Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Intel's AMT SDK and Visual studio 2005

ph3ar
Beginner
Hello,

I am getting the following error when I'm trying to compile sample discovery from Intel's AMT SDK.

------ Build started: Project: Discovery, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
DiscoverySample.cpp
c:\intel_amt\samples\discovery\c++\discoverysample.h(16) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'SoapCommonDefinitions.h': No such file or directory
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Intel_AMT\Samples\Discovery\c++\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
Discovery - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
---------------------

I have followed the guide step by step I have even checked the video series on how to setup Intel's AMT SDK maybe I miss something ... any clue?
0 Kudos
43 Replies
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - ph3ar
OK, so I started with the 1st option without any error and then when I am going back to compile the discovery project I still get the same error.

When I'm trying to fix this the 2nd solution I got the following error attached as image.

WebUI question: Do you know where I can find documentation that talks about WebUI and why this is implemented like this, it's a pain in the ass if you want to configure a machine and also test this technology.

Thanks.

Ok - when I do option 1, and then go back to the discovery sample and build, it works fine. Did you make any other changes to your project settings? (other than setting the include and lib folders for the Platform SDK?)

On the Web UI subject - many of the things that the Web UI would test require a remote connection (because those APIs that it is calling are only available on the Network Interface.See the explanation below from the Architecture Guide.

From the Architecture Guide: Intel AMT provides two general types of interfaces: network and local. Network interfaces consist of two types: a SOAP interface and an embedded web user interface. The SOAP interface is the enterprise model, enabling robust functionality designed to be controlled by management console applications created by third-party software makers. The full ranges of APIs associated with the SOAP interface are documented in the freely available Intel AMT SDK. The embedded web user interface has more limited functionality and is intended for use without enterprise management software, such as in small-to-medium business environments. The local host interface is used by software agents to access 3PDS and to support agent presence.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Ok - when I do option 1, and then go back to the discovery sample and build, it works fine. Did you make any other changes to your project settings? (other than setting the include and lib folders for the Platform SDK?)

On the Web UI subject - many of the things that the Web UI would test require a remote connection (because those APIs that it is calling are only available on the Network Interface.See the explanation below from the Architecture Guide.

From the Architecture Guide: Intel AMT provides two general types of interfaces: network and local. Network interfaces consist of two types: a SOAP interface and an embedded web user interface. The SOAP interface is the enterprise model, enabling robust functionality designed to be controlled by management console applications created by third-party software makers. The full ranges of APIs associated with the SOAP interface are documented in the freely available Intel AMT SDK. The embedded web user interface has more limited functionality and is intended for use without enterprise management software, such as in small-to-medium business environments. The local host interface is used by software agents to access 3PDS and to support agent presence.

Here is one more thing to try: Go into the ...Intel_AMTSamples folder and run the build.bat file. It copies the xerces-2_7.dll to the bin folder. Also, please verify that you do have a xerces folder in your ThirdParty folder?
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

Here is one more thing to try: Go into the ...Intel_AMTSamples folder and run the build.bat file. It copies the xerces-2_7.dll to the bin folder. Also, please verify that you do have a xerces folder in your ThirdParty folder?

OK, I have verified that xerces folder exists in the ThirdParty folder of the SDK, and after running the build.bat on
Intel_AMTSamples folder I still get the same error for xerces.

BTW I still haven't found where the access to webUI is pointed!?Except if this is referred with Limited funcionality which can be anything else also!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - ph3ar

OK, I have verified that xerces folder exists in the ThirdParty folder of the SDK, and after running the build.bat on

BTW I still haven't found where the access to webUI is pointed!?Except if this is referred with Limited funcionality which can be anything else also!

Thanks.

Did you also run the build.bat that is in the ..Windows folder? (I mentioned that you should do this in one of my previous posts...) It looks like it sets up some key environment variables. I always run it in my SDK configurations and I seem to be able to compile and build.. so maybe that's it?

And I am not clear on what more you need to know about the web ui? Are you having trouble accessing it?
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner
Quoting - ph3ar

Thanks.

Did you also run the build.bat that is in the ..Windows folder? (I mentioned that you should do this in one of my previous posts...) It looks like it sets up some key environment variables. I always run it in my SDK configurations and I seem to be able to compile and build.. so maybe that's it?

And I am not clear on what more you need to know about the web ui? Are you having trouble accessing it?

Still didn't work out... I just re-run build.bat that is in the ..Windows folder!

I thought that not being able to access the webui from the same Intel amt host is some sort of security mechanism, but I can't find this information somewhere.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - ph3ar

Still didn't work out... I just re-run build.bat that is in the ..Windows folder!

I thought that not being able to access the webui from the same Intel amt host is some sort of security mechanism, but I can't find this information somewhere.

Ok... I'm afraid I can't provide much more guidance here. I am wondering if this has something to do with your VirtualBox environment - may it's not accepting the environment variables that it needs in order to compile? Have you checked to make sure all the environment variables that needed to be set are actually in your system? Have you made sure the specific lib files that are copied over to the bin folder are actually there? The build.bat files seem to copy dlls and other files to where they need to be in order to build correctly - maybe this flow isn't happening in your VirtualBox environment? So if Microsoft Visual Studio isn't finding the dlls, libs, includes where it thinks it should be finding them, I would go through the build.bat files and see where they are being copied and make sure that they are actually there.

You can't access the WebUI locally by design.
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

Ok... I'm afraid I can't provide much more guidance here. I am wondering if this has something to do with your VirtualBox environment - may it's not accepting the environment variables that it needs in order to compile? Have you checked to make sure all the environment variables that needed to be set are actually in your system? Have you made sure the specific lib files that are copied over to the bin folder are actually there? The build.bat files seem to copy dlls and other files to where they need to be in order to build correctly - maybe this flow isn't happening in your VirtualBox environment? So if Microsoft Visual Studio isn't finding the dlls, libs, includes where it thinks it should be finding them, I would go through the build.bat files and see where they are being copied and make sure that they are actually there.

You can't access the WebUI locally by design.

Hi Gael,

thanks for your reply, I compiled with success AMTredirection, I have also included the BuildLog file.
Returning to the Discovery iAMT sample I guess that has to do with project Discovery properties (screenshot attached) and especially Linker in Configuration properties.

BTW when I try to debug the StatusStrings lib it asks for an executable file to be used for the debug session (screenshot attached), any clue?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - ph3ar

Hi Gael,

thanks for your reply, I compiled with success AMTredirection, I have also included the BuildLog file.
Returning to the Discovery iAMT sample I guess that has to do with project Discovery properties (screenshot attached) and especially Linker in Configuration properties.

BTW when I try to debug the StatusStrings lib it asks for an executable file to be used for the debug session (screenshot attached), any clue?

Thanks.

The only thing that you should have had to change in the Discovery project was the adding of the Platform SDK folders (lib/include). I've never had to change anything else in the project in order to build samples. I think I would probably delete the Discovery folder and copy it over again and start fresh with it's project settings.

I'm not sure why you need to debug the StatusStings Library - in any case, I'm pretty sure that when you want to debug something in Visual Studio, you load the exe and then you can step through it - eventually you would go into libraries that were part of the program. Since StatusStringsD.dll is a library (the version built for Debug purposes)- you cannot load it into the debugger.
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

The only thing that you should have had to change in the Discovery project was the adding of the Platform SDK folders (lib/include). I've never had to change anything else in the project in order to build samples. I think I would probably delete the Discovery folder and copy it over again and start fresh with it's project settings.

I'm not sure why you need to debug the StatusStings Library - in any case, I'm pretty sure that when you want to debug something in Visual Studio, you load the exe and then you can step through it - eventually you would go into libraries that were part of the program. Since StatusStringsD.dll is a library (the version built for Debug purposes)- you cannot load it into the debugger.

1. Go into the ...CommonStatuStrings folder, open the StatusStrings project and select the Debug option on your top toolbar - you can choose "debug" or "release." Then build the solution. Then you will be able to see that the StatusStringsD.lib is there - then you can go back to your other sample and build - it should be able to find it.

2. Go back into your project and select the "Release" build and it will look for the StatusStrings.lib instead (and it is already there) and therefore should build just fine.
I just followed again your instructions to help me build the Discovery project as you proposed me on your previous post reply http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showpost.php?p=86134

So It seems that I have misunderstood your steps!?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - ph3ar
I just followed again your instructions to help me build the Discovery project as you proposed me on your previous post reply http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showpost.php?p=86134

So It seems that I have misunderstood your steps!?

Thanks.

Does this mean that you got it to work? :-)
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

Does this mean that you got it to work? :-)

Nope, it means that i don't understand what you really propose me with these 2 steps since I cannot debug a library. :)
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Ok... I was not asking you to debug the library, I was asking you to go build the debug version of the library. The reason that your Discovery sample did not build was because it was looking for StatusStringsD.dll rather than the StatusStrings.dll which is the "release" version of the library. The SDK has the release version of the library - if you want to build the debug version for the Discovery Sample, or any other sample, the compiler is going to look for the debug versionsof this library and it is not there. You have to go build it. Once you go into tht Status Strings project and select Debug (to build the debug version) and then build it, the correct dll will be where the Discovery sample expects it to be. Your version of the SDK will now have the required StatusStringsD.dll file that the Discovery sample is looking for when you have told it to build a debug version.

OR you can pick the option 2 that I proposed and tell Discovery to build the release version and it will go and look for StatusStrings.dll rather than StatusStringsD.dll.

Visual Studio and the Microsoft website probably has some good training material on building projects and what it means to build a "release" version versus a "debug" version for a project. I would suggest that you go out there and read up on this.

And, please let us know if you get Discovery to build.
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

Ok... I was not asking you to debug the library, I was asking you to go build the debug version of the library. The reason that your Discovery sample did not build was because it was looking for StatusStringsD.dll rather than the StatusStrings.dll which is the "release" version of the library. The SDK has the release version of the library - if you want to build the debug version for the Discovery Sample, or any other sample, the compiler is going to look for the debug versionsof this library and it is not there. You have to go build it. Once you go into tht Status Strings project and select Debug (to build the debug version) and then build it, the correct dll will be where the Discovery sample expects it to be. Your version of the SDK will now have the required StatusStringsD.dll file that the Discovery sample is looking for when you have told it to build a debug version.

OR you can pick the option 2 that I proposed and tell Discovery to build the release version and it will go and look for StatusStrings.dll rather than StatusStringsD.dll.

Visual Studio and the Microsoft website probably has some good training material on building projects and what it means to build a "release" version versus a "debug" version for a project. I would suggest that you go out there and read up on this.

And, please let us know if you get Discovery to build.
I got it! I copied the StatusStrings.dll and xerces-c_2_7.dll files to the same directory that I am running the Discovery release project.

I appreciate your support Gael, thank you again!
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - ph3ar
I got it! I copied the StatusStrings.dll and xerces-c_2_7.dll files to the same directory that I am running the Discovery release project.

I appreciate your support Gael, thank you again!

Yay! I'm glad it's compiling. However, you should not have had to move them - the project should have all the directories set appropriately so I'm concerned that you continue to have problems building. You certainly don't want to have to move these files to your sample directory every time you want to build another sample.

Can you copy the SDK to another folder and start fresh? You already have your Platform SDK and you already have your MSSDK env var set. All you should have to do is run the build.bat files (I think there were two of them) and set the Platform SDK include/lib folders in your new project, and set Discovery to build a release version.

Sorry for dragging this on, but I would like to see it compile and build without having to copy libraries to your build directory (the project should be able to find them the way it is set up.)

Gael
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

Yay! I'm glad it's compiling. However, you should not have had to move them - the project should have all the directories set appropriately so I'm concerned that you continue to have problems building. You certainly don't want to have to move these files to your sample directory every time you want to build another sample.

Can you copy the SDK to another folder and start fresh? You already have your Platform SDK and you already have your MSSDK env var set. All you should have to do is run the build.bat files (I think there were two of them) and set the Platform SDK include/lib folders in your new project, and set Discovery to build a release version.

Sorry for dragging this on, but I would like to see it compile and build without having to copy libraries to your build directory (the project should be able to find them the way it is set up.)

Gael

Sure, I have just started rebuiling the SDK but I haven't set the platform SDK env var set! I have only set the env for the MSSDK.

Do I miss sth here?
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - ph3ar

Sure, I have just started rebuiling the SDK but I haven't set the platform SDK env var set! I have only set the env for the MSSDK.

Do I miss sth here?

Good question... I'm not sure if the order matters of when you run the build.bat files vs when you go in and set the project lib and include folders (I'm pretty sure you can run the build.bat files before you set up your project settings.) Are you in a new VM? You shouldn't have had to set the MSSDK env var again - it should have already been set. Also since you have already installed the Platform SDK, you should not have to do that again either, unless you are in a new VM.
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

Good question... I'm not sure if the order matters of when you run the build.bat files vs when you go in and set the project lib and include folders (I'm pretty sure you can run the build.bat files before you set up your project settings.) Are you in a new VM? You shouldn't have had to set the MSSDK env var again - it should have already been set. Also since you have already installed the Platform SDK, you should not have to do that again either, unless you are in a new VM.
I'm not using a new VM, and since I 've already setup the MSSDK env var I don't need to do it again.

The question is: Do I need to setup the lib and include folders for the iamt SDK also?
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - ph3ar
I'm not using a new VM, and since I 've already setup the MSSDK env var I don't need to do it again.

The question is: Do I need to setup the lib and include folders for the iamt SDK also?

Yes, since you just copied the SDK to a new folder, you are starting new. You will need to go into your project settings and enter in the Window's Platform SDK include and library folder locations so that the compiler will be able to find those include files that it needs.
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

Yes, since you just copied the SDK to a new folder, you are starting new. You will need to go into your project settings and enter in the Window's Platform SDK include and library folder locations so that the compiler will be able to find those include files that it needs.
OK, so I have missed that step! How can I set this globally for my project?
In visual studio I 'll start a new project... blah blah?
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - ph3ar
OK, so I have missed that step! How can I set this globally for my project?
In visual studio I 'll start a new project... blah blah?

I'm sure you can do that - set the folders globally but Visual Studio is actually not my area of expertise. I would suggest going out to the Microsoft Website to see if you can find some good tutorials on building projects and setting them up.
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

I'm sure you can do that - set the folders globally but Visual Studio is actually not my area of expertise. I would suggest going out to the Microsoft Website to see if you can find some good tutorials on building projects and setting them up.
Apparently visual studio is not my area of expertise either!

So If I don't setup any include/lib directories of the iamt sdk how visual studio is going to "find out" the correct path and compile the sample correctly?

Thanks.

0 Kudos