Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Remote provision adventures

ph3ar
Beginner
Hello,

I have tried to use the Intel AMT SCS tools both lite and normal version but I wasn't able to install the service successfully on a 2003 server.
I am doing some tests on how I can remotely provision some Intel AMT machines without USB and or entering the MEBx engine.

After reading some interesting post on forums I realized that I need to purchase a certificate from verisign, godaddy or comodo vendors. But still it's very complex and I'm afraid to order a certificate that can be incorrectly configured for use with remote provision from factory default state.

Is it possible to use Intel AMT Director and if yes how?

In any case you are more than welcome to describe the remote provision that have WORKED easily for you.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Here is a tool to help you pick the right certificate to use: http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-2734
It should help you understand the choices you need to make when preparing to purchase a certificate for remote configuration.
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

Here is a tool to help you pick the right certificate to use: http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-2734
It should help you understand the choices you need to make when preparing to purchase a certificate for remote configuration.
Thank you for your response Lance.
But I would like to know how to install the service via a tool like scs setup wizard which is not working for me.

The certificate selection process is the next step!.. any ideas?
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - ph3ar
But I would like to know how to install the service via a tool like scs setup wizard which is not working for me.

Yes - let's get your service running first. BTW, our link to the SCS Lite Technology Preview 2 has been fixed - if you haven't already, you might want to go get it and work with it instead. Are you currently using SCS 6 Lite? or are you working with SCS 5.x?

First, you might want to start fresh by running the UnIntsallSCS.bat file. (Service must be installed on a non AMT system that is in your network.)

1. Install the SCS Service on your Provisioning Server by running InstallSCS.bat. Both domain/WORKGROUP scenarios work. In order for the service to install correctly, you need to have a user that has administrative priviledges. That user also requires permission to log on as a service.

2. Go into your Domain Security Settings under Local Policies/ User Rights Assignment - then on the right hand side, find "Log on as a Service" -- add your SCS user here along with it's domain ()

3. Run InstalSCS.bat (I believe you have to include the domain along with your SCS User entry.) This should run without errors.

4. Verify that the Service did actually start by checking your services. (AMT Configuration Server)

Once the service is successfully started you can bring up the Console (on a non AMT system in the same network) and then you can also copy the Activator software over to your AMT system and run the Activator GUI from there. SCS Lite uses the ActivatorGUI to connect to the service and do the actual provisioning.

Note that the instructions in the Installation Guide are very clear (better than what I just wrote)- you should just follow them and it should work for you. On times it hasn't installed for me, I wasn't including the domain in the appropriate places or I didn't have an SCS User that had administrative priviledges.

0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner
Quoting - ph3ar

Yes - let's get your service running first. BTW, our link to the SCS Lite Technology Preview 2 has been fixed - if you haven't already, you might want to go get it and work with it instead. Are you currently using SCS 6 Lite? or are you working with SCS 5.x?

First, you might want to start fresh by running the UnIntsallSCS.bat file. (Service must be installed on a non AMT system that is in your network.)

1. Install the SCS Service on your Provisioning Server by running InstallSCS.bat. Both domain/WORKGROUP scenarios work. In order for the service to install correctly, you need to have a user that has administrative priviledges. That user also requires permission to log on as a service.

2. Go into your Domain Security Settings under Local Policies/ User Rights Assignment - then on the right hand side, find "Log on as a Service" -- add your SCS user here along with it's domain ()

3. Run InstalSCS.bat (I believe you have to include the domain along with your SCS User entry.) This should run without errors.

4. Verify that the Service did actually start by checking your services. (AMT Configuration Server)

Once the service is successfully started you can bring up the Console (on a non AMT system in the same network) and then you can also copy the Activator software over to your AMT system and run the Activator GUI from there. SCS Lite uses the ActivatorGUI to connect to the service and do the actual provisioning.

Note that the instructions in the Installation Guide are very clear (better than what I just wrote)- you should just follow them and it should work for you. On times it hasn't installed for me, I wasn't including the domain in the appropriate places or I didn't have an SCS User that had administrative priviledges.

Thanks Gael.
After many hours of trying I still get this error message:

Error: -2147467259; [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not e
xist or access denied.
Failed to create database: Failed to connect to SQL server

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - ph3ar
Thanks Gael.
After many hours of trying I still get this error message:

Error: -2147467259; [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not e
xist or access denied.
Failed to create database: Failed to connect to SQL server

Which version of the SCS are you trying to install? Which version of SQL? Have you sucsessfully installed the SCS Service?
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

Which version of the SCS are you trying to install? Which version of SQL? Have you sucsessfully installed the SCS Service?
I'm trying to install SCS version 6.0.10.18 (link updated today). SQL verion 2005 express.
SCS service not installed

I got this error now.

Checking and building database ...
Error: 3704; Operation is not allowed when the object is closed.
Failed to create registry key
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner
Success!
I check the SQL server logs and realized the following:
--
Cannot create file 'c:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL.1MSSQLDATAIntelAMT.mdf' because it already exists. Change the file path or the file name, and retry the operation.
--

So I removed any files that has to do with Intel AMT and it worked.

Once again thanks for your support Gael.
0 Kudos
ph3ar
Beginner

So the last step is to use Intel Remote Configuration Certificate Utility in order to issue the correct certificate.
Anything more missing? I want to be sure before I proceed with the certificate order.

Thanks.

0 Kudos