Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

AMT Director unprovision's problem ? - Need to reflash BIOS

hoang_uong
Beginner
Hi,
I have a Weybridge systemad I use DTK V0.39 and 0.40c.
I try to use the AMT Director to play with the 'unprovision' - My goal is to find a way to unprovision an AMT device from 'Enterprise' to 'SMB'.

This is what I see:
Case 1: After I do partial unprovision from 'Enterprise' (0TC TLS). The AMT Director can not connect to the AMT device anymore. I found that The AMT device was set to 'Enterprise' (TLS PKI), this is why I can not connect back o te AMT device. It seems the only way to go back to SMB is :
step 1: reset te BIOS to manufactury setup
step 2: enable the MEBx to SMB
Is it the right way to do ?

Case 2: I have an AMT device setup in SMB mode. I use AMT Director to unprovision it by select 'keep the current setup'. Now, I can not connect to the AMT device anymore. Now, the AMT device is 'DISABLED' even I can log into the MEBx and see the device is still in SMB mode (it looks fine as expected). Why the device is DISABLED ( I can not enable it).
Now, I try to reset the device to manufactury setup, BUT this option is not existed anymore. So, the device got stuck with DISABLED. The only way out is I have to reflash the whole new BIOS.
It looks like the Director killed the MEBx !

Thanks,

-hoang

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee
Hi Hoang,

First, I want to congradulate you because you are one of the very few people to try Intel AMT Directior in such details, I spent many 100's of hours building Intel AMT Director and I am very happy you are using it.

I know about these problems! It would be very useful to be able to change from SMB to Enterprise and back remotly, and it is very annoying to me that it can't be done. I also have seen so very bad things happen when doing "Full Un-Provisioning" using Intel AMT. If you change from enterprise to SMB, the MEBx gets stuck. I reported this problem 6 months ago to the AMT engineering team, but they did not want to try and did not believe me.

If you do a "full un-provision", Intel AMT will NOT try to contact Director anymore, and you I have seen these problems of AMT being stuck. Maybe I should put a big warning on the UI. Right now, I only test "partial un-provision" to make sure everything works with Director, and that usualy works very well.

Sorry I can't help, your data is very accurate and the Intel AMT development team needs to get a copy of your mail!

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)
0 Kudos
hoang_uong
Beginner
Ylian,

Thanks so much for your support. The AMT Director is very useful tool and I will spend more time to investigate its potentials. I am looking into this tool to find an automated way to provision/unprovision multi AMT machines.

Thank you for the nice tool.

-hoang

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee
Thanks,

Intel AMT Direcor is far from complete. I would like it to be able to configure all the other settings of Intel AMT, not just security. If you need to setup a lot of wireless profiles, system defense, etc. It would be very useful. I also want to work on batch monitoring tools like Intel AMT Monitor, I don't have much time to work on all of the DTK, I work full time on it and I don't see any end in sight!

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)
0 Kudos