Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1380 Discussions

Struggling with Management Engine password for Intel DQ45CB

jhz
Beginner
I am unable to access the ME on an Intel DQ45CB. Hitting control-P during boot up doesn't seem to do anything. F2 takes you to bios settings and there is a Management engine tab there. From that I've tried entering the default password of "admin", but it is rejected after a 5 second wait. No userid is requested. I've tried reseting the ME two different ways: 1) removing the CMOS battery, and 2) moving the BIOS jumper and reseting the ME to factory defaults from the BIOS configuration Maint Tab. Neither one works. Neither alternatives work.
What should I do?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

After using F2 to get to the BIOS page and selecting the Management Engine tab, are you getting prompted for a password? Can you make any changes on this page without entering a password?

0 Kudos
jhz
Beginner
I do get prompted to enter the password on the Management Engine tab of the BIOS. I am prompted for a password, but no userid. I have tried entering "admin" and "Admin" as the password, but after a delay a message pop up saying it didn't work. It is not possible to do anything else from that page without entering a password.
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Hmm, that I wouldn't expect. When you pull the CMOS battery, it should reset the MEBx password to "admin", that's pretty standard (I've never seen a system where that was not true). What's especially interesting is that I was pretty sure ctrl-P was supported by that board, I've seen threads where people mentioned using ctrl-P to get into the MEBx on that board before.

For reference, the support page for that board is here: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/dq45cb . I noticed there is a relatively new BIOS for the system, that might be the final resolution if the issue can't be resolved otherwise.

But first, on a DQ45CB, there should be an LED to indicate the current AMT state (if I'm interpreting the product guide right, it looks like it should be near the memory slots, but you might want to look in the product guide for yourself). Can youcheck whether that is lit or not when you power on the system? That should give an indication if AMT is actually enabled.

In the long run, it might be necessary to go to the official support page (here: http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=desktop ) We're focused more on development of software to work with the system here, as opposed to detailed system debugging, they'll be able to help with lower level questions.
0 Kudos
Josh_F_
Beginner

I have an identical problem to this. I have Q45 express chipset board from a Dell optiplex 780. Did the same processes to reset BIOS password and I did manage to reset it but only the standard BIOS set-up page(F2). Unfortunately this resetting does not change or remove the Intel ME password. I am unable to access it further or bypass. 

I am aware this is an old thread but I really hope someone has come up with a solution.

0 Kudos
Alan_P_4
Beginner

Josh F. wrote:

I have an identical problem to this. I have Q45 express chipset board from a Dell optiplex 780. Did the same processes to reset BIOS password and I did manage to reset it but only the standard BIOS set-up page(F2). Unfortunately this resetting does not change or remove the Intel ME password. I am unable to access it further or bypass. 

I am aware this is an old thread but I really hope someone has come up with a solution.

I've had ME reject me on two different boxes and I too reset BIOS by battery and jumper with no change. Turned out that it was a chipset defect, only thing affected was ME, i noticed no other ill's; had a warranty swap out of the the board and life was good again.

0 Kudos