Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1947 Discussions

Performance alternating, coil whine, fans turning on/off all the time.

Jorn-T
New Contributor I

Hi!

We just got a new computer with Intel Arc A770 card (From Sparkle).

Running Windows 11 and the very latest .5085 driver. Tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

Running on a ASUS B760 DDR4 Wifi Plus motherboard with the latest BIOS, an i5-13500 and 32 GB 3600 Mhz.

We have several problems:

Performance is alternating every few seconds, for example, FPS in Fortnite alternates between roughly 80 FPS to 120 FPS. We get an annoying coil whine when running at 120 FPS. 

BZZZZT ...............  BZZZZT ................... BZZZZZT

120 fps - 80 fps - 120 fps - 80 fps - 120 fps... and so on.

Also, the fans are not running according to the fan curve. If set to auto, even at idle, they spin up, and down every three to five seconds. Extremely annonying sound! 

If the fan curve is set manually, for example 0% - 0% - 30% - 50% - 70% - 90%, the fans will continue the same annoying on/off, alternating between 0-1400 rpm every few seconds.

Setting the fan curve to always on, for example, 30% - 30% - 30% - 50% - 70% - 90% will make the fans run at 1400, but they STOP every few seconds. Running 10 seconds, stopping for a second or two, running 10 seconds, almost stopping for a second, spinning up again..   

Drawing 40W at idle is causing the fans to never be silent more than a second or two. You should at least set the fans to run longer than just the half a second needed to get the temperature down by one degree. Instead of running 0 -1400 - 0 - 1400 - 0 - 1400 every three seconds, the fans could run @ 1000 rpm or less for 15 seconds to cool the GPU a lot more, from 50 to 35 degrees maybe, and then having at least a minute of two of silence before starting up again. The way the fans are set up now, they won't last long. Maybe 1000 on/off cycles per hour. 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Catulpos_Intel
Employee

Hello Jorn-T,

Thank you for posting in Intel community and I am sorry to hear that you experience such issues with the Intel Arc A770 graphics card from Sparkle. Rest assured that we will do our best to be of service to you.

For us to effectively assist you, please provide the following information:

• Power Supply Unit:
  • How did you install the driver mentioned?
  • Is it a newly built system?
  • Is it normally working before?
  • If it does, may we know the recent hardware or software changes made before the issue happened?
  • How is your system utilized?
  • Have you enabled V-sync?
  • Please provide the SSU logs, kindly refer to this article for your complete guide, How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows* and attached the txt file here.

Looking forward to your response. Have a great day!

Best regards,

Catulpos_Intel

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jorn-T
New Contributor I
It is as I wrote, a new computer.

I think, maybe, the fan problems were introduced after upgrading the graphics driver to a newer version.

Found the driver on intel.com, along with chipset drivers. Upgraded to v. 5186 today, still the same problems.

In Fortnite, with DirectX11 or "Performance mode", it is just as if the graphics card is running at half speed, not utilizing the processing power.

PSU is a 650W Cooler Master.
Intel i5 13500 CPU,
32 GB 3600 MHz RAM, ASUS B760 motherboard, latest BIOS.

You should fix the fan control, spinning up the fans from 0 - 1400 every three seconds will probably kill the fans after a while.. But with the noise it creates, I probably will exchange it for a different graphics card before it comes to that..
0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel
Employee

Hello Jorn_T,

Thank you for your detailed response. We know the importance of having your issue resolved and we will do our best to assist you.

You mentioned that the fan problem occurred when you updated your driver, hence, may we know why you updated your driver? Also, could you kindly confirm if the graphics card is working normally before you updated its drivers?

Please provide the SSU logs as well as the Intel Arc Control logs so we could investigate the issue further.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Catulpos_Intel

0 Kudos
riazoo518
Beginner

"Hey there! Seems like you're facing some performance and fan curve issues with your Intel Arc A770 card. Have you checked for any firmware updates for the card? Also, consider monitoring temperatures to ensure it's not causing the frequent fan adjustments. Others with similar setups, any suggestions? #TechHelp #IntelArc"#leather car seat covers

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel
Employee

Hello Jorn-T,

I hope you are doing well today.

I just want to check if you were able to view the message we recently posted. Please let us know if you require further assistance or might need more time to complete the required action.

Thanks, and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Catulpos_Intel

0 Kudos
Jorn-T
New Contributor I

Do you ask WHY I updated the driver??

The OLD intel Arc770 drivers are known to have very bad performance. 

Send me the fan control source code and I'll fix it myself.

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel
Employee

Hello Jorn-T, 

I understand that the reason why you wanted to update your drivers is to fix the issues as much as I wanted to provide you the information you requested, we only have limited resources. Also, for us to conduct additional research on your query, we humbly request you to provide the following information as it will help us collate all the vital information. 

After the above information are provided, we will then go ahead and coordinate this with our engineers to conduct additional investigation. 

I appreciate your kind understanding and have a nice day!

Best regards, 

JCatulpos

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel
Employee

Hello Jorn-T

I just want to check if you were able to view the previous post. Please let us know if you need more time to provide the requested information so we could adjust accordingly.

Best regards,

JCatulpos

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jorn-T, 

As we have not heard a response from you in the past few days, we will proceed in closing this case. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Jorn-T
New Contributor I
Still having the same problem.

You should tell your developers to set up the fan control this way:

If the temperature goes above a given threshold, have the fans spin up to roughly 1000 rpm, then, if temperature goes down below the threshold, let the fans spin down to 6-800 rpm, or whatever minimum speed is needed to keep the fans spinning. Let them spin silently, and DO NOT stop the fans unless the temperature is WELL below the threshold, say 15 degrees below.

The fans should NOT spin right up to 1400 RPM, and stop spinning completely every few seconds as they do now, while temperature is changing between 50,1 degree and 49,9 degrees. It's extremely noisy and unpleasant, and this behaviour will also probably kill the fans before warranty runs out.

I could write the code for you if you want.
0 Kudos
Jorn-T
New Contributor I

Just have a look at the attached screenshot. The fan curve error is visible at the top right of the image.  

0 Kudos
ochompskr
Novice

having the same problem in my new 310.  look at this thread for more information, Intel, it tells you exactly the problem - https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/With-fan-curve-and-1st-two-positions-set-to-30-GPU-fans/m-p/1572549

i have through this weekend to decide to keep this and ill probably be sending it back.  

0 Kudos