Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1380 Discussions

cannot connect to AMT/ME client laptop via browser

tomtombba
Beginner
Hi,

I'm a newbie to AMT/ME and not familar with network stuffs.
I just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad X61s, and it has Intel AMT/ME built-in. I'd like to give it a try just for my peronal usage.
My laptop's running both Linux and Windows Vista. I'm behind a wireless router with DHCP enabled. I also installed AMT related drivers in Vista.
I enabled AMT in BIOS, and set it up according to this guide: http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/amt_quick_start_guide1.pdf
The followings are my important setup:
- Small Business option selected.
- DHCP enabled with identical Vista's Hostname.
- Domain name: blank
- Power: (don't remember) probably S0, S3, S4-5
- SOL/IDE-R: all Enabled

When I starup Vista, there is an AMT status icon in system tray. It says that AMT is Enable.
But when I use my cousin's laptop and entered 192.168.1.5:16992 (which is my vista's ip address) in Firefox, there is an error like "Failed to connect...."

Could you please help me out!
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - tomtombba
Hi,

I'm a newbie to AMT/ME and not familar with network stuffs.
I just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad X61s, and it has Intel AMT/ME built-in. I'd like to give it a try just for my peronal usage.
My laptop's running both Linux and Windows Vista. I'm behind a wireless router with DHCP enabled. I also installed AMT related drivers in Vista.
I enabled AMT in BIOS, and set it up according to this guide: http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/amt_quick_start_guide1.pdf
The followings are my important setup:
- Small Business option selected.
- DHCP enabled with identical Vista's Hostname.
- Domain name: blank
- Power: (don't remember) probably S0, S3, S4-5
- SOL/IDE-R: all Enabled

When I starup Vista, there is an AMT status icon in system tray. It says that AMT is Enable.
But when I use my cousin's laptop and entered 192.168.1.5:16992 (which is my vista's ip address) in Firefox, there is an error like "Failed to connect...."

Could you please help me out!

Hi tomtombba,
The most common reason that you cannot access the WEB UI remotely is that there may be a firewall blocking the traffic. Can you ping your AMT system from your cousin's laptop? And can you ping your Cousin's laptop from your AMT system? If not, that is probably the problem.

I'm pretty sure the WEB UI works with Firefox, but you may want to try IE as well if the pinging works OK.

Your settings all look good (for SMB mode)

Please let us know how the ping tests goes (and the browser test also.)

--Gael
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Oh... One more thing - did you enter your Host Name for AMT when you set your system up in SMB mode (this is one of the configuration settings when you are configuring AMT in the MEBX screens.)
0 Kudos
tomtombba
Beginner

Hi tomtombba,
The most common reason that you cannot access the WEB UI remotely is that there may be a firewall blocking the traffic. Can you ping your AMT system from your cousin's laptop? And can you ping your Cousin's laptop from your AMT system? If not, that is probably the problem.

I'm pretty sure the WEB UI works with Firefox, but you may want to try IE as well if the pinging works OK.

Your settings all look good (for SMB mode)

Please let us know how the ping tests goes (and the browser test also.)

--Gael

Hi Gael!

Thanks for your reply! I forgot to mention that the ping was ok between 2 laptops.
I aslo tried to access from my laptop too. When I entered the above ip + port in my laptop. I could see Intel AMT's web page, but it said something but I don't remember like "AMT is disabled on this machine...". Do you think that this is normal error because my laptop has been configured as AMT client?
And also another issue is that I switched my laptop's OS from Vista to Linux, and tried to asscess from Linux. It also said "Failed to connect..."!?
I don't know if AMT/ME is case sensitive in terms of hostname or not? My Vista's hostname is X61s and I also named it as X61s in AMT/ME bios setup.
For the 16992 port, I also forwarded this port number in my wireless router. The port forward information is like this:

IP: 192.168.1.5 (my laptop's IP)
Protocol: UDP/TCP
Start port: 16992
End port: 16992

I can also get through this port by checking from canyouseeme.org
Do you think that I missed any step or tool installed to make it work?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Hi Again,
You will not be able to get to the Web UI from the AMT system itself - it's a "Remote" only interface. What I'm not sure about now, is that you say that the pinging works fine and that you are allowing port 16992 through your router. It sounds to me like the requests may still be being blocked. For example, on my simple lab router I can connect just fine but if I try to connect on my corporate network, messages get blocked.

Is it possible also that an Anti-virus package might be blocking messages as well? Or maybe you have a browser settting that isn't letting you access the web page (on your Cousin's computer?)

Accessing the WEB UI is usually a pretty simple and straight forward task so it's got to be something simple. Can you set up your Router so that it just allows everything? Is there a firewall enabled on the Router?
0 Kudos
tomtombba
Beginner
Hi Again,
You will not be able to get to the Web UI from the AMT system itself - it's a "Remote" only interface. What I'm not sure about now, is that you say that the pinging works fine and that you are allowing port 16992 through your router. It sounds to me like the requests may still be being blocked. For example, on my simple lab router I can connect just fine but if I try to connect on my corporate network, messages get blocked.

Is it possible also that an Anti-virus package might be blocking messages as well? Or maybe you have a browser settting that isn't letting you access the web page (on your Cousin's computer?)

Accessing the WEB UI is usually a pretty simple and straight forward task so it's got to be something simple. Can you set up your Router so that it just allows everything? Is there a firewall enabled on the Router?
Hi,
Thanks for quick reply!
Yes, my Vista has Norton IS and my router has firewall enabled too.
But when I pinged my laptop from my cousin's laptop. I disabled the norton's firewall. I'm not sure if I need to completely disable Norton or not for instance anti-virus and spyware functions to make the messages get through.
One more thing that I'm confused at the moment is that: why do I need to bother such security software like Norton since I can send messages/magic packages to AMT-enabled client while it is being turned off. In order words, when a computer is in turn-off state, Norton is not active. This also raises me other questions :)
1. Does my laptop need to have Vista running while being access from my cousin's laptop?
2. Can I run Linux instead of Vista?

Looking forward to hearing from you!
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
One more question: You aren't wireless, are you? If you are trying to access the Web UI being wireless you would have had to add your SSID and Router configuration inside the ME. Setting up the Wireless Profile so that you can access AMT wirelessly requires that you be connected to a network cable and plugged into AC while doing this.

Note that your wireless profile must have encryption and the password must be of the same strength that AMT needs.

Here is a link that might be beneficial. It's about configuring a T61 so maybe it will help you.

Could you send a screen shot of the error message?

Also - You can have any OS loaded on the AMT system - AMT is OS agnostic.
0 Kudos
tomtombba
Beginner
One more question: You aren't wireless, are you? If you are trying to access the Web UI being wireless you would have had to add your SSID and Router configuration inside the ME. Setting up the Wireless Profile so that you can access AMT wirelessly requires that you be connected to a network cable and plugged into AC while doing this.

Note that your wireless profile must have encryption and the password must be of the same strength that AMT needs.

Here is a link that might be beneficial. It's about configuring a T61 so maybe it will help you.

Could you send a screen shot of the error message?

Also - You can have any OS loaded on the AMT system - AMT is OS agnostic.

Hi,
What a nice instruction video! Thanks for that!
Yes I'm in Wireless (WAN)
As I can see in the video, he can connect to amt-enable machine from a remote machine (in WAN) right after he finished configuring AMT/ME BIOS. I think what you mentioned above should be taken after I can succsessfully connect to my laptop from my cousin's laptop. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
One think I noticed from the video is the Workgroup. Probably my cousin's windows doen't have the same workgroup as mine. Do you think so? I'll check that and report back it to u!
Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - tomtombba

Hi,
What a nice instruction video! Thanks for that!
Yes I'm in Wireless (WAN)
As I can see in the video, he can connect to amt-enable machine from a remote machine (in WAN) right after he finished configuring AMT/ME BIOS. I think what you mentioned above should be taken after I can succsessfully connect to my laptop from my cousin's laptop. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
One think I noticed from the video is the Workgroup. Probably my cousin's windows doen't have the same workgroup as mine. Do you think so? I'll check that and report back it to u!
Thanks again!

Hi,
You do not have to add a workgroup to your AMT config - this can be different that your cousin's computer.

So you should be able to plug your AMT System into the network (using a network cable) get onto the Web UI (from your Cousin's computer) and set up your wireless profile using the Web UI. Of course you will need to make sure you have the propper security in place on your wireless router before you do this - it will not work if the password is not a strong one.Once you do this, you should be able to access AMT wirelessly.

You can access the Web UI when the AMT Client is connected via a network cable, correct?
0 Kudos
tomtombba
Beginner

Hi,
You do not have to add a workgroup to your AMT config - this can be different that your cousin's computer.

So you should be able to plug your AMT System into the network (using a network cable) get onto the Web UI (from your Cousin's computer) and set up your wireless profile using the Web UI. Of course you will need to make sure you have the propper security in place on your wireless router before you do this - it will not work if the password is not a strong one.Once you do this, you should be able to access AMT wirelessly.

You can access the Web UI when the AMT Client is connected via a network cable, correct?

Aha, now i unserstand ;)
I'll try it, and give u the answer.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
tomtombba
Beginner
Quoting - tomtombba

Aha, now i unserstand ;)
I'll try it, and give u the answer.
Thanks!

Hi,

Now it works :)
I could turn off my laptop from my cousin's laptop. However, when my laptop was turned off, I couldn't use my cousin's laptop to turn it on again. The Intel AMT webpage cannot be loaded when my laptop is turned off. I seems that the amt's ip is no longer active when my laptop is turned off.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Glad you have the WebUI working.

You mentioned previously that you don't recall the AMT setting for power states. Now would be a good time to go back and ensure that the setting is to have AMT on in all power states.
0 Kudos
tomtombba
Beginner

Glad you have the WebUI working.

You mentioned previously that you don't recall the AMT setting for power states. Now would be a good time to go back and ensure that the setting is to have AMT on in all power states.

Hi Lance,

I also tried to choose the last option for Power state, but it didn't work either.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Hmmmm, well the one you want is on in all states.

Is your machine plugged into AC power?
AMT does not stay powered on with only the laptop's battery and must have the AC power plugged it.
0 Kudos
tomtombba
Beginner

Hmmmm, well the one you want is on in all states.

Is your machine plugged into AC power?
AMT does not stay powered on with only the laptop's battery and must have the AC power plugged it.
Aha, ok!
I got it worked now!
Thanks a lot for your help!
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

That's great!
Have fun playing with AMT :)
0 Kudos