Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

DTK: Manageability Outpost Tool Service Crash

Trevor_Sullivan
Beginner
Hello,

I've been using the Intel AMT Developer Toolkit to internally showcase some of the functionality offered by Intel AMT. Microsoft Configuration Manager doesn't provide an interface to all of the AMT features that we would like to leverage, and the DTK does a pretty good job of this.

In any event, I've come across what appears to be a bug with the Manageability Outpost Tool Service. Here is the scenario:

1. Install Manageability Outpost Tool Service on Windows XP SP2 (AMT client)
2. Use Intel AMT DTK Commander to establish serial-over-LAN connectivity to AMT client
3. Enable TCP Port redirection (local: 12, remote: 3389)
4. Establish RDP connection to AMT client via redirected TCP port
5. Use for a while, eventually the Outpost service hangs, disconnects RDP client, and crashes

This is just one of many other bugs I've encountered in the AMT DTK tools. Intel AMT is an extremely powerful platform, and it would be great to see better support for the software tools to leverage its functionality.

Thanks,

Trevor Sullivan
Systems Engineer
OfficeMax Corporation
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - Trevor Sullivan
Hello,

I've been using the Intel AMT Developer Toolkit to internally showcase some of the functionality offered by Intel AMT. Microsoft Configuration Manager doesn't provide an interface to all of the AMT features that we would like to leverage, and the DTK does a pretty good job of this.

In any event, I've come across what appears to be a bug with the Manageability Outpost Tool Service. Here is the scenario:

1. Install Manageability Outpost Tool Service on Windows XP SP2 (AMT client)
2. Use Intel AMT DTK Commander to establish serial-over-LAN connectivity to AMT client
3. Enable TCP Port redirection (local: 12, remote: 3389)
4. Establish RDP connection to AMT client via redirected TCP port
5. Use for a while, eventually the Outpost service hangs, disconnects RDP client, and crashes

This is just one of many other bugs I've encountered in the AMT DTK tools. Intel AMT is an extremely powerful platform, and it would be great to see better support for the software tools to leverage its functionality.

Thanks,

Trevor Sullivan
Systems Engineer
OfficeMax Corporation

So if I'm interpreting this correctly, Outpost initially works, but then crashes after being in use for a while? Is there any error or additional details logged when this occurs? If it's a stability issue, I don't know if it will have as high a priority, but you can use the support e-mail for this (support_dopd_swe@intel.com). Of course, they like it when you use the bug report form included with the DTK as well.

The DTK isn't as stable as the shipping products from ISV's, which are intended to work in a production environment. Sincethemain goal of the DTK is to help people (developers or testers) get familiar with vPro, as well as develop their own solutions, I don't know if sustained stability is as a high a priority.
0 Kudos