Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

How to make blocks visible using AMT Storage

ymazin
Beginner

Hello,

I have written a library thatused storage APIs to register app, add and remove blocks of data.

If I load my library using regular test app (dialog based application) I can register app and add blocks of data and remove them as needed.

When I use the same library with my service, I can register an app, and I can see that ISVS_AllocateBlock returns success but allocated block is always invisible,

even though parameter BlockHidden is always set to false.

Thank you for your input

YM

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Gael_H_Intel

Hello YM,

Thank you for posting your question. I just wanted to let you know that we are looking into this and will get back with you as soon as we can.

Gael

0 Kudos
ymazin
Beginner

Hello Gael,

Thank you for your reply.
One more bit of information. If I use storagedump C++ sample from AMT SDK, I can see my block, but unable to get its contents -ISVS_ReadBlockMtu returns (inside ISVS_ReadBlock) returns 0x000000010 which is PT_STATUS_NOT_PERMITTED.
Thank you,

YM

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hello YM,

I am still trying to get some more information, but while we wait, can you tell me what userid you are using? Are you using the "admin" user or did you create your own? If you created a user, does this user have adaquate permissions?

Gael

0 Kudos
ymazin
Beginner

Hello Gael,

I am using 'admin' and have not created any additional users. As I've stated before,
Icall the same code (a DLL that is linked with iamtD.lib) and the same credentials to connect from two different apps (one is a dialog based app and another one is a service) and getting different results.
I can provide myapplication so you can reproduce this problem.

YM

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hello YM,

Webelieve the problem is related to the permissions group that has been set.

When you allocate a block through a registered application then only that application can access the allocated block.

In order to allow other processes (applications) to access that blockyou need to set a permissions group using the ISVS_AddPermissionsGroup API call.

Ifyou do not do that then only the registered application that allocated the block will be able to see it.

Please let us know if this helps,

Gael

0 Kudos
Sree_C_
Beginner

Gael - Yury has tried this (tried adding read write permissions)and he continues to have this problem.

He is basically trying to do the following

1. Use the appstream local agent to write some info to 3pds

2. Make that info available to third party software

3. Have a third party console read the data (he is using commander as the console for testing purposes)

He is stuck and needs help. My question is

1) Isnt this very similar to the sw inventory use case http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-active-management-technology-use-case-2-software-inventory-management-discover

2) If so, Are there code samples for sw inventory?

3) How do we resolve this?

Sree

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

All the code samples are in the "Samples" folder in the SDK. Have they looked through the Readme files in the various StorageSamples folder? They may want to look through the APITest Sample which is also in the StorageSample Folder.

Additionally, see the Network Interface Guide and the Storage Administration sample application for more information on how to use AddStorageEaclEntry and AddStorageFpaclEntry.Attempting to run the storage samples without the enterprise name or partnerentries will result in an error.

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

On the topic of 3PDS local & remote access, I have been bombarded in recent days about reading and writting data from both local and remote Intel AMT interfaces. Many have reported that placing data into 3PDS using the local interface and obtaining it remotely is not working. I can confirm that I have seen the problem myself.

In the last few days, I started adding improved 3PDS support in Commander and started to add support for 3PDS in Outpost, the Intel AMT DTK local agent. I am adding a complete UI for setup and control of block permissions in both Commander and Outpost. So far, I have not found a fix. Once the UI's are build, I expect to be able allow full control over permissions and hopefuly find a fix.

In the mean time, the Intel AMT development team is pointing me to the SDK sample that is supposed to demonstrate this. I have not tried the SDK sample myself, prefering to work on the DTK instead. I expect to be done at the end of this week, in the mean time, I have over 12 hours of airplane traveling to get back to Oregon tomorrow.

More on this soon,
Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
Sree_C_
Beginner

Can you be more specific Which test sample specifically (in which directory) should they look for to find an example of local agent write, remote console read code?

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

It's the "Virus Signature" samplein the "Storage Samples" of the SDK. A quick update on my work, I have gotten Outpost to see blocks created using Commander so, I am certainly making progress. The usage of 3PDS is not what I initialy expected and so, I am going to have to change Commander a little. My flight back to the US is boarding now, more on this topic soon.

Ylian

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

A quick update to say the version v0.33 of the Intel AMT DTK is released with much improved 3PDS support in Commander and added support for it in Intel AMT Outpost. Both Commander and Outpost can now manage storage blocks and set permissions. As a result, it's now much easier to figure out how 3PDS works, it was not obvious to me at first.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
ravi
Beginner
Hi,
Please help me on Storage - ISVS_AllocateBlock Visibility .

When we create block using commander.exe
(Intel_AMT_Developer_Tool_Kit_v0[1][1].32f.exe) it is
creating the block and is visible. if use the ApiTest
form SDK (Intel_AMT_ORG_Release2.1_131008) ,
block is creating but visibility of block not happening.

May i know what could be the reasons behind this, or any SDK version problems.
actually we are using 'admin' user as user name.

What will happen if are not adding any 'Permissions Group' and
'Permissions Group Members' for block, is it will effect any thing.

One more issue we observer if i create block using commender.exe,
after that if run storagedump .exe visibility of block going.

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi
0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Ravi,

Yes, I really need to blog on the topic of storage because it's not easy to use. I suggest you try the latest version of the DTK, and use Commander and Outpost to try storage before looking at other tools. I added storage into Outpost in the new versions.

It is important to understand that with 3PDS, you can't access any blocks unless you register yourself first. This is true on both local and remote interfaces. When you log in using Commander as administrator you can see all of the registered applications and Commander will "register" as each application with a GUID of all zeros (0000-0000...). This way, you get to browse all of the blocks.

On the local side, you don't get to see other applications in advance, so, you have to give Intel AMT Outpost an Enterprise, Vendors, Application and GUID to register with. If the Enterprise does not exist, the registartion will fail. Once registered, you get to see all the blocks that belong to that exact registration and you may see other blocks depending on permissions.

I suggest you try it out with Commander and Outpost and be aware that what information you use to register to 3PDS makes a big difference in what blocks you see and don't see.

I hope this helps,
Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

By the way, I just added a blog entry on this topic. It's very similar to the reply I made above.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
ravi
Beginner
Ylian,
Thanks for reply and Blog.
With latest code, we are able to solve Block visibility issue.

--Ravi
0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the report, I really need to get cracking on a new training video for 3PDS. Indeed, the older versions of the Intel AMT DTK did not do justice to 3PDS.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos