Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

How long is the AMT "temporary lockout" when incorrect passwords are entered?

buggy1
Beginner
Trying to access a remote machine through port 16992; I don't have physical access
to the machine at this point, and I'm getting:

"Log on failed. Incorrect user name or password, or user account temporarily locked."

How long does this temporary lockout last? I think I had one character wrong,
but I'm not sure now whether it's still wrong or it's failing because of the lockout.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Paul_C_Intel1
Employee
Hello,

I have not been able to find the answer to "How long does this temporary lockout last". Some have said that they think it is 15 minutes, but I have not been able to confirm this. I will keep looking.

Thanks, Paul
0 Kudos
valantinaa
Beginner
Buggy,
Content from AMT Provisioning document.

Login Backoff Mechanism after failed login attempts

Intel AMT prevents online attacks to the Intel AMT systems by including a backoff

mechanism, triggered by a certain number of successive failed login attempts. If an attacker

tries to login to the Intel AMT system by guessing a password, and Intel AMT detects ten

successive login failures, further login attempts are disallowed for a period of time. The

timeout period starts at 5 seconds and reaches 80 seconds during continuous attack. After

one hour of no attack the backoff mechanism is reset. This feature substantially impedes a

system attack using password guessing.

Regards, Valantina

0 Kudos