Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Backing up/flashing MEFW

khenglish
Beginner

I'm trying to figure out how to get a full ME FW image off of a computer's flash ROM. FLUpdLcl.exe does not perform a full image backup or flash. It leaves out the system specific configuration data, and just adds padding at the end of the flash image to make the file size about the same. Fptw64.exe does perform full backups and flashes, but it requires permission from the flash descriptor by either general read/write permission, or through the flash descriptor override. The former is rare to have, and the latter I just don't know how to do.

Is there a some method using either of these utilities to retrieve and flash an image? If not, is it possible to enter commands through the LMS service directly to do these things?

I don't care if the method is complicated, I just want a working method.

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gael_H_Intel
Hi - if the FW can be backed up, I'm not aware of this capability. You can build your own FW if you have a specific tool (and you need permission to get the tool as well.) I will need to research this.
Gael
0 Kudos
khenglish
Beginner
I actually do have the tool to build a FW. It would be preferable to be able to back up and edit the system specific image, but it's not necessary. What I really need is a way to flash the firmware that does not require permission from the flash descriptor, or a way to set the flash descriptor override that works consistently between different computers.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Ok - there are two ways to backup the ME Firmware:
1. Use the FPT tool
fptw.exe -d image.bin
2. Use a Dediprog (Here is an example in a blog.)
0 Kudos
khenglish
Beginner
Interesting. Thank you for looking into this.
0 Kudos