Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1917 Discussions

Huge RAM (not VRAM) usage on idle

Tasnim-Hasan
Novice

This is my second post. My first post was about game stuttering. Now, I found something new when I was testing my usages via MSI afterburner.

Problem: 50-60% or 8-9 GB RAM usages on idle. 

First I thought my PC had virus or something. So, I fresh installed my windows but the problem still persisted. Then my second thought was that the problem happened because of GPU driver. (Let's be real, the arc GPU drivers has issues.) 

I uninstalled my GPU driver with DDU and guess what, the RAM usage was back to 17%. Then, to be perfectly sure, I unmounted my GPU, installed integrated graphics driver (Ryzen 5 5600g) and checked the usage again.  The ram usage this time was 21% on idle and didn't exceed 21%

Problems that I am facing: 

Slow PC, constant game stuttering, PC hard crash (at least once in every 1 or 2 hour while playing demanding games like Lies of P, Rachet and Clank rift apart, etc.)

My PC specs:

• Gigabyte b450 S2H
  • 16 GB ddr4 3200mhz RAM
  • Amd ryzen 5 5600g processor
  • 1 tb gen 4 SSD
  • Windows 11
  • Resolution 1080p

I really hope that you guys will be able to fix this problem as soon as possible. I bought this card about 3 months ago and so far I have only been able to play Cyberpunk 2077 without any issues.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Tasnim-Hasan
Novice

Yesterday, I disabled Intel arc control from startup apps. That fixed the memory leak issue. But, when I booted up my PC today, the intel driver support and assistance stared automatically and the memory leak problem started again. The Intel arc control is still disabled from startup apps and the intel driver support and assistance restarts automatically after ending its task from task manager.  I am not sure if the memory leak is actually happening because of intel driver support and assistance or not. But, I am sure that it is happening because the arc driver because the problem is fixed whenever I uninstall my driver.

Will the people from the support team actually help me fix the issue or are they going to keep ignoring my post?

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Tasnim-Hasan, 

Thank you for posting at Intel Communities.

I understand that you are frustrated but rest assured that we are not ignoring your post. We are here to help and to enable us to determine the exact cause of the issue, we appreciate if you can help with the following:

1) Please run our SSU tool to generate a log that provides details of hardware, drivers installed, error messages, etc. Here's the link that outlines how to do this -https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html. Please send us the SSU log file generated, and we'll further analyze it.

2) What exact model of Intel Arc graphics card you are using?

3) What is the power wattage of your PSU? If you can provide the model, then it will be better.

4) Do you have your OS updated to the latest version?

5) When you say hard crash, do you get a BSOD, or the system just becomes unresponsive?

6) Did you observe any overheating?

7) Did you change anything in the system prior to this happening? Like, installed a new software or a new hardware.

If its ok with you, can you fully uninstall IDSA (Intel Driver and Support Assistant) and install the latest Intel Arc graphics driver which is 101.5330? Then, observe if you will still get any memory leaks, constant game stuttering or hard crash? Let us know of the results if each of the reported issues will occur.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you very much!

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Tasnim-Hasan
Novice

Here are the answers to the questions:

1. I ran SSU after launching intel arc control panel. Hope that helps. 
  2. Intel arc a750 limited edition
  3. 650w PSU. Model: Corsair CV650
  4. Yes
  5. While just browsing or working, an error pops up saying out of system memory (or something along the line). When I press ok, every open tab or file closes down, sends me back to desktop screen, every icons, shortcuts & navbar disappear. If I press windows, only the navbar pops up. I sing out then sing in again, the problem gets fixed. While gaming, the screen freezes. Doesn't show any popups. Can't open task manager and alt+tab / alt+f4 doesn't work. Only way to get out of the situation is restarting the PC with restart power button. Although, I remember getting a BSoD once and only once.
  6. I don't know. Does 72 - 80 degrees CC count as overheating for this GPU model?
  7. MSI afterburner is the only software that I installed recently and I downloaded it from Official website and I do install new games quite frequently. Also, both my PSU and SSD are new. SSD model: Team MP44L 1tb brought on Decembre 20, 2023. 

I have uninstalled IDSA as you instructed, and I think it fixed the memory leak issue. So far I have been using the PC for 2 hours and played games for 40 or so minutes and didn't face any crashes. But the stuttering is still there. (Played ghostrunner 2). Although, I heard this game has some performance issues, so I will install another game and check if the problem is still there or not. Also, I will let you know if I face problems after long time gaming. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Tasnim-Hasan,

I can confirm that the temperature is normal as it is not exceeding the 90-degree threshold. Since you are no longer experiencing the crashes except for a specific game, I agree with your approach to test it with another game as well.

Here are some other items to consider:

1) Check if the processor is not overheating.

2) Since you are using a processor with iGPU, may I suggest you disable it to ensure that Arc A750 is used.

3) Do you have your games installed on the new nVME drive (TEAM TM8FPK001T)? If not, I suggest you transfer your games there and observe performance.

4) You may try updating your BIOS as I noticed a newer version has been released for your motherboard model. You may use this link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios.

Thank you very much and let us know the results of your test.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
Tasnim-Hasan
Novice

Hello Ramyer M.

Here are the answers according to your question:

1. The processor is not overheating
  2. I disabled IGPU from BIOS once. After 2 days my pc crashed. I thought it was another out of memory crash, but when I restarted my PC it displayed a popup box saying that the PC crashed due to changes done in BIOS. So, I immediately restored to default BIOS settings (I did enable the resizable bar afterwards).  Anyways, I installed the latest ARC driver with DDU.
  3. Yes they are.
  4. I don't have a USB drive. I will buy one and let you know if anything improved.

The crashes have stopped while gaming. Also, I tried playing different games and here are the results.

• Lies of P: Working perfectly
  • Doom Eternal: Working perfectly
  • Forza Horizon 5: Micro stuttering. but I am playing on Extreme preset with Ray tracing on high. (Don't want to lower the settings, the game just looks too good.)
  • Spider-man (PS4): Huge frame drops (constantly) from 28 to 75 fps. Playing it on low setting with FSR 2.0 (performance) produces the same result. Also, while web swinging, the game freezes every 15 seconds to load in texture. The game is unplayable.
  • God of war: Same issue as spider-man. This time the fps goes from 65 to 18. But it doesn't have the texture poplin issue.
  • Rachet & clank: Same FPS issue as Spider-man and God of War. This time it is 20-84 fps

I think the intel card can't handle PlayStation games.

Oh, I forgot, I played Returnal about 1/2 months ago and it worked without any issue.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Tasnim-Hasan,

I can confirm that the temperature is normal as mentioned in my previous post.

I did check the games you have sent, and I want to let you know that we are currently investigating the issue with the Forza Horizon 5.

As for the Spiderman, God of War and Rachet and Clank, could you tell us the specific distribution platforms (better if you provide links) you got them from (e.g. Steam, Epic Games, etc.) so we can further look into these games as well and conduct proper investigation.

You may also try updating to version: 31.0.101.5333 which is the latest Arc A750 driver at this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html and let us know if the FPS drop still occurs.

I also suggest running System File Checker (SFC) on your system to check and attempt to repair corrupted Windows system files as you appear to encounter out of memory issues even when not playing. Please follow these steps:

1) Open a "Command Prompt" window as administrator.

2) Type in "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) and press Enter. This will take some time.

3) If it finds corrupted files, it will fix it automatically.

4) Once done, restart your computer.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Tasnim-Hasan,

I am just checking in, how is your system going? Are you still experiencing stuttering when playing games? Please let us know by replying to this post, this way, we can continue looking into this for you in case the fps drops still occurs. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Tasnim-Hasan,

We have not heard from you for several days, so we will close this case for now. However, if you need any more help, please do not hesitate to post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos