Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1681 Discussions

Intel Arc A770 16G often has intermittent black screen

HanGeng
Beginner
When playing Genshin Impact or using Edge to browse the web, the display (HDMI to VGA) occasionally turns black for a few seconds, but the sound continues. The graphics card is (GUNNIR) Intel Arc A770 Photon 16G, and the graphics card driver version is 31.0.101.4146 (2023/2/22). I hope Intel engineers can tell me how to solve the above problems
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello HanGeng

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing display issues when using your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics. Please let us know the following information:

• Does the same issue happen if you use a native HDMI connection?
  • What is the monitor's make and model?
  • Have you tried different cables or monitors?
  • Create a log file with the Intel® System Support Utility and attach it. 

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
sosuke91
Beginner

I have the same exact problem. Testing things i saw this is happening when refresh rate is set over 60hz. I tried 120hz and 144hz. Everything is ok while gaming, but when in idle or just browsing the internet, the screen goes black for 1-2 seconds with audio on and then returns. i tested hdmi to hdmi. using different cables, I used intel control to set monitor hz and latest beta driver.  I will test some DP to hdmi cable too and see what happens.

Pc specs:

intel i5 12400f
intel arc a770LE 16gb

ram 32 gb ddr5 4800hz

mobo: b660i gaming wifi rebar enabled

psu corsair rm 850w gold

monitor: omen hp 25" full HD max resolution

Edit: just happened, attached log file with intel ssu

0 Kudos
gargamel314
Novice

Hello @Hugo_Intel 

Same issue, but mine is with Topaz Video Enhance AI. Here is a video of this taking place, if this is any help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pAP6MvT-_an2jgodl_5PmwUFjpzoCZhc/view?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
sosuke91
Beginner

Can't edit anymore, by the way i tested with a Display port cable too, at different hz (120,144), still the same issue. I really think it is something related to the refresh rate but considering i'm not the only one and not only the a770LE is involved, this has to be fixed in some way

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello HanGeng

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? As well as the findings by @sosuke91, please also let us know if the issue only happens when using more than 60Hz refresh rate.

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello @sosuke91

Thank you for sharing your issue with our community. At the moment I would advise you to open a new thread to get a more personalized troubleshooting experience since in case the thread owner does not reply back this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello HanGeng 

I hope you are doing fine. 

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello HanGeng 

We are interested in gathering more information about this issue, so before closing this thread besides the information previously requested in my previous posts, I would like to ask you to create a system report following these instructions. Only use the instruction under Intel Graphics Command Center (Intel GCC):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
sosuke91
Beginner

Hi Hugo_intel,

i'm not the guy you are looking for the answer, but having a similar issue as i replied with arc a770LE and it seems to be fixed. As i previously said, i used some HDMI and DP cables from 3-4 years ago and all of them had the same issue: monitor going on and off while browsing the internet or idle (never while gaming). Then i decided to buy a DP to HDMI cable for a test, from amazon basics, so a cheap but good cable, and surprise, it's working! No more monitor on and off. It's been something like 2-3 weeks i have this cable and for now everything is good (monitor is HP omen 25 or 27" 1080p at 120hz). I'm still using drivers 31.0.101.4146 because i'm fine with them for now. Hope my experience can help someone

0 Kudos
peorg
Novice

Hi, my system with the Intel Arc A770LE 16 GB is also affected by this issue. It seems to be related to vide de/encoding. It may happen every now and then when I watch some video, but once I start to edit videos (using Corel VideoStudio 2023 Ultimate, which explicitly supports Intel Arc) all it takes is previewing the video to cause frequent blackscreens. Generally the performance of the Arc card while video editing is quite abysmal and definitely what it should be.

My monitor is connected natively via a DP cable (v1.2a on the monitor's side, Acer Nitro VG270UP) and running VRR with up to 144 Hz. I doubt it is a cable or monitor issue since this configuration worked perfectly with my former GPU (GTX 1070).

0 Kudos
TheWonderfulPie
New Contributor I

As other users said, I am affected by this issue too. I use DP 1.2, with a Samsung Odyssey G3 (LF24G35TFWUXEN) with VRR enabled (Freesync Premium)

I noticed that it happens a lot with Flight Simulator, and another game that I forgot

It's not frequent enough to say that it's the reason why I would refund my Arc, but incredibly annoying when it happens

0 Kudos
peorg
Novice

Providing an update on my situation:

I completely uninstalled Videostudio 2023, rebooted and reinstalled it. Now video en/decoding with my Arc card seems to work. At least a brief test with a few minutes of video previewing worked with better (albeit still kinda sluggish) performance and no blackouts. 

I tried reinstalling Videostudio before, but without a reboot inbetween (didnt assume it was necessary in that case). Apparently the software was the issue for this problem.

I also changed to a better certified DP cable. While the old no-name cable was supposedly DP 1.4 certified (more than enough for my DP 1.2a display), the new one is a brand product and officially supports even the newest standard DP 2.1. Its now almost half a day without a blackscreen. Promising, but Im not out of the waters yet, as I managed to get about 2 days without blackscreen before (but I wasnt doing any video editing during that time). I'll report back what happens in the next days.

If the cable turns out to be the issue then Intel should think about delivering DP cables with sufficient standard along with the cards, at least if the black screen problem isnt super rare.

Spencer3d
Beginner
I am getting black screen on boot right now. Using an HDMI cable that I had for ps3 3D games. I have a dp cable in the mail if that doesn't fix it I might have to return it. When I boot the Intel Arc RGB freezes and a black screen.
0 Kudos
Spencer3d
Beginner
I got my Samsung g9 today and it will not work with display port. I'm running it with HDMI at 60hz. Might end up returning the card I didn't expect it to give me black screens all the time. Is it supposed to work on a g9 @ 240hz?
0 Kudos
gargamel314
Novice

If it's any help, I've found that reducing the refresh rate has solved this issue. Monitor is IPS 144Hz, I dropped it down to 120Hz and no more black screen. Not a solution per se, since this GPU should be able to handle 144 Hz, but it's a work around.

0 Kudos
bladan
Novice

same problem dark screen for a wile if i'm in desktop or play except for cyberpunk, when happen with cyberpunk stay black untill reset. More or less same pc spec.

Pc specs:

intel i5 12400
intel arc a770LE 16gb

ram corsair 3600 pro SL 2x16 32GB

mobo: Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX DDR4

psu 650w bronze

monitor: MSI Optix MAG301CR2  30" 21:9

0 Kudos
Nc32
Beginner

same problem here, dark screen after playing games for a while.

No sound, no control respond. Have to force restart system.

Pc specs:

intel i5 9600kf
intel arc a770LE 16gb

ram: 16GB

motherboard: MSI Z390I gaming edge ac

psu: cosair SF600  600w

ReBAR enabled, connect using DP.

0 Kudos
Spencer3d
Beginner
RMA the card if your getting black screens. The 16GB works with a g9 @ 240hz.
0 Kudos