Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

AMT/MEBx on an Acer T661 Veriton desktop

snugglebugs
Beginner

I mistakenly installed the XP Pro sp3 OS before using CTRL+P to setup MEB etc. I used CTRL+P on reboot after the OS installation completed. The Acer instructions are appallingly bad :-(

I have been told that doing it in that order damaged the MBR and/or the MPT. Is that correct?

Certainly I have had nothing but trouble since then with the computer freezing at odd times.

As I can't see much benefit in my circumstances in having this software installed, how can I remove it? If I do, will I get better OS performance?

If I cannot remove it, then how can I repair the damage?

Tony

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Setting up MEBx after installing the OS will not create any issues as you have mentioned here. Intel AMT is independent of the OS status. Please ensure that you have all the drivers installed. check the Acer site and make sure that you have the latest Bios etc. If that doesn't help, i would re-install the OS. You can see details on how to setup Intel AMT here.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Have you tried doing a "repair" on the OS? We have seen on occasion weird things happening with the OS after a Firmware Upgrade (and possible doing this priorto configuring AMT)and we can't explain why that would be. Once the OS is repaired everything is OK. Is AMT working for you? Is it just a problem with the OS?

Have you tried repairing the OS?

0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

If you no longer want to use AMT on this system you can remove the drivers from the operating system and you can disable AMT in the BIOS.

Under normal operation it should not affect the performance of the OS, but may be possible if there are some issues.

0 Kudos
snugglebugs
Beginner

Thanks for the replies. My ISP crashed its countrywide network this week, so it is only today that I have been able to get back online!

From the replies, I think it is time to clarify a few things.

Yes, I have used the ALT+F10 reinstallation method for the OS. The problems are now less, but still giving me trouble. That is why it was suggested to me that the MBR/MPT were corrupted.I installed Recovery Console so as to be able to use fixboot and fixmbr, but every time I choose the RC option on boot, the dreaded blue screen appears!

I have NO idea what the Intel AMT/MBEx system can do or how it works. The Intel website is so astonishingly unclear in the basics. For example, what is the overall purpose of the system, and how does the hardware work. I can gather only that it is something to do with remote configuration of a network of computers and the hardware has inbuilt software that can work as long as the main board has power and an active LAN. I also gather that there is some mysterious thing called Intel SCS that can do that. But where I find that SCS, i have no idea.

The ONLY reason I have it activated on my computer is because the appallingly bad Acer instructions told me to install it!

The ONLY reason I installed it AFTER the OS was because of the intitial sequence - first I switched on the computer for the first time. Second, the CTRL+P instruction is onscreen for such a short time that by the time I moved my fingers to the right keys. it had gone. THEN the hidden partition kicked in the offer me a choice of OS firsttime installation. There was NOTHING at any time that said "Whoa, stop and start again with AMT/MBEx"

As far as I can see, I DON'T want this Intel feature. One of you mentioned removing it. Great, please let me have step-by-step instructions as how to get rid of ALL of it!!!

Finally, I think that it has to be conflicting at some level with the OS. None of the usual fixes have cured the freezing problem, and it not only occurs once the XP OS is running, but can even happen when I first turn on the computer each day. If that happens, then the CTRL+P screen freezes. If I restart, then I might get beyond that, but then it sometimes happens that the loading bar on the XP screen freezes and again I have to restart.

Thanks in advance

Tony

0 Kudos
snugglebugs
Beginner
PSI forgot this extra question. Why does the computer power on light flash when I haven't even restarted it. And then at odd times after I have started to OS?
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Intel AMT is an Out of Band Management solution and is independent of the OS. If you are not using this feature, as Lance mentioned in previous response, you can uninstall the drivers and disable in in the Bios.

For getting into the Bios for disabling this, hit Ctrl+P and disable Intel ME feature.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
snugglebugs
Beginner

Thanks Sree.

More buzzwords I am afraid smiley [:-)] What does "an Out of Band Management solution" actually mean? The promoter of a jazz band?! That is an indication of the problem I had trying to find information on the Intel website where the jargon hides the facts. (I started with computers in the 1960's when the OS was all on a 360k floppy. I have used most of the OSs since then, but I don't think I need to bother with this extra complication!)

The link to a document that someone else sent did not help as I don't want to spend hours trying to understand the great detail contained in it, regarding something that it is becoming increasingly clear that I won't ever use. So please bear with me and give three simple answers.

Tony

1.What steps are needed to disable ME after I hit CTRL+P?

2.What steps are necessary to remove all the drivers?

3.What extra steps are necessary to clean out any other Intel software related to AMT/MBEx?

By the way, the comment about AMT not affecting the OS - think of AMT like a back-seat-driver who suddenly shouts STOP! to the driver. Although the BSD doesn't have any actual control of the car, the car will stop it the actual driver (the OS) obeys the command. Then the car effectively freezes and only restarting (rebooting) will get the system moving again. Thus, in that sense, AMT can freeze my computer as I said. I did not say it freezes the OS as such.

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Out-of-Band Management means you can manage your client system remotely using Intel AMT even if the OS is down as long as it is connected to an AC power source and proper drivers installed.

Now, coming to your questions:

1. What steps are needed to disable ME after I hit CTRL+P?

The Bios implementations vary between the different OEMs and since i don't have an Acer T661 stystem with me , i can't see how your Bios screens look like. But in general, this is what you have to do:

(a) Get into the Intel ME (Manageability Engine) Configuration screen. It will ask you for the password. The default username and password is admin. You need to change your password to a stronger value; the guidelines can be seen here.

(b) Select Intel ME state Control and set the state to Disable

(c) Save and exit the Bios.

2. What steps are necessary to remove all the drivers?

For removing all the Intel AMT drivers and software, get into the Add/Remove Programs and remove Intel Management Engine Interface and Intel Active Management Technology Device software.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
snugglebugs
Beginner

Sree

I have carried out the steps you describe and have two "problems" left. Maybe you can comment on these?

Tony

1.After those steps, the System hardware/device managerinformation then showed a yellow ! against Intel Management Engine Interface. I disabled it to then show the red X instead and then went to the driver information and Uninstalled.

That seemed to create problems!!! But the next time I restarted, the OS reported that it had found new hardware and installed it.

That got the yellow ! backso I have left it untouched. Is that the right thing to do?

2.The computer Power light flashes from time to time. Is that anything to do with AMT/MEB?

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

1. This says that you haven't properly configured Intel AMT and loaded all the drivers. If you are not using Intel AMT, you can ignore this.

2. I don't think it has anything to do with Intel AMT.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos