Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1540 Discussions

Intel Driver Support Assistant (IDSA) didn't detect Arc A770 on NUC 12 Extreme

UnCoreM
New Contributor I

The Intel Driver Support Assistant (IDSA) won't detect Arc A770 on my NUC 12 Extreme (NUC12EDBi9).  I tried several times to 'refresh' and reboot, looked through BIOS settings, and even reset my BIOS settings to the "optimal defaults" just in case.

BIOS:  EDADL579.0055.2022.0901.1258 (latest, apparently from 9/1/2022)

Hopefully, Intel can debug the IDSA issue to resolve before the next customer sees this.

But, I'm not experimenting further, since I finally downloaded & installed the driver.  Looks fine and now the Arc shows up in the IDSA graphics list as you'd expect.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @UnCoreM

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening with the Intel® DSA. 

Please, answer these questions to have a better perspective of this issue: 

1. Is your Intel Arc graphics card getting detected in the Device Manager? 
  2. Does your Intel Arc graphics card having issues itself or is it just Intel® DSA that is not detecting the graphics card? 
  3. Run and attach the report of the following utility to confirm if your Intel Arc graphics card gets detected: 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
UnCoreM
New Contributor I

Hi Jocelyn ,

In the original post, I wrote that I:
"I finally downloaded & installed the driver.  Looks fine and now the Arc shows up in the IDSA graphics list as you'd expect."
So, it feels like your response was automatically generated.

I can remove the SSD having my already working Windows + driver install, then start over with Windows 11 and a separate SSD.  That will take some time to start over.  I will try to do that in the middle of next week.

Regards,
Corey

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @UnCoreM

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response.

Just to clarify, could you please confirm if you were able to download and install the Arc 770 driver through IDSA or if you had to look it up manually on our Download Center to be able to do so?

We appreciate your efforts on this matter. If you are going to reinstall Windows and test if the same issue happens, please let us know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
UnCoreM
New Contributor I

I had manually gone to the download center.

In order to reproduce the original issue, I can remove the SSD having my already working Windows + driver install, then start over with Windows 11 and a separate SSD.  That will take some time to start over.  I will try to do that in the middle of this week.

I'm willing to try the above steps anyway because I have to find out why trying to have Windows enter SLEEP crashes and reboots the system.  I'm not sure whether sleep was not working for the NUC 12 Extreme originally or got broken when I added the Arc A770.

Regards,
Corey

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @UnCoreM

Thank you for your troubleshooting steps on this issue, please take all the time you need and let us know the outcome. 

Regarding your second issue, please provide us with the following information: 

1. Do the crashes and reboots happen only in Sleep mode? 
  2. How do you put the NUC in Sleep mode? What are the settings or method you are using? 
  3. Does this issue still happen when you remove the video card A770 or is it fixed once you remove it? 
  4. Run the following utility and attach the report for further investigation: 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
UnCoreM
New Contributor I

Thanks for the reply.  We may have narrowed the problem with your questions...  

1. Do the crashes and reboots happen only in Sleep mode? 
  2. How do you put the NUC in Sleep mode? What are the settings or method you are using? 
  3. Does this issue still happen when you remove the video card A770 or is it fixed once you remove it? 
  4. Run the following utility and attach the report for further investigation: 

#1 - The issue is only when asking Windows to sleep OR when Windows tries to sleep after no activity.  I looked at Windows Event Viewer and see 'Critical' entries like:  System, Kernel-Power "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly"

#2 - The problem is always reproduceable using the regular Windows 11 "Power" menu -> "Sleep" button.  Also, I originally noticed this was happening because Windows defaults automatically to sleep I think every 15 minutes when no user activity.  So, basically that also crashes and I saw a bunch of events with the same error.  I had to turn off sleep and do not see the system crash at all as long as it doesn't go to sleep.

#3 - I disconnected the power to the Arc A770 card (and only Intel Integrated Graphics is in Device Manager) and that appears to fix the sleep crash.

#4 - Intel SSU report sent in private message to @Jocelyn_Intel 

Problem seems related to Arc A770 graphics card.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @UnCoreM

Thank you for the information provided. 

I could notice that your BIOS version is outdated, please update your BIOS to the latest version 0056. These are the BIOS update instructions so you can perform this step and test the NUC again with the sleep mode and the Intel graphics card A770 in it again. 

If the issue persists, please provide me with a new Intel® SSU report to investigate this issue in our team. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
UnCoreM
New Contributor I

Thanks.

After BIOS 0056 update, still have same problem.

I sent latest Intel SSU report in private message to @Jocelyn_Intel 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @UnCoreM

Thank you for the new report. 

In that case, we will investigate this issue, as soon as I have updates or suggestions about this issue, I will post them here. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @UnCoreM

Thank you for your time. 

We recommend you to use the latest Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - WHQL - Windows* version, please, let us know the result. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
UnCoreM
New Contributor I

Thanks.  Same problem after installing Graphics Driver 31.0.101.4032 for Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics and Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics

I sent latest Intel SSU report in private message to @Jocelyn_Intel

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @UnCoreM

Thank you for your new report provided. 

Let me investigate further, I will let you know about any updates in this post soon. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @UnCoreM

Thank you for your time. 

We checked the reports and your NUC is working as expected, so we are moving this thread to the Intel® ARC™ Graphics forum, to continue with the assistance with your Intel® Arc Graphics card, to troubleshoot this issue from another perspective. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello UnCoreM,

I am from the Intel® ARC™ Graphics team, please to have a better understanding of the situation answer the questions below:

• Take a video of the SLEEP issue.
  • I noticed you installed graphics driver 31.0.101.4032, this time let's do a clean installation of the graphics driver BETA version 31.0.101.4034.

Driver Download:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/729157/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-beta-windows.html

Installation steps:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
UnCoreM
New Contributor I

Hi @Andres_Intel ,

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure what I can take a video of.  I have Windows 11.  SLEEP is just the normal Windows trying to sleep (after the default timeout ~20 minutes).  The system crashes killing Windows ungracefully and powers off.  The similar manual steps are...

1. press Windows "Start" button
  2. in Start menu, press "Power" button.
  3. in the popup menu, press "Sleep".
  4. But the system just fully powers off and won't wake on any key press.

I know it crashed because when I look in the Windows Event Viewer I see a 'Critical' entry:  System, Kernel-Power "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly".

In a previous experiment, I have unplugged power to the Arc card.  Then sleep and wake function normally.

I will wait for your response to what other info you'd like me to capture before I try that BETA driver.

Regards,
Corey

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello UnCoreM,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
UnCoreM
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello UnCoreM,

Thank you for your response. All the information provided has been really helpful.

Please follow the steps below to capture all the necessary information:

• Take a video of the whole process, when you press the sleep button and then try to wake the computer up.
  • Take screenshots of the error messages of the event viewer.
  • After the previous steps are completed, do a clean installation of the graphics driver BETA version 31.0.101.4090.

Driver Download:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/729157/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-beta-windows.html

Installation steps:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello UnCoreM,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos