Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1380 Discussions

WOL Funtionality on DQ45CB - Will not WOL from S5.

DBrow22
Novice

Hi,

I'm currently working on releasing the Intel DQ45CB platform and have run into some problems with WOL.

Board is DQ45CB E30148-205 with Bios CB9632 and Intel Driver Set 13.3 (10.3.45.0 22/07/2008) under XPSP2.
Driver Defaults are loaded "Wake On Settings" are set to "Wake on Magic and Directed".
The Board will wake from STANDBY, but not from an (S5) OFF state.

In the Bios under Power we have :
After Power Failure : [Last State]
Wake on LAN from S5 : [Power On]
ACPI Suspend State : [S3 State]
EIST : [Enable]
Wake System from S5 : [Disable] and [Enable] tried (This only appears to control Wake on Alarm and if I'm correct, andshouldn't affect WOL)

In the ME Engine we have:
Intel Me State Control : [Enabled]
Intel ME On in Host Sleep States : [Desktop : ON in S0, S3, S4-5] and also tried [Desktop : ON in S0, Me Wake in S3, S4-5]

When using Magic Packet or WOLCMD I can see the Magic Packet (7 iterations of MAC address) arriving at the system using a sniffer when running an OS.

Anyone run into this problem at all ??

Any help would be appreciated.

Warmest Regards (from a chilly UK). Dave.B

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - Dave Brown

Hi,

I'm currently working on releasing the Intel DQ45CB platform and have run into some problems with WOL.

Board is DQ45CB E30148-205 with Bios CB9632 and Intel Driver Set 13.3 (10.3.45.0 22/07/2008) under XPSP2.
Driver Defaults are loaded "Wake On Settings" are set to "Wake on Magic and Directed".
The Board will wake from STANDBY, but not from an (S5) OFF state.

In the Bios under Power we have :
After Power Failure : [Last State]
Wake on LAN from S5 : [Power On]
ACPI Suspend State : [S3 State]
EIST : [Enable]
Wake System from S5 : [Disable] and [Enable] tried (This only appears to control Wake on Alarm and if I'm correct, andshouldn't affect WOL)

In the ME Engine we have:
Intel Me State Control : [Enabled]
Intel ME On in Host Sleep States : [Desktop : ON in S0, S3, S4-5] and also tried [Desktop : ON in S0, Me Wake in S3, S4-5]

When using Magic Packet or WOLCMD I can see the Magic Packet (7 iterations of MAC address) arriving at the system using a sniffer when running an OS.

Anyone run into this problem at all ??

Any help would be appreciated.

Warmest Regards (from a chilly UK). Dave.B

Well.... It sort of looks like you are setting things correctly. Is this an OEM system - which one, if so? We are going to have to look into this one.

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Hi,
In looking closer at your question, it looks like you are not trying to do a WOL from Intel AMT - (which would wake up the Manageability Engine - that's what the power settings in the ME BIOs extentions are referrring to.) Could you verify that this is the case? The WOL with regards to AMT is different than waking up a system using the WOLCMD dos command.
Have you checked the following?
1. The WOL network adaptor in your system is connected to an active ethernet cable?
2. The packets are not getting blocked by a switch or a router? (some switches/ routers block magic packets) - you may want to try this using a hub instead for testing if you aren't already doing so.
3. If you are running with XP then it should be installed with ACPI is enabled in the BIOS. If your test system is set to APM, you may have to change this to ACPI and rebuild your system - it looks like you can't change the setting without re-installing windows.
Let us know if this helps or if I'm totally off on my response?

0 Kudos
DBrow22
Novice
Hi,
In looking closer at your question, it looks like you are not trying to do a WOL from Intel AMT - (which would wake up the Manageability Engine - that's what the power settings in the ME BIOs extentions are referrring to.) Could you verify that this is the case? The WOL with regards to AMT is different than waking up a system using the WOLCMD dos command.
Have you checked the following?
1. The WOL network adaptor in your system is connected to an active ethernet cable?
2. The packets are not getting blocked by a switch or a router? (some switches/ routers block magic packets) - you may want to try this using a hub instead for testing if you aren't already doing so.
3. If you are running with XP then it should be installed with ACPI is enabled in the BIOS. If your test system is set to APM, you may have to change this to ACPI and rebuild your system - it looks like you can't change the setting without re-installing windows.
Let us know if this helps or if I'm totally off on my response?

Hi,

It appears that WOL from S5 has had its functionallity removed from the last two PV base driver sets. If you run a silent install like we do (on 150,000 machines a year) and don't install Intel ProSet extensions then the choice to enable WOL from S5 isn't shown. This is new as it was Ok when we did DQ35JO and older platforms. So I guess it came in with the driver set that supported the 82567LM Controller. I've bodged a bit of a work around by adding a reg frag to EnablePME=1, which we can silently install when the drivers are dropped onto target systems.

0 Kudos