Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1741 Discussions

Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun freeze/crash

RestlessRust
Beginner

I periodically encounter a Boltgun (on Steam) screen freeze then crash, seemingly at random times on my 7 day old ASRock A770 PG 16GO. The screen will freeze but audio will continue to play normally. Then after 2 minutes an error message is displayed "The UE4-Bolotgun Game has crashed..." It has occurred shortly after starting the game, other times after long play periods. And when there is no action or a lot of action on screen. See screenshots of the error message and of my video card telemetry (which I had enabled on screen at the time to capture stats in the event of a crash).

GPU Core Power and GPU Activity dropped drastically after the crash and are not representative in the screenshot. They were at approximately 85W and 80% in this specific crash. Today's crash was the first occurrence since updating to driver 31.0.101.4644, which I had hoped would correct the issue. Unfortunately it has not. I have a support case open with the game's publisher to investigate from that side. Other than the periodic screen freeze, the game runs flawlessly smooth at 1440p 144fps. I couldn't ask for better performance in this particular game. Thank you.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello RestlessRust

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communites. I see that you are experiencing crashes when playing Warhammer 40K: Boltgun on your system.

In order to ensure full compatibility and better performance we recommend enabling Resizable Bar, can you confirm if this is enabled on your system? As well from the log file that you shared with us, I noticed the latest driver is installed, if not done yet, I would advise reinstalling the driver using Display Driver Uninstaller to make sure there are no conflicting driver files on the system.

From what I read from your post the issue can happen at any time either at the beginning of the game or after playing for a long time, from your gameplays so far is there a scenario/zone or specific steps you have identified that we can follow to trigger this issue? Also, it will be useful if you could share with us a screenshot of the in-game graphics settings or confirm if the issue happens regardless of the graphics settings so we can test in proper condition if needed.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
RestlessRust
Beginner

Yes, I can confirm that Above 4G decoding and CAM are both enabled in the BIOS. Resizable BAR is also displayed as enabled in the ARC Control app. 

I have reinstalled the driver but still encounter the freeze periodically.  4577 and 4644 are the only two driver versions that I've had installed.  On a side note... My ARC 770 is the only video card that's been installed on this PC. There are no leftover driver remnants of other graphics adapter installations to possibly conflict with.

As I mentioned, there appears to be no particular scenario or occurrence that triggers the freeze.  It can happen at any time.  And there have been long play periods when a freeze never occurs.  I'd also like to mention that only the game crashes, never Windows. I've also experimented with various in-game graphical settings (there aren't much) to narrow it down, but without success so far. The game runs very, very well at even the highest settings.  To be fair,  Boltgun is not much of a graphical challenge for this latest generation of video cards. But it is a DirectX 11 game. And I have a hunch that is where my Arc 770 is encountering a random compatibility glitch. 

I still have a case opened with the game's publisher. This may turn out to be a game/DirectX/IntelARC compatibility bug that they'll need to address in a game patch. 

Or maybe it's a driver issue on Intel's side.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello RestlessRust

Thank you for sharing the information with us. Allow me to take a further look at this issue with our team. We are willing and open to testing and checking if the issue might be related to the drivers or to the game itself. Once we have more information related to this issue I will let you know.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello RestlessRust

We just wanted to let you know that we are testing Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun but we have not experienced any crashes at the moment, however, taking into consideration you mentioned the issue is random we are looking to do longer sessions on this game to make sure if the issue can be triggered. Please bear with us while we continue to test the game. We will continue to post once there is new information available.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello RestlessRust

We tested this game a few times in our lab but there has not been any crash so far in our playthroughs. I understand from your previous posts that this seems to be totally random and can happen at the very beginning or after a few hours of playing, however, I wanted to ask in case you continued to play this game since the thread was opened if you have noticed any pattern or scenario in which is more likely for these crashes to happen?

Also, I wanted to let you there have been a couple of drier updates, I would advise updating to the latest version 31.0.101.4672 and if possible reinstalling the game or verifying its data integrity from Steam to make sure there are no issues with its data files.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello RestlessRust

Were you able to reinstall the game on your system or verify its data integrity? Please let us know if the issue still happens and also check the driver was updated to the latest version. As informed in our previous post we tested the game and there were no crashes so it would be better to complete the advised troubleshooting steps.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello RestlessRust

As recommended in our previous post we hope that checking the data integrity or reinstalling the game as well as updating your driver helped with fixing the constant crashes on Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun. Since we have not heard back from yo we will be closing this thread but feel free to open a new topic if you need further assistance.

Best Regards

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello RestlessRust

Before closing this thread besides the steps we previously shared and in case the issue is still present from your side, we wanted to recommend that you reach out to the game developer the crashing issue could not be replicated on our end it suggests the graphics driver is working correctly and the issue might be due to corrupted game files.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos