Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

What happened to Trusted Execution Technology?

tonytech07
Beginner

Isee many potential software programs that can bedeveloped/redeveloped utilizing the capabilities of TXT to increase security. Indeed, the capabilities probably should be considered for every program. I was going to download the software development guide, but maybe I shouldn't bother: Apparently, the technology is no longer being developed and pursued by Intel? I say this noting that the latest Q45 motherboards do not have a TPM on them (sigh). Why was TXT only marketed as a technology for business? Home users don't deserve more secure credit card transactions over the internet and the like? Did the DRM opponents keepTPMs from being offered in Media Series boards?

Have TXT and TPMsbeen abandoned by Intel?

(Please let me know if there is a better forum here to put this post. Perhaps there once WAS a TXT forum??).

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Intel TXT and TPM have certainly not been abandoned by Intel.

Please stay tuned for a detailed answer to the other questions.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

As noted, Intel Trusted Execution Technology (TXT) requires a TPM. Intel does not place any requirements on which market segments can use TXT or platforms should have TPMs. However, we also realize that most home users are not prepared for the management and backup responsibilities needed for systems that use a TPM. This includes taking ownership of the TPM and securely managing that authorization value/password as well as backing up any data that is protected by the TPM (since you cant just move TPM-sealed data on a hard drive to another machine and restore it). As such, it is understandable if manufacturers are reluctant to include TPMs on consumer systems, especially given the extra cost.

Intel continues to be very active in the Trusted Computing Group (where the TPM specification is defined) and continues to develop and release TXT-capable platforms. The Q35 and X38 Express chipsets support TXT as do all 08 vPro systems. You can find documentation for the SMX processor instructions used by TXT in the IA-32 SDM, vol. 2B chapt. 6. You can find the TXT MLE Developers Guide at http://www.intel.com/technologies/security. And you can find sample code and tools for TXT at http://sourceforge.net/projects/tboot.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos