Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Monitor attached to Intel AMT machine immediately goes black

Davy_D_
Beginner

I'm having a very weird issue with one of my Intel AMT machines that started popping up tonight.

The monitor connected to the PC goes dark immediately after the Intel BIOS splash screen. I don't see it booting into Windows and also cannot enter the BIOS. The monitor goes into sleep mode immediately and remains dark.

When I connect VNCViewer Plus to AMT machine, I can view the desktop remotely using KVM and I see windows booting into the desktop.

Rebooting the PC, or shutting it off doesn't help. The only thing I see on the monitor attached to the PC is the Intel BIOS splash screen

When VNCViewer Plus is connected, I can see everything through VNCViewerPlus.

The Intel AMT machine has an Imtel DQ77MK mainboard and was working fine before.

Any idea what might have caused this and how this can be fixed ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gael_H_Intel

Do you have the right video driver on the system?  Could you check your event log for errors associated with the RDPDD.dll?

Were there any changes/updates made to any of the AMT Drivers proir to this strange behavior?

--Gael

0 Kudos
Davy_D_
Beginner

No changes were made to the device... The weird thing is I don't even get a chance to enter the BIOS. It does enter the bios and boots into the OS (that I could see through VNC Viewer Plus), but nothing shows up on the monitor.

The only errors / warnings I'm seeing in the EventLog are the following (but those have been there since the beginning) :

Intel® AMT Operating system lockup or power interrupt.
BIOS Starting operating system boot process.

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

This is very curious, indeed.  You can trace this to:  AmtEventManager.cs.  It looks like a PET event is being thrown.  If I found the right table in the DSP0136.pdf,  my next question would be - did your memory in bank 0 become flakey?  

• On power-up, the firmware image is copied into the Double Data Rate (DDR) random-access memory (RAM).
  • The firmware executes on the Intel ME processor and uses a small portion of the DDR RAM (Slot 0) for storage during execution. RAM slot 0 must be populated and powered on for the firmware to run.
  • Relating to the BIOS:  upon startup, the BIOS loads the Intel AMT firmware into RAM. From that point, Intel AMT performs its own initialization. The BIOS also captures platform hardware configuration information and stores it in NVM (Non Volatile Memory) so that Intel AMT can make the information available out of band.

I would first check the memory on the system (specifically bank 0.)  If that's ok then I would clear the CMOS (sometimes you can do this via the Bios by turning the AMT feature on/off, sometimes you have to remove all power plus the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds and then bring it back up.  Last resort is to reflash the firmware image and see if that works.
Note that clearing the CMOS and refalshing will move your system to factory mode and you will have to re-enable AMT.

From the code:

if (eventSensorType == 32)
{
return "Operating system lockup or power interrupt";

}

So a PET event is being thown on Sensor type 32.  This takes us to the ACPI "ASF!" tables.

http://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/standards/documents/DSP0136.pdf  (look at page 14 of 94): 

Description Event Sensor Type     Event Offset Event   Data 1/2 Entity
No system memory; memory
missing
(System Firmware Error)
40h/01h 32d (Memory
Device)

0 Kudos