Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

AMT SDK examples don't compile w/ VS 2008

jimbo_b_
Beginner

What I want to use is VS 2010 on Windows 7. I noticed on the AMT SDK page it says there's a known issue that stuff won't compile on Win 7, so I'm trying on Win XP and VS 2008 to start with, since that appears to be closest to what this stuff was originally made with (it says the Redirection sample is VS 2005 project)

When I do the VS 2005->2008 conversion I get one warning on XP and a different one on Win 7. I'll post Win XP for now:

Conversion Issues - IMRGUISample.vcproj: Web deployment to the local IIS server is no longer supported. The Web Deployment build tool has been removed from your project settings. Project file successfully backed up as 'Z:\AMT8.1.4198\Windows\Intel_AMT\Samples\Redirection\IMRGUI\IMRGUISample.vcproj.8.00.old'. Project upgraded successfully. This application has been updated to include settings related to the User Account Control (UAC) feature of Windows Vista. By default, when run on Windows Vista with UAC enabled, this application is marked to run with the same privileges as the process that launched it. This marking also disables the application from running with virtualization. You can change UAC related settings from the Property Pages of the project.

OK, that doesn't seem to be too serious, so I then just try to build the solution, just like in your demo videos. And I get:

1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: IMRGUISample, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

1>Deleting intermediate and output files for project 'IMRGUISample', configuration 'Debug|Win32'

1>IMRGUISample : error PRJ0006 : Could not open the temporary file 'z:\AMT8.1.4198\Windows\Intel_AMT\Samples\Redirection\IMRGUI\Debug\RSP00000740204008.rsp'. Make sure the file exists and that the directory is not write-protected.

1>IMRGUISample : error PRJ0006 : Could not open the temporary file 'z:\AMT8.1.4198\Windows\Intel_AMT\Samples\Redirection\IMRGUI\Debug\RSP00000840204008.rsp'. Make sure the file exists and that the directory is not write-protected.

1>Compiling...

1>Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning '/Od'.

1>IMRGUISample : error PRJ0006 : Could not open the temporary file 'z:\AMT8.1.4198\Windows\Intel_AMT\Samples\Redirection\IMRGUI\Debug\RSP00000940204008.rsp'. Make sure the file exists and that the directory is not write-protected.

1>IMRGUISample : error PRJ0004 : Could not generate command line for the 'VCBscMakeTool' tool.

1>Build log was saved at "file://z:\AMT8.1.4198\Windows\Intel_AMT\Samples\Redirection\IMRGUI\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

1>IMRGUISample - 5 error(s), 0 warning(s)

========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Alright, no idea what to do about that.

Thoughts?

JB

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jimbo_b_
Beginner

And here's what I see when I try to compile with VS2010 on Win 7:

Conversion Issues - IMRGUISample.vcproj:Web deployment to the local IIS server is no longer supported. The Web Deployment build tool has been removed from your project settings.Project file successfully backed up as 'C:\Users\jimbo\Desktop\AMT8.1.4198\Windows\Intel_AMT\Samples\Redirection\IMRGUI\IMRGUISample.vcproj.8.00.old'.Project upgraded successfully.This application has been updated to include settings related to the User Account Control (UAC) feature of Windows Vista. By default, when run on Windows Vista with UAC enabled, this application is marked to run with the same privileges as the process that launched it. This marking also disables the application from running with virtualization. You can change UAC related settings from the Property Pages of the project.

and then

1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: IMRGUISample, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

1>Deleting intermediate and output files for project 'IMRGUISample', configuration 'Debug|Win32'

1>Compiling...

1>CertDlg.cpp

1>c:\users\jimbo\desktop\amt8.1.4198\windows\intel_amt\samples\redirection\imrgui\include\stdafx.h(22) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory

1>Creating browse information file...

1>Microsoft Browse Information Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.30729

1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

1>BSCMAKE: error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\Debug\IMRGUI.sbr': No such file or directory

1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\jimbo\Desktop\AMT8.1.4198\Windows\Intel_AMT\Samples\Redirection\IMRGUI\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

1>IMRGUISample - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

So what dev env do people actually use to make this work?!

JB

0 Kudos
jimbo_b_
Beginner

I should mention that I'm using VS Express in all cases. Do all these samples require VS Professional or something? And if so, is there any way to just get binaries? All I want to do is run a simple application to confirm I can connect to a machine's SOL port!

JB

0 Kudos
jimbo_b_
Beginner

In the end I just found someone who had VS 2010 Pro, and still even on their machine (after having to fix the project properties since it didn't like the exe being called something different than the project name), it said

LINK: fatal error LNK 1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt.

So there you have it, it doesn't even work with VS pro.

JB

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

You need MSVS 2008 with SP1 (Professional Edition.) Do you have SP1 installed?  You also need the MS Platform SDK to be installed.  There are further instructions in the Implementation and reference guide: http://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm

Search for compile and then take a look at the General Requirements link.

0 Kudos
jimbo_b_
Beginner

I don't really want to buy a super old version of visual studio and become a developer just to try AMT SOL out. Are there no binaries available that just connect to an AMT SOL port and spit out the characters which are written to the AMT serial port? Can Intel not make them and distribute them for some reason?

JB

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

There is an IMRGUI exe in the SDK - you can run that as a standalone tool or you can use the Open Manageability DTK and connect to and manage your systems.  The source code is also is available with the DTK.

http://opentools.homeip.net/open-manageability

0 Kudos
jimbo_b_
Beginner

Thanks! More specifically (for the googles) the correct binary for this sort of testing is in <AMTSDK>\Windows\Intel_AMT\Bin\Redirection\IMRGUI.exe

JB

0 Kudos