Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Using AMT with MeeGo and Anti-Virus protectors

P-Ramirez
Employee

I have an ISPP member who is writing information out to the AMT storage areas to reliably check later if a machine is dual boot, has had an OS upgrade, had the .NET framework upgraded, has current antivirus and OS patches ... They'll be adding anAtom interface shortly but don't expect to see CPU or disk upgrades, but will check for them. Here are a few scenarios they could use help with:

1. Suppose AMT can be used under MeeGo - someone changes their Intel Atom netbook from Win7 to MeeGo. Can the app still access the old AMT data written when the machine was Win7?

What if some app doesn't work for some reason and the user reverts back to Win7 after a few days. Would you see all three sets (old Win7, MeeGo, current Win7) of AMT data using Win7?

2. If it is possible to change chips or add a sizzling multi-GPU graphics card. If there's no Intel CPU one cannot write to or retrieve from AMT. Is that correct?

If some whizbang graphics card were added to a gaming machine, or maybe juiced the RAM, for example, it would be fine with AMT, right?

3. Do anti-virus protectors like McAfee (now owned by Intel) scan AMT storage? Pay any attention when it is read or written?

I appreciate your response and thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee
Hi,
AMT provided storage area is OS independent. As long the storage area is setup with right permissions, it can be accessed by the apps from any OS. The applications in the OS needs to have the right set of permissions, necessary drivers to access AMT locally. Once you meet these pre-requisites, you can store and access information both locally and remotely.

For Scenario 1, When you migrate from Win & to Meego, as long as you have the drivers (MEI, LMS)and the application, you can access the information that was stored when Win7 was running. The application running in the OS can chose to use the existing data that was already stored or create a new section and start populating the data.

Scenario 2 - You can always add and modify HW components on the board, but in order to use AMT you have to meet minimum specification in that - you need to have vPro Eligible CPU, Chip set, LAN, WLAN (if it is mobile system). Other components does not have any vPro requirements.

Scenario 3 - AMT storage space is available for various applications and the data stored in there can be in any custom encrypted format. Each application is limited to access to its own storage space and cannot access other storage areas. I don't recall any Anti-Virus Protectors scanning the AMT Storage, this would require the anti virus software to have access to all AMT storage areas.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

Thanks,
AI

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee
Hi,
AMT provided storage area is OS independent. As long the storage area is setup with right permissions, it can be accessed by the apps from any OS. The applications in the OS needs to have the right set of permissions, necessary drivers to access AMT locally. Once you meet these pre-requisites, you can store and access information both locally and remotely.

For Scenario 1, When you migrate from Win & to Meego, as long as you have the drivers (MEI, LMS)and the application, you can access the information that was stored when Win7 was running. The application running in the OS can chose to use the existing data that was already stored or create a new section and start populating the data.

Scenario 2 - You can always add and modify HW components on the board, but in order to use AMT you have to meet minimum specification in that - you need to have vPro Eligible CPU, Chip set, LAN, WLAN (if it is mobile system). Other components does not have any vPro requirements.

Scenario 3 - AMT storage space is available for various applications and the data stored in there can be in any custom encrypted format. Each application is limited to access to its own storage space and cannot access other storage areas. I don't recall any Anti-Virus Protectors scanning the AMT Storage, this would require the anti virus software to have access to all AMT storage areas.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

Thanks,
AI
0 Kudos