Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1891 Discussions

Intel ARC A770 rear ports question

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi, we have an ARC A770, i notice it has 4 ports:

• 1 x HDMI
  • 3 x Display Port

I assume the HDMI is version 2 (4k) and the DP also are all 4K?  Will DP also drive HDMI displays as a passive cable used (Display Port to HDMI cable) and full 4k resolution?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your questions.

It is important to add that the display port connection on the Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics is a DP 2.0, and its maximum resolution is 7680 x 4320@60Hz. However, Intel does not recommend using any kind of adapters and can not guarantee 3rd party products/adapters will work as expected. We recommend using a direct connection with a single cable that has the same connection type on both ends (HDMI to HDMI, DP to DP, etc.).

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Will this work with Display Port 1.2 displays?

You may not recommend adapter cables (such as Dp > HDMI), however PNY NVidia / Quadro cards have no issue at all with this, meaning this card is behind current technology, so with all the freezes we are getting this card is likely to be removed and replaced for a genuine NVidia unit if your advice is its not DP++ compliant.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello GRIFFCOMM,

We will look further into this scenario and respond once we have more details.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello GRIFFCOMM,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

After reviewing this matter, we can confirm that the card is DP++ compliant, and as DP 2.0 should be backward compatible with DP 1.4 and DP 1.2 standards, as such it can be possible to use DP-to-HDMI passive converter; however, we can't recommend any particular one nor commit to all adapters out there to work.

If you are experiencing system freezes with this GPU, we can offer to troubleshoot the issue to find the root cause, but we require you to open a new thread.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

UPDATE

We have used the below cable and its working.

• Startech DP2HDMM2MB (Display Port (male) to HDMI (Male) passive adapter cable)

The display is a Samsung C34H89x generation (we are using the HDMI connector as the Display port is used on another system AND we need sound up the HDMI cable).

Side note, there are 2 of the above displays, the other is being used on the same system as HDMI > HDMI, we like to keep the same connector used on the same displays so they both had to be HDMI, it keeps the image specs the same when the display processes the data.

Ticket can be closed.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello GRIFFCOMM,

We are glad to know that the system is working as expected. Thanks for the information provided, hopefully, it will help other community members. Since the thread is now solved, and as per your request, we will close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question since this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos