Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

AMT: how to restart the hello message algorithm expires after 24 hours

Roseele_Dahang
Beginner
Hi Everyone, Experts, thinkers...

Hope you dont mind if I may ask how to restart the hello message algorithm if it expires after 24 hours without rebooting the terminal or diconnecting its power source? like is there a function that will restart the hello message algorithm? I humbly look forward to any response... (the AMT version I was running on is below 4.0, I havent touched on 4.0 implementation..)

Thanks -Sel
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
We need to know exactly what version you are running, because it does make a difference for how hello packets will work.
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - rdahang
Hi Everyone, Experts, thinkers...

Hope you dont mind if I may ask how to restart the hello message algorithm if it expires after 24 hours without rebooting the terminal or diconnecting its power source? like is there a function that will restart the hello message algorithm? I humbly look forward to any response... (the AMT version I was running on is below 4.0, I havent touched on 4.0 implementation..)

Thanks -Sel

Sel,
Are you familiar with the Activator tool? http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-vpro-technology-activator-utility/.

Like Roger said the version you have is important (I know Activator works on 3.x systems, and I think it works on 2.6 systems but I'm not 100% sure on that), but it will certainly restart the hello packets. It is an OS based utility instead of a command sent directly to AMT, but maybe it will meet your needs.
0 Kudos
Roseele_Dahang
Beginner
Hi Roger and Andrew,

Imvery gladfor your replies. The AMT version I was working on is AMT ver. 2.2.1, I'm still not familiar on the Vpro Activator Utility but I really find it very helpful. In its userguide, i have a follow-up question about on the specific explanation or what is theflowor the steps on running it Automatically not manually?Dear experts I am really confusedon thistechnology having a c++ codes...
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - rdahang
Hi Roger and Andrew,

Imvery gladfor your replies. The AMT version I was working on is AMT ver. 2.2.1, I'm still not familiar on the Vpro Activator Utility but I really find it very helpful. In its userguide, i have a follow-up question about on the specific explanation or what is theflowor the steps on running it Automatically not manually?Dear experts I am really confusedon thistechnology having a c++ codes...

I'm not completely sure I understand your question on the difference between Automatic and Manually running the tool, so I apologize if I answer it wrong. All Automatic mode means is that an existing console is used to both deploy the Activator executable in the OS and script the call to it. There's no real functional difference with manual mode, where the arguments are passed to activator using the command line. In Automatic mode the arguments would still be passed to the executable using the command line, it's just that this would be scripted and run remotelyinstead of typed in at the computer.

Could you explain what you mean when you say this technology has C++ codes? Do you mean that some of the tools are implemented in C++?
0 Kudos
Roseele_Dahang
Beginner

I'm not completely sure I understand your question on the difference between Automatic and Manually running the tool, so I apologize if I answer it wrong. All Automatic mode means is that an existing console is used to both deploy the Activator executable in the OS and script the call to it. There's no real functional difference with manual mode, where the arguments are passed to activator using the command line. In Automatic mode the arguments would still be passed to the executable using the command line, it's just that this would be scripted and run remotelyinstead of typed in at the computer.

Could you explain what you mean when you say this technology has C++ codes? Do you mean that some of the tools are implemented in C++?

Your reply is great, each replies really guides me a lot Sir Andrew for I am very new to AMT(very very very new). About the c++ codes w/ respect to your question Sir,the senario here is having a c++ implementation in the Server and clients having a new UI calling AMT API's.(The plan)I willrunthe new Activator tool if the client's timer expired hello message(24 hrs) and still unprovisioned because(Server is still not on <= 24 hours). Sorry to make some confusions... [(client)c++ code detects unprovision state after 24 hours then call the Activator tool]

the Tool will be runned in the AMT terminal Sir? not in the Server? :( I did try it running in the client yesterday in the command prompt having FQDN of the server as one of the parameters. I just want to be sure I was in the right path...

Sincerely, -Sel
0 Kudos
Roseele_Dahang
Beginner
Yes. You should run the tool on the client machine with FQDN of the Server as one of the parameters.

Venu

Thank you Sir Venu for the clarifications, I look forward for the results from my actual testing in my end and I'll come back as soon as I can see the output.
0 Kudos
Roseele_Dahang
Beginner
Yes. You should run the tool on the client machine with FQDN of the Server as one of the parameters.

Venu

Sad... I can't get it working, I might missed some points...
I have worked in this line in the Command Prompt "Activator.exe /s http://ServerName.DomainName/amtscs /t on /h /c"
-where ServerName is the name of the Server and (im not familiar any of this) i got the domainName in the DNS Forward lookup zone inside folder where I can see the one of its items is the Servername. My Server is Windows Server 2003.

The output of the line above in the command prompt says:
##############################################

Activator.exe /s http://cebu-server1.ceb/amtscs /t on /h /c

Step Into: GetHostFQDN
host Name is test_machine
Step Into: CheckAMT
Connected to HECI driver, version: 2.1.22.1026

BIOS Version: 080015

Intel AMT code versions:
Flash: 2.2.1
Netstack: 2.2.1
AMTApps: 2.2.1
AMT: 2.2.1
Sku: 0
VendorID: 8086
Build Number: 1034
Recovery Version: 2.2.1
Recovery Build Num: 1034
Legacy Mode: False

Setup and Configuration:
In process

Provisioning TLS Mode:
PKI
Step Into: CSCSER::PerformSCSRemoteConfiguration
Step Into: CSCSER::SCSSetAMTIdentity
AMT version: 2.2 Step Into: StartConfiguration

BIOS Version: 080015

Intel AMT code versions:
Flash: 2.2.1
Netstack: 2.2.1
AMTApps: 2.2.1
AMT: 2.2.1
Sku: 0
VendorID: 8086
Build Number: 1034
Recovery Version: 2.2.1
Recovery Build Num: 1034
Legacy Mode: False

Setup and Configuration:
In process

Intel AMT Mode:
Non Legacy

Remote Configuration:
enabled

Provisioning TLS Mode:
PKI

RNG seed status:
exists

PT_STATUS_INVALID_PT_MODE: Command is not permitted in current operating mode.
Activate Intel AMT configuration:
failure
PT_STATUS_INVALID_PT_MODE: Command is not permitted in current operating mode.St
ep Into: StartConfiguration
Step out: StartConfiguration error 3
After StartConfiguration 3
Step Into: CheckPKIPPSPIDStatus
Connected to HECI driver, version: 2.1.22.1026
Step out: CheckPKIPPSPIDStatus error 0
Connect to cebu-server1: at port: 9971:Unable to connect to server! (cebu-
server1)
Sending the hello message has failed!
server1)
server1)
Exit with code 7
#######################################################

Did I missed something with my set-up? I am really not good at this... very very not good... and clueless... if there are requirements before running this tool please guide me... :(
0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
Hi Roseele,

What setup and configuration application are you running on your server, i.e. SCS, SCA, Director, SCCS? Is your SCS setup for remote configuration or one-touch configuration? If you're unsure of the answers to these questions, then there is more that you need to know before you start the process of trying to get AMT systems running in your environment.

Regards,
Roger
0 Kudos