Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Usiing IPMI in solaris

deependu
Beginner
Hello all,
I am trying to access the watchdog timer in Solaris using the IPMI v2. But not able to figure out how to start with. I am trying to access watchdog using /dev/bmc interface. I read the whole documentation for IPMI v2 on site. But no sample prgram has been given, just a lame algorithm has been mentioned.
Can any one please let me know, or give me a demo code of how to connect to /dev/bmc inteface, how to fire the command, how to send the command and get the response from BMC, in a simple way so that I can understand the concept.
Please give a small working program in C. I have tried looking to OpenIPMI, FreeIPMI and various other things, but they are far too complex to understand.

Thanks

with regards
Deependu
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - deependu
Hello all,
I am trying to access the watchdog timer in Solaris using the IPMI v2. But not able to figure out how to start with. I am trying to access watchdog using /dev/bmc interface. I read the whole documentation for IPMI v2 on site. But no sample prgram has been given, just a lame algorithm has been mentioned.
Can any one please let me know, or give me a demo code of how to connect to /dev/bmc inteface, how to fire the command, how to send the command and get the response from BMC, in a simple way so that I can understand the concept.
Please give a small working program in C. I have tried looking to OpenIPMI, FreeIPMI and various other things, but they are far too complex to understand.

Thanks

with regards
Deependu

Deependu,
I'm not too familiar with IPMI, the only place it comes up in AMT is with some of the PET alerts and logs. Since this forum is primarily targetted to developing software for vPro and AMT, I don't know if we'll be able to answer your question. I'll look into whether there is a forum that could better answer your question, I know there's more work in IPMI on the server side.

When I did a search for /dev/bmc and ipmi watchdog, I did come up with several examples online. That might be your best bet in the meantime.

Andy
0 Kudos