Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Using RIS from AMT enabled vpro PC

Maria_Camila_Gomez-S
Hello everyone

I have been trying to look for any possible scenarios for integrating RIS (Remote Installation Services) with an AMT enabled vPro PC.

What I need to know is:
1) Is it possible to have PXE running in an AMT enabled vPro PC?
2) I have been told (not able to try it since I dont have a RIS server in my lab) that in order to use RIS while a system is booting you enable PXE pressing F11. if that is true, and assuming that the answer to my first question is yes, would I be able to start PXE from my SOL terminal using a remote boot?

I will really appreciate any help or experience of AMT+RIS

Thanks in advance

MariaCamila
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shmuel_G_Intel
Employee
1) Is it possible to have PXE running in an AMT enabled vPro PC?

Maria, I don't know much about RIS so I'll not risk answering a wrong answer... :)

Regarding PXE, yes, Intel vPro/AMT system can boot by PXE, as long as the BIOS enables it -- each BIOS is different in this aspects, and in some this may be disabled by default... I suggest looking at the options inyour vendor'sBIOS, or possibly on their support site.
But Intel vPro/AMTsupports it, yes. :)
0 Kudos
Maria_Camila_Gomez-S

Thanks Schmuel

I also got an answer from a contact at Intel Brazil who is working closely with AMT.
He says that if PXE is enabled you could through SOL access Boot order and choose which image to launch from (they have a demo for that case, and it works)

MC
0 Kudos
Shmuel_G_Intel
Employee
Thanks Shmuel

I also got an answer from a contact at Intel Brazil who is working closely with AMT.
He says that if PXE is enabled you could through SOL access Boot order and choose wich image to launch from (they have a demo for that case, and it works)

Hey, of course it works! hehe :)

Maria, I am glad you are close to finding an answer.
Would you care to share information about the system you are using (vendor, model, AMT generation)? And eventually, how you got PXE enabled in the vendor's BIOS?
It would be great for a future reference...

Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
Maria_Camila_Gomez-S

Hey, of course it works! hehe :)

Maria, I am glad you are close to finding an answer.
Would you care to share information about the system you are using (vendor, model, AMT generation)? And eventually, how you got PXE enabled in the vendor's BIOS?
It would be great for a future reference...

Thanks a lot!

vpro PC: Dell Optiplex 760
PXE: Intel Management Engine Bios extension v 5.0.5.0010

0 Kudos
Shmuel_G_Intel
Employee
vpro PC: Dell Optiplex 760
PXE: Intel Management Engine Bios extension v 5.0.5.0010

Thanks!
Where you able to finally enable PXE? Is it via a setting in their BIOS?
0 Kudos
Maria_Camila_Gomez-S

Thanks!

PXE was successfully enabled. i have not been able to test the SOL part! I will let you know.
0 Kudos
Maria_Camila_Gomez-S

Thanks!

Hi Shmuel

I was reviewing this topic while working in this project closure.

All the AMT+PXE+RIS integration is feasible... however there is an issue here: A standard RIS implementation requires the user to press F12 key in order to access the OS images available.... and there is a bug within SOL when using Intel Motherboards, F12 can not be submitted via SOL. So the only way to use RIS from AMT's SOL is to disable the F12 step.

more information available in this forum post: 65760

regards!

MariaCamila
0 Kudos