Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1752 Discussions

Starfield crash on new-game

wolly
Novice

Dear Intel forum,

Firstly this is my first time using this forum, so if I'm not using it correctly please let me know and I'll adjust.

I recently purchased starfield on PC to play and It wont run. I am using an arc a770 so I'm making a report here so that this issue can get looked into.

Following the guidelines here is my systems basic info:

•  OS gentoo linux (kernel version 6.9.3), which as intel arc drivers are bundled with the kernel gives my driver version too.
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
  • GPU: Intel arc a770LE
  • Ram: 64gb
  • PSU: ROG LOKI SFX-L 1000W Platinum
  • Mobo: ROG STRIX X670E-I GAMING WIFI

I'm trying to run starfield from steam using the latest proton experimental.

Steps to reproduce: Game downloads and launches normally, as well as compiles shaders correctly. Clicking new game causes freeze and then crash after a few seconds (on lowest graphics with and without up-scaling enabled)

Whilst I'm somewhat new to linux I am pretty competent in general with using a PC so if anyone needs any more data / logfiles / dotfiles whatever please just ask and I will endevour to provide.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
wolly
Novice

Op here, also come to think about it my graphics performance has been off for a few days. I *think* the instigator was moving from kernel 6.9.1 to 6.9.3 but it could have been moving from 6.8.9to 6.9.1 that did it. The issues I have been having is random crashes in Fo4 (where beforehand i prolly had 1 maybe 2 crashes in hundreds of hrs now I am having crashes every few hours). also cyberpunk 2077 loads but crashes in the character creation screen.

I know theses are separate issues but knowledge of them may help in diagnostics.

0 Kudos
wolly
Novice

Hi, just got some more info:

running lspci -nnk on my system gives the follwoing remarks:

• 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation DG2 [Arc A770] [8086:56a0] (rev 08)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:1020]
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915
  • 6c:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raphael [1002:164e] (rev c1)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8877]
    Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
    Kernel modules: amdgpu

showing that both gpus in my system are using the correct drivers. However, the report from the ssu utility states that my a770 is using the amdgpu drivers. Report is attached. I think this issue is worth looking into further.

0 Kudos
wolly
Novice

I have more info to share. Attached is my steam proton log for this issues with Starfield.

0 Kudos