once a crash has happened.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
iwabernethy
Beginner

Hi,

lease see attached the graphics settings.

Also a dump file from one crash I managed to catch today - this occurred on loading the game up, rather than when I was hitting the windows key during the game.

Thanks,

Iain

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello iwabernethy

Thank you for the information. We will check the minidump logs that you shared and will get back to you once we have an update on the issue.

Best regards,

Hugo O

0 Kudos
iwabernethy
Beginner

Hi,

Please see attached another dump file. This crash occurred not in a game - I had previously played a game and come out of it without incident, then the PC had sat for some time and when I went to use it again it just crashed. I'm not certain if this was related to the graphics card or not, but I've had zero crashes before on this PC for any other reason.

Thanks,

Iain

0 Kudos
iwabernethy
Beginner

And here's another one from while the game was fully running. I wasn't doing anything active in the game at the time, but it crashed and took windows with it.

Note that I'm also getting more regular crashes where the game crashes and sometimes give the error message about graphics, however there is of course no dump files for that - if there's any graphics card log output that'd be useful let me know.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello iwabernethy

Thank you for these detail and for sharing these other logs with us. We continue to work on this issue researching all the details you have provided. I will let you know once we have more information.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
iwabernethy
Beginner

Hi,

Unfortunately I have another more serious problem now. I noticed there was a newer version of the driver (4382) so tried to install that. However the installer would sit and make no progress. I then tried uninstalling the current driver using the DDU utility linked in another post on this forum to try a clean install.

I now cannot install any of the last three driver version (4382, 4335 or 4382). Each of then loads the installer, I click through to do the install, and regardless of which options I choose, or just default, the installer application just sits 'spinning' and never doing anything. Screenshot attached. I've also tried leaving the machine overnight in case it's just slow, but it was still like that ~10 hours later.

So I now have no graphics capability and an running on one monitor with the default display capability. Please help!

Iain

0 Kudos
iwabernethy
Beginner

Further to the above, I notice that when I run the Intel driver assist it thinks the driver is already installed, which it is not. See attached screenshots.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello iwabernethy

We are going to do some testing with the Civilization VI game and check if the issue can be replicated. As for this new issue that you mention since it is a different issue from the original you will need to open a new thread, however, the best advice we can give is that you contact us directly through phone or chat so we can troubleshoot the issue with the driver installation, our technicians can remotely connect to your system and this will make troubleshooting easier to come up with a solution in a quicker way.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technicia

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello iwabernethy

We have done some tests in Civilization VI but did not experience any type of crash when playing, minimizing, or exiting the game, playing a few hours in different sessions.

In this case, taking into consideration that your system does not meet the requirements for the Arc GPUs, and if it is possible for you, try to test the GPU in a system with specifications similar to the ones specified on our requirements page.

We would also recommend doing a clean installation of your Operating System and try playing the game using DX11.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
iwabernethy
Beginner

Hi,

Thank for testing and feeding back the results.

I am understandably dismayed that your intel graphics card is not compatible with a fairly high end high powered intel CPU from recent years. I would understand if the CPU lacked the basic grunt, however the one I have does not.

I am not willing to do a clean install and run in DX11 at this price point, therefore I will have to sell the card and get something else.

Happy for you to close down this incident.

Iain

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello iwabernethy

We totally understand and apologize the GPU did not meet your expectations as well for not being compatible with your system. We appreciate your support and please know that we continue to improve our Intel® Arc™ GPUs.

Since the GPU will no longer be available to troubleshoot and as per your request we will be closing this thread, however, feel free to open a new topic if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos