Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1782 Discussions

Intel Arc A770 power management

Muza
Novice

Could a gpu firmware update or driver from intel fix the power management issues that the Intel Arc A770 LE have on older platforms?

Please compare screenshots provided below(ASPM Support).

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming (Latest Bios)

CPU : 8600K

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Muza,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities. We can see that you would like to know if a GPU firmware update or driver from Intel fixes the power management issues on older platforms.

Based on your issue, it is important to mention that there is no problem with high power consumption as there is no ideal target for power consumption; however, future drivers and firmware updates might optimize the hardware power draw. However, you can take a look for more recommendations to achieve optimal power consumption. You can take a look at the article High Power Consumption when Intel® Arc™ Graphics Card is Idle.

Best regards

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Muza
Novice
Hello again,
The problem is that why aspm is enabled when using my old GTX 1060 but disabled on the Intel Arc A770 when clearly the Intel Arc A770 needs it the most.
0 Kudos
Bandit8623
New Contributor II

I see you dont have rezizable bar enabled either maybe part of the prob.  i have a z390 pro Gigabyte (very similar).  and have rebar enabled no prob.  

above 4g decoding needs to be on then rebar set to auto in bios.  see if this makes a diff.

Bandit8623_1-1701740576081.png

thx

0 Kudos
Muza
Novice

idle_power.gif

Rebar.png

Rebar is enabled in the bios.

Do you have high idle power consumption too? (35-40w)

If not , did gigabyte provide you with a beta bios?

0 Kudos
Bandit8623
New Contributor II
43 watts. But I have 3 monitors so that's expected. My previous rtx 2070 idled around 38watts with 3 monitors. I'm on the latest bios with rebar support. Your other app earlier showed rebar not enabled but gpu does show it enabled.
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Muza,

Thank you for the inforamtion provided. We would like to look into this matter internally. Allow us some time to research this, and we will post back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Muza,

After looking into this matter, it would be important to mention that your motherboard and CPU are not part of the Supported Hardware Configurations list for Intel Arc A series graphics. We recommend using a 10th-generation processor with an Intel 400 Series motherboard with Resizable BAR support enabled or newer platforms to get the best performance from your Intel® Arc™ Graphics card. Check the article Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics – Desktop Quick Start Guide.

Also, the latest BIOS for your motherboard was released a year before Arc A770 was launched, so we can consider that this issue might be a compatibility problem. Based on this, we would like to recommend you contact Gigabyte support for additional recommendations.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Bandit8623
New Contributor II
Jean..

I don't think this is much help. As all gigabyte z390 boards got rebar support. Your 10th gen and higher is just a safe way to be sure it works. Has nothing to do with the CPU. It's all based on bios and rebar support..
0 Kudos
Muza
Novice

Yes I agree.

Even Z370 which is older got rebar support. Essentially all platform supporting intel 8th gen cpus and up got rebar support.

If the issue is because of bios or compatibility then only Gigabyte in this case would be able to solve this.

But if intel through firmware or driver is disabling ASPM because it is on an old or unsupported platform then maybe intel could fix it.

This is what i want to know.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your comments and new information. We would like to resume our investigation on this matter, and we will post back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Muza,

Thank you for waiting. After discussing with the graphics team, it is essential to mention that the drivers are loaded after the Operating System boots up, which happens after the BIOS step. Unfortunately, drivers cannot perform the task you are describing. Only the motherboard OEM can provide a BIOS update to enable the feature you are requesting.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Bandit8623
New Contributor II

Jean,

if you look at the original post he is showing you that his motherboard does work with the rtx card.  shows aspm enabled.

for the arc card its not working.  the bios has aspm enabled.   

the only difference it seems is the arc card not working with it properly.

same motherboard for both nvidia and intel gpu's  ,  but only the arc card not enabling aspm.  so it seems its a gpu driver or gpu bios problem.

-Jake

Muza
Novice
Yes exactly.
I will try to contact gigabyte anyways.
But i am not expecting gigabyte to change how their old platform bios works for just the intel arc family gpus.
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Everyone,

As we mentioned, the ASMP is a BIOS feature, and the latest BIOS for the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming was released a year before the Intel Arc A770 was released. Based on this, we can consider this issue a compatibility issue, and the ASMP feature of your motherboard BIOS does not support Intel Arc Graphics. So we recommend you contact Gigabyte support as they are the only ones that can provide a BIOS update to enable the feature you are requesting.

Finally, it is important to note that there is no ideal target for power consumption for Intel Arc Graphics. Still, future drivers and Firmware updates might optimize the hardware power draw.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Bandit8623
New Contributor II

Jean,

both out bios's have aspm option to turn on ( the ops and mine).   also they both have rebar option to turn on.  both settings are ON in the bios

the fact that a nvidia card uses aspm just fine points to a intel issue.  

if i was to buy a new nvidia card today 4 years newer than my bios version aspm would work just fine.

thx

0 Kudos
Bandit8623
New Contributor II

@Muza 

From powershell run

powercfg -energy

should give some info on why aspm isnt working.  i havent been home to check mine

0 Kudos
Muza
Novice
Yes I already did that. The only relevant part is this:

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Everyone,

We understand that both motherboards have ASPM options to turned on; however, as we mentioned before, this seems to be part of a compatibility issue with the ASMP feature affecting the Intel Arc Card, but since the ASMP is a BIOS configuration, the only ones that can implement an update to solve this is Gigabyte. Our recommendation remains the same, you should contact Gigabyte support for further support on this matter.

Nevertheless, we will gather all the feedback you have provided to us and we will pass it to the appropriate team for consideration. Unfortunately, we are unable to commit to an outcome or update about this matter.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Muza,

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Muza
Novice

Update:
Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU : 8600K
GPU : Intel Arc A770 16GB LE

After a new bios provided by gigabyte the gpu does go to idle properly now.

ARCA770-ASPM-WORKING.png

0 Kudos