Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

?Linux or Windows?

alberto_sagan
Beginner
Hi,

I am starting a project related with Intel AMT and Intel vPro and I would like to know what OS is better for working with SDK.

I have finished Engineer of Telecommunications and this is my first project and, sincerously, I need all the help you could bring to me.

My project consists on developing an application based in C++ to manage a vPro PC remotely. I have to discover new hardware and software, detect if the anti-virus is working properly and other things like those thing before.

What OS do you think is better for my purpose?

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

There are more tools and support (including this forum) for Windows AMT. For Linux AMT, you have to contact http://www.openamt.org/for support.

So, if you are open for both OS, I would recommend the Windows.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
alberto_sagan
Beginner
Thanks for yor answer.

I still have a doubt. My project consists on having two machines: one with intel vPro in Windows and the other to manage in Debian.

My question is : what OS is better to use in the machine is going to manage?

Sorry about my questions, but I have recently started study AMT and I have little idea yet.

Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Sree's answer applies to the managing machine and the client machine. There are more people using Windows with AMT (including management consoles) and thefore there are more samples and more support available for Windows.

If you are comfortable in either OS, then Windows would probably be better for you.

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Hi - just one more thing - Intel AMT is OS agnostic so for the system that you are wanting to manage, having Intel AMT won't matter whether it is Windows or Linux. Also, the system that you want to use to manage your AMT system would presumably not have AMT - ie, your management console just runs your software that you created by using the SDK so as Lance and Sree said, pick the OS that is most familiar to you for development purposes, but keep in mind there are more tools and samples for Windows systems.
0 Kudos
alberto_sagan
Beginner
Thanks a lot for your answers.

I would prefer to use Windows, so Im going to propose it to my boss...and Ill tell you what he decides.
0 Kudos