Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

Enterprise Mode with static IP, Activator.exe used with PSK-tls

michael_ca
Beginner
is it really necessary to configure the enterprise mode with a different IP in the MEBX and in the OS?
And also
Anybody knows if the activator tool will work in a client that is configurated using the one-touch and tls-psk with static IP.
I think the syntax should be something like :
Activator.exe /h IP_Provider_Server
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - michael_ca

Hi Roger,

So if i have enterprise mode(PSK not using cerificates) with static IP (and OS with static IP) then i must configure AMT and OS with differents ones is it correct? I'm asking this because i have configured some machines with the same static IP address and it has worked.

Thank's for your reply.
Hi Michael,

If you give AMT a static IP, then you need to set the IP to a different value than the IP given to the OS, and you need to set the hostname to be different. So, if you have a system named foo with an IP of 192.168.1.100, then the AMT subsystem needs to be configured with something like foo_amt with IP of 192.168.1.101. Giving the same static IP to the ME and to the OS may work, but it isn't an officially supported configuration.

In the past, with a system running AMT 2.0 or AMT 2.5 the ME actually used a different MAC address for non-DHCP mode, so you were absolutely required to set the static IPs to different values. On AMT 3.0, the ME started using a shared MAC address for the ME and the OS. So, a different static IP isn't required with the ME and the host using the same MAC address, but Intel's validation plan still calls for static IPs to be different. So, basically, setting the static IPs to the same value may work, but it hasn't been tested by Intel.

Regards,
Roger

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - michael_ca
is it really necessary to configure the enterprise mode with a different IP in the MEBX and in the OS?

And also

Anybody knows if the activator tool will work in a client that is configurated using the one-touch and tls-psk with static IP.
I think the syntax should be something like :

Activator.exe /h IP_Provider_Server

Thanks in advance.

Hi Michael,

No, it's not necessary to configure the IP differently in AMT and the OS for Enterprise mode. However, it is necessary to configure the IPs differently for Static and DHCP regardless of the setting for the provisioning mode. So, SMB mode with a static IP will need a different IP address, and Enterprise mode with DHCP will use the same IP address.

Regards,
Roger
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,
Which version of SCS/Activator are you using?
You may want to try the Activator in thelatest tech preview if you have not done so: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-intel-AMT-SCS-technology-preview/
0 Kudos
michael_ca
Beginner

Hello,
Which version of SCS/Activator are you using?
You may want to try the Activator in thelatest tech preview if you have not done so: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-intel-AMT-SCS-technology-preview/

I'm not using any activator. I just want to know if what i'm thinking it's correct and if the syntax will be like that.

Thank's for your reply.
0 Kudos
michael_ca
Beginner
Quoting - rogerb
Hi Michael,

No, it's not necessary to configure the IP differently in AMT and the OS for Enterprise mode. However, it is necessary to configure the IPs differently for Static and DHCP regardless of the setting for the provisioning mode. So, SMB mode with a static IP will need a different IP address, and Enterprise mode with DHCP will use the same IP address.

Regards,
Roger

Hi Roger,

So if i have enterprise mode(PSK not using cerificates) with static IP (and OS with static IP) then i must configure AMT and OS with differents ones is it correct? I'm asking this because i have configured some machines with the same static IP address and it has worked.

Thank's for your reply.
0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - michael_ca

Hi Roger,

Thank's for your reply.
Hi Michael,

If you give AMT a static IP, then you need to set the IP to a different value than the IP given to the OS, and you need to set the hostname to be different. So, if you have a system named foo with an IP of 192.168.1.100, then the AMT subsystem needs to be configured with something like foo_amt with IP of 192.168.1.101. Giving the same static IP to the ME and to the OS may work, but it isn't an officially supported configuration.

In the past, with a system running AMT 2.0 or AMT 2.5 the ME actually used a different MAC address for non-DHCP mode, so you were absolutely required to set the static IPs to different values. On AMT 3.0, the ME started using a shared MAC address for the ME and the OS. So, a different static IP isn't required with the ME and the host using the same MAC address, but Intel's validation plan still calls for static IPs to be different. So, basically, setting the static IPs to the same value may work, but it hasn't been tested by Intel.

Regards,
Roger
0 Kudos
michael_ca
Beginner

Hi Roger, your answer is exactly what i was looking for. Thank you very much for your help.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee
Quoting - michael_ca

I'm not using any activator. I just want to know if what i'm thinking it's correct and if the syntax will be like that.

Thank's for your reply.
I believe the syntax you want is:
Activator.exe /h /s

You mayalso need touse the /d option if provisioning an older system where you cant read the PID directly.

However, SCS 5.x does not support provisioning of AMT systems that have static IP.

0 Kudos