Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1380 Discussions

Unable to fully unprovision intel AMT platform using BIOS

sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi all,

1) I initially configured intel amt machine to Small Business mode and tested its features, that worked.

2) Then I manually put PID/PPS pair in that machine and did appropriate SCA configuration to to test it in enterprise mode, it did't work, its OK.

3) Now I am trying to unconfige the AMT machine using BIOS, but its not working, I want PID/PPS pair erased. BIOS is not even showing PID/PPS option there.

I unconfigured the machine setting an option in managebility featues section to none and sometimes setting to ASF, after that configured it in Small business mode, then reconfigured it in enterprise mode, but, its not working........

now it is not even working small business mode :(

- Sohaib
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Sohaib,

Before we confuse AMT further, lets try this. Changing the manageability to None does not unprovision the system and restore it back to factory defaults. I suggest you to change the manageability to Intel AMT and enter AMT configuration. Once you are in AMT configuration screen, please select "Unprovision" and do the full unprovisioning. This will bring the box to factory defaults.

After this, I would configure AMT again in SMB mode and test the basic functionality. Once you see that SMB mode is working, return to the AMT configuration screen in BIOS and unprovision it again. In order to use the PID/PPD keys, you have to provision AMT in Enterprise mode and that will let you enter the PID/PPS keys or use the USB provisioning.

Let us know if this worked out and also if there are any further questions. Thanks for using the forum.

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi,

There is no option to UnProvision AMT in the BIOS in any screen, I searched all there ....

Now the machine is in SBM, but even the ping is not working. I am using Intel AMT Commander to connect the machine, but its not working, it worked initially when I configured it first time in SBM.

- Sohaib
0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Sohaib,

• On the box that you are provisioning, when the system is coming up, please enter MEBx configuration using the Cntrl-P keystroke.
  • Once you are in the ME configuration, type in the ME password.
  • Navigate to Intel ME Configuration->Intel ME Features Control->Manageability Feature Selection and select Intel AMT. Escape out of the BIOS and when the system is coming up, re-enter ME Configuration using Cntrl-P key stroke.
  • After you enter ME password, this time you should see Intel AMT Configuration in the menu.
  • Navigate to Intel AMT Configuration and select Un-Provision.

The above mentioned steps can get you to the state where AMT is unprovisioned but this is not the same as factory defaults. In order to get to factory defaults, please disconnect the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few seconds.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi,

Ur first four steps work fine, but as I have told u before, that there is no option to UnProvision. All I can do is set it to 'None' or 'ASF' or 'AMT', there is also another option where I can choose between 'SBM' and 'Enterpise' mode.

I more thing, I dont enter in MBEx configuration using Ctrl+P, There is a menu for this, like other menus. I think I dont have same BIOS as u have ....

My AMT credentials are, if these can help in figuring out

Platform is version Intel 2.x
Firmware version is 2.0.5.1124
Product version is: AAD41676-400

- Sohaib
0 Kudos
fred29210
Beginner

This seems to have become a duplicate thread of the one below so I will post here.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums//topic/54366

Please provide the following:
Computer Brand:
Computer Model:
BIOS Version:

What options do you have available to choose from when you first enter the MEBx, before you select anything?

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
The thread u mentioned is not a duplicate thread, that another thread, but co-incidently same issue aorse there.

These are the total options I can see/select and these are only accessible after entering MBEx password.

Enter Intel ME Password
|
-> Intel ME Configuration
| |
| -> Manageability Feature [None, Intel AMT, ASF]
| |
| -> Turn ON Intel ME in sleep State[Always, Never , ...]
|
->Intel Active Management Technology Configuration
| |
| -> Computer Name
| |
| -> TCP/IP Config
| | |
| | -> Domain Name
| |
| -> Provisioning Configuration
| | |
| | -> Provisioning Mode [SBM or Enterprise]
| | |
| | -> Compatibility Mode
| | |
| | -> Provisioning Server Configurtion
| | |
| | -> Provisioning Server Port
| | |
| | -> PID
| | |
| | -> PPS
| |
| -> SOL settings
| |
| -> PRTC settings
|
-> Change ME Password
|
-> Change and Commit Settings
0 Kudos
adrianfreemantle
Beginner

Hi there,

Firstly i notice that your AMT firware is not totally up to date, could you please tell me what type of hardware you are working on?

My first advice would be to update your AMT firmware and BIOS to the latest version. Then once this is done you can try to return the system to factory mode, this will fully unprovision the system for you. I know for a fact that the "full unprovision" option does not work correctly on most systems. There is a workaround, but to do this is differant from vendor to vendor, here are some steps you can follow.

HP DC7700: Remove the power cord and open the case. Wait for about 10 seconds for all energy to dissapate. You should see a small yellow button behind one of the ram slots. Press this button and hold it in for about 20 seconds. Now put the case back on and put the power cable back in. Power up the system and allow it to boot through to the OS at least once. This is to allow the BIOS to update itself. You will get a warning about the system clock needing to be set, you can ignore this for now and set it later. Once the system has been through a single boot cycle you can perform normal enterprise mode configuration.

Intel based systems: There is a BIOS configuration jumper on the mother board, refer to your documentation for its location. You need to move the jumper to the next pin (i.e from pins 1-2 to 2-3 or however your documentation indicates). Please remember to do this with the power removed. Once the jumper has been moved you can power up the system and you will enter a special BIOS configuration screen automatically. Select the setting that says "Return AMT to factory mode", im not sure of the wording but it should be recognisable. Save your settings and then remove the power again. Place the jumper back in its orriginal location and power up the system. Power up the system and allow it to boot through to the OS at least once. This is to allow the BIOS to update itself. You will get a warning about the system clock needing to be set, you can ignore this for now and set it later. Once the system has been through a single boot cycle you can perform normal enterprise mode configuration.

Fujitsu Siemens: I have had trouble provisioning fujitsu siemens boxes (see the post in this forum) but i can tell you how to reset the AMT, simply remove the power and then remove the battery. Wait for about 30 seconds and then replace it. Power up the system and allow it to boot through to the OS at least once. This is to allow the BIOS to update itself. You will get a warning about the system clock needing to be set, you can ignore this for now and set it later.

To provision the systems you can now follow the standard procedure as described in the online documentation. There is a quick test that i use to tell if the configuration was read successfully, go into the AMT bios and try to logg in with the admin password, if this fails then your configuration was updated.

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Thanks Adrian,

I finally managed to fully unconfigure the system, I set the manageability feature to 'None' and then hard power offed the system, removed the battery for some time, this worked.

But the admin password did't reset, it remained what is was set before. it means that USB Provisioning is not gonna work now, because it requires password to be the default one.

- Sohaib
0 Kudos
fred29210
Beginner

Please provide the following:
Computer Brand:
Computer Model:

If you have a Fujitsu you should look at the lastpost of this thread:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums//topic/54320

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi,

How can I get the Brand and Model ? from BIOS ?

thankx.
- Sohaib
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
I think what Adrian is asking is what OEM platform are you using? (HP DC7700p, for example.) And if you have not been successful at getting the Admin password back to it's default, you will need to reset the CMOS by using the Jumper method - one of the posts to this thread provided some instructions on how to do that.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi Again,

I was just reviewing this thread and you do have an extremely old version of the BIOS/Firmware. There have been 12 updates since yours.... Plz check out the following link and upgrade your system, otherwise many of the issues you may be having may already have been fixed. I'm wondering if the version of your firmware supports USB provisioning, for example. smiley [:-)]

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2372&OSFullname=OS+Independent&strOSs=38

There are instructions on the site for applying the upgrade - make sure to take a look at the Readme file and the release notes as well.

PRODUCTS: DQ965CO, DQ965GF, DQ965WC (Standard BIOS)

BIOS Version 5882

About This Release:

?

April 13, 2007

?

CO96510J.86A.5882.2007.0413.0100

?

VBIOS info: Build Number: 1436 PC 14.21 02/05/2007 17:31:04.

?

SATA RAID info: Intel RAID for SATA - v6.1.0.1002

?

SATA AHCI info: Version UPSD src 09-13-2006

?

PXE Nahum info: Intel Boot Agent GE v1.2.42

?

ME firmware build: 2.1.3.1031 production signed.

0 Kudos
lancedavis
Beginner

Hi Again,

I was just reviewing this thread and you do have an extremely old version of the BIOS/Firmware. There have been 12 updates since yours.... Plz check out the following link and upgrade your system, otherwise many of the issues you may be having may already have been fixed. I'm wondering if the version of your firmware supports USB provisioning, for example. smiley [:-)]

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2372&OSFullname=OS+Independent&strOSs=38

There are instructions on the site for applying the upgrade - make sure to take a look at the Readme file and the release notes as well.

PRODUCTS: DQ965CO, DQ965GF, DQ965WC (Standard BIOS)

BIOS Version 5882

About This Release:

?

April 13, 2007

?

CO96510J.86A.5882.2007.0413.0100

?

VBIOS info: Build Number: 1436 PC 14.21 02/05/2007 17:31:04.

?

SATA RAID info: Intel RAID for SATA - v6.1.0.1002

?

SATA AHCI info: Version UPSD src 09-13-2006

?

PXE Nahum info: Intel Boot Agent GE v1.2.42

?

ME firmware build: 2.1.3.1031 production signed.

IF I UPDATE WOULD I LOOSE ANY CURRENT MEMORY? AND ALSO MY PROCESSOR IS 1.6MHZ!! CAN I UPDATE THAT ON THIS BOARD?
0 Kudos
lancedavis
Beginner
Quoting - lancedavis

IF I UPDATE WOULD I LOOSE ANY CURRENT MEMORY? AND ALSO MY PROCESSOR IS 1.6MHZ!! CAN I UPDATE THAT ON THIS BOARD?

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Are you asking about if you upgrade your firmware on your Intel AMT client, would you loose your memory? If that is your question, then no - you will still have as much memory as you had before the upgrade. Firmware upgrades do not affect the RAM.
0 Kudos