Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1380 Discussions

Mapping between the Host IP and Intel AMT Device IP

ravi
Beginner

Hi,

When Intel AMT is configured for static IP addresses,then TWO IP address are required, one for the 'Host CPU' and the other for the 'IntelAMT Device'.

For example 'Host CPU' IP address of system is 192.168.0.9 and 192.168.0.101 is for 'Intel AMT device'. Is there any parameter that indicates that both these IP addresses are for the same system. Any such mapping information will be of help.

Help on this would be appreciated

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

Hi there,

It's my understanding that when using static addresses, both Intel AMT and the host OS must be set to the same address. This is because the network card only has one MAC address and so, if you set both to different addresses, the network will have two IP addresses with the same MAC and it's going to confuse other devices on the network.

Still, I have tried using separate IP addresses and yes, it works a little. You can ping AMT separately from the host OS, but it's not a supported or proper configuration.

In general, I recommend using DHCP, in my own lab; I use a Linksys WRTSL54GS with the DD-WRT (ddwrt.org) firmware. With that firmware, you can setup static DHCP mappings so that, the DHCP server will always give the same IP address to the same MAC address. I found that so much better than trying to change the Intel AMT settings & host OS settings.

Hope it helps,
Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi,

"Deployment Guide" and "Developers guide to sample setup and configuration server" say that one must use different ips for static environments, and I saw using "arp -a" that AMT Firmware and host have different Mac addresses, one nic two macs !

In that case how we determine that these two ips are of same machine? We know the IP of the host, can we then determine the ip of firmware using that host ip ?

Thanks

Sohaib
0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Sohaib,

Thanks for the question on the forum. You are correct that one must configure different IP addresses for AMT and host when operating with static IPs. Also your observation of two different mac addresses is correct.

When you configure thevPro machinewith static IPs, AMT will use the mac address called manageability mac which comes to play only in static IP mode. Manageability mac address is different from the mac address presented by the host.

Please make sure you give different names for AMT and host. Coming to your question about relating these parameters to same machine, as per the configured IP addresses and from the network point of view, these are two different machines. The only way to relate both of them to the same machine is by using the UUID. Both AMT and host should present you the same UUID as part of the inventory.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have further questions on this topic.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi Ajith,

Thanks for ur reply, its helpful.

The way you told to relate two machines (physically one machine) is by comparing there uuids. We can get the uuid of AMT by using asset inventory , can we query host like this, does't this require some software agent there.

So, a software agent is required that 'll get the uuid of its machine locally and 'll return this uuid in response to our query ?

Sohaib
0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Sohaib,

You are correct. In order to get the UUID from the host machine you need a software agent that can collect this andpresent itto a remote console.

Any particular reason why you would like to configure the systems in static IP mode?

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi Ajith,

Thankx. We don't have intentions to use static IP, this depends on deployment site, if they want static IP enviroment, then we have to provide them.

Sohaib
0 Kudos
ravi
Beginner
Hi,
Issue 1:
In AMT static ip mode if we assign different
ipaddress for AMT and host, is there any
way to get the ipaddress of others, like
getting a host ipaddress from firmware,
getting a firmware ipaddress from host.

If we assign the different ipaddress we have to
map the system with UUID or any other way.
we are able to get the UUID from windows
systems using WMI, but not able to get
from UNIX, Solaris and etc. (is there any
way to get UUID other than windows.).

Issue 2:
If we assign single ipaddress for host and AMT,
some times system is not ping to gateway
properly, may i know why this behavior.

Why we are asking static mode because of
customers, we have small customer they
don't have DHCP servers.

Help on this could be grate.

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi
0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Ravi,

For Issue1, You can get AMT network parameters using GetTcpIpParameters() API but unfortunately this API is not available for local interface. So it does not solve your purpose. Also in static IP mode, AMT dos not keep track of the host OS IP parameters.

For Issue2, I am assuming that you are trying to assign same IP address for host and AMT configured in static IP mode. If that is the case, it is not a valid configuration and you will have a IP address conflict since you have 2 systems with same IP address and different mac addresses. Also when you configure the static IP configuration, are you entering the default gateway information?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
sakthivel_samidurai

You can get UUID using uuid_generate_time that uses current time and local MAC address on Linux system to resolve Issue 1.

0 Kudos
ravi
Beginner
Hi Ajith,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes , i am assigning the same ipaddress for
both host and amt, also i am entering the
default gateway ipaddress in the amt network
settings.

Even i tried with out default ipaddress and
domain name and etc, i tried all the ways.
if we give the same ipaddress for host amt
ping failing to gateway and for other systems
even we are not able to access net from that
system.

If give different ipaddress for host and amt
all the things are working fine.

please help me on this.. if possible can you
people test/simulate in your test labs.

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi
0 Kudos
ravi
Beginner

Hi Samidurai,

uuid_generate_time only helps in generating
new uuids, whereas we need to find out the
uuid of the system from linux.
When the intel AMT IP is queried, it provides
the uuid of the system. Similarly,
host IP running windows provides the
same uuid for the system. With this we can
map that both the IPs belong to the same system.
But, how do we do this for a AMT system
running with linux?"

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi

0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Ravi,

As I mentioned in my previous post, if you set the same IP address for host and AMT, it is not a valid configuration and the results are not predictable. That is probably the reason you are seeing the issue of not being able to connect to any of them. Any particualr reason why you would like to set the same IP address for host and AMT, is this toavoid the issue of resolving the two ip addresses for the same PC?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
sakthivel_samidurai

Ajit has valid points.

There is one more possibility if you would like to do some coding. You can look into Intel SDK ZTPLocalAgent sample to interact with local Intel AMT driver to get Intel AMT LAN information and use Winsock to get Host OS LAN information and post the information to Event log. Intel Commander allows you to see the event log.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
ravi
Beginner

Ajith,

Yes , for that purpose only.

give possible suggestion on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Ravi,

If you are chosing to go with static IP, you have to assign different IP addresses for host and AMT and have to map both of these IP addresses to a single system using UUID. I will discuss this further and let you know if there are any alternatives. I am sure you already know that if you use DHCP, then you do not have this problem.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner
Quoting - akillendula

Hi Sohaib,

Thanks for the question on the forum. You are correct that one must configure different IP addresses for AMT and host when operating with static IPs. Also your observation of two different mac addresses is correct.

When you configure thevPro machinewith static IPs, AMT will use the mac address called manageability mac which comes to play only in static IP mode. Manageability mac address is different from the mac address presented by the host.

Please make sure you give different names for AMT and host. Coming to your question about relating these parameters to same machine, as per the configured IP addresses and from the network point of view, these are two different machines. The only way to relate both of them to the same machine is by using the UUID. Both AMT and host should present you the same UUID as part of the inventory.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have further questions on this topic.

Thanks.

Hello,

Is this correct?

If yes why I can't observe 2 mac adresses but only 1?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - ph3ar
Hello,

Is this correct?

If yes why I can't observe 2 mac adresses but only 1?

Thanks.

Wow, I think this is the oldest thread I've ever seen revived. It is definitely true that you should set a separate IP address from the OS address if you're setting a Static IP address. I honestly haven't used static IP much, so I don't know for sure if AMT will still have a separate MAC address, but I believe it will.

Did you provision AMT with a Static IP address? Also, what are you using to observe the system MAC address?
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner
Wow, I think this is the oldest thread I've ever seen revived. It is definitely true that you should set a separate IP address from the OS address if you're setting a Static IP address. I honestly haven't used static IP much, so I don't know for sure if AMT will still have a separate MAC address, but I believe it will.

Did you provision AMT with a Static IP address? Also, what are you using to observe the system MAC address?

Hi Andrew,

I just provisioned AMT with DHCP and I'm running a local DHCP server, so I observed the leases file but I could see only 1 MAC address that is shared on AMT and the OS.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
If you're using AMT 2.6 or earlier, then you will see two seperate MAC addresses for the manageability MAC and the system MAC. However, for AMT 3.0 and later, you'll only see one MAC address that is shared by both.
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - ph3ar

Hi Andrew,

I just provisioned AMT with DHCP and I'm running a local DHCP server, so I observed the leases file but I could see only 1 MAC address that is shared on AMT and the OS.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

What I was describing (and what Rogerb was describing I believe) applies to if you configured AMT in static IP mode instead of DHCP. Since you mentioned that you have AMT in DHCP mode (not static),I think one MAC address should be expected.
0 Kudos