Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

Easy way to tell if AMT/HECI drivers installed; and BARE METAL?

tnjman
Beginner

Fourquestions:
1) For systems already out there, is there a registry key or something I can check to confirm if SOL & HECI pieces already are there?

2) I get an error in my SCCM log that says:

MT Discovery Worker: CSMSAMTDiscoveryWorker::RetrieveInfoFromResource - Found machine MYWORKSTATION (MYWORKSTATION.mydomain.org),

ID: 4016 - 192.1.2.15 from Resource GUID:7E462349-F029-4F9D-B358-47E3B08806B7.

$$

Error: Translator regestry key has not been found. Please ensure it being installed. (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Intel\\WsMan Translator)

$$

Found new provision server certificate with hash 6EF138015CCA5902DBE1E437801AC42704B425DF.

$$

Okay, I thought WS-MAN only is needed *ONLY IF* we have (or care about) AMT V3.x and below?
If we don't (have or care), then why do I get these entries about the WSMan Translator?
I mean, if I don't have any systems less than AMT 5.x... ?

3) Which Dell machines, for example, have 'which version' of AMT? Is there a chart somewhere?
Looks like Optiplex 755 and 760 above have v5.x and 780 & 790 have 6.x.
How do we know (without going and booting each BIOS) what version is on Vostro 200, 400, Optiplex 330, and Dimension 5150?

4) I have sccm 2007 R3, so how would a "bare metal" discovery work? I have the GoDaddy provisioning cert in place, but if the machine is just "placed on the wire," how do I recognize it, if it has not yet been given any IP address? My understanding is that I don't necessarily need to physically 'touch' the machine - there is some way to get SCCM to "automatically provision it." ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Gael_H_Intel
Some of my blogs *might* help you:

1. How to run the SCS Discovery Tool (puts information in the registry so you can programmaticaly check it.)

I can't answer questions directly related to the SCCM... but it sound like you need to download the translator and install it.
2. Here is a link to the WSMAN Translator tool - you may need to install it.
3. The SCS Discovery tool tells you which version of AMT your system is, along with the versions of all the related drivers and FW.
4. The SCS User's guide talks some about provisiong bare metal systems:
Bare Metal Setup and Configuration - The Intel AMT device can be predefined by the manufacturer to start sending Hello messages as soon as the system is connected to power and to the network. This can occur even if an operating system is not installed on the host system (thus the name bare metal). The RCS then configures the system using a script (see Remote Configuration Using Scripts on page 184).
Hopefully this will get you started.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gael_H_Intel
Some of my blogs *might* help you:

1. How to run the SCS Discovery Tool (puts information in the registry so you can programmaticaly check it.)

I can't answer questions directly related to the SCCM... but it sound like you need to download the translator and install it.
2. Here is a link to the WSMAN Translator tool - you may need to install it.
3. The SCS Discovery tool tells you which version of AMT your system is, along with the versions of all the related drivers and FW.
4. The SCS User's guide talks some about provisiong bare metal systems:
Bare Metal Setup and Configuration - The Intel AMT device can be predefined by the manufacturer to start sending Hello messages as soon as the system is connected to power and to the network. This can occur even if an operating system is not installed on the host system (thus the name bare metal). The RCS then configures the system using a script (see Remote Configuration Using Scripts on page 184).
Hopefully this will get you started.
0 Kudos
tnjman
Beginner
Thanks. That covers most of what I asked. Very much appreciated.
WSMAN Translator is supposedto be for AMT 2.x and lower, per what I've read.
I ran an SCCM report that I built, and it tells me the versions.
Out of 41 systems, only 1 is lower than v 5. It is 3.2.1.
19 of them are 5.x and the other 19 are 7.x
I have more than 41 with AMT, so I still have to figure out what version is on the remaining systems.
0 Kudos
MPala11
New Contributor II
Bare metal provisioning is not support in AMT 6.0 and above versions
Please check the below link
http://communities.intel.com/message/122824#122824

==================

Bare metal provisioning is not supported on Intel AMT 6.0 and later systems. These systems will not start sending out hello packets when you first connect them to the power and network. By default, the timer that controls how long the system will send out the hello packets after it is plugged in has been set to 0 so it will timeout as soon as it is plugged in.

To do remote configuration on these systems, use Activator or an ISV client agent (for example on Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager). You can also use the Configurator in Intel SCS 7 to initiate remote configuration on Intel AMT 6 systems. The Intel tools are available on the Tools page in the Intel vPro Expert Center. For information on Microsoft, LANDesk, Symantec, and other ISVs, please check out the home page for the respective software.

===================

Thanks,
Mani
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
You can send a hello message yourself if your system is 'past' the time that it sends them out or isn't configured to do that.
(Configurator folder) ACUConfig [global options] SendHello []
You can read about this in the Intel SCS User Guide (for SCS 8.0 this is on page 133.)
0 Kudos