Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

how to config virtual CD on AMT system??

tronglenguyencms
Beginner

Hi,

Iwant to create a virtual CD on AMT system but i dont know how to do this. some documents said that going to BIOS and set Wake On Lan from S5 to Stay off. I also tried this step but nothing can change at all.

anyone can help me?

Thanks

Le,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tronglenguyencms
Beginner
anybody?
0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Le,

Its holidays timeand the response is slow in the forum because of that. Coming to your question, I would like to understand what is the reason you need a virtual CD-Rom? After AMT is provisioned, when you initiate a IDE-R/SOL session, Intel AMT software will create a virtula CD-Rom. I dont think the Wake on Lan from S5 setting will create a virtual CD-Rom. That setting is one of the low power state for the ME/AMT.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

0 Kudos
tronglenguyencms
Beginner

Hi Akillendula,

thanks for your reply

to explain why I need a virtual CD-rom, please read an example below:

I have 2 PCs, one is manage PC( called PC1), another one is managed PC (Called PC2).

I installed System Area Manager (SyAM software) on PC1 to mange PC2. But now the PC2's OS is corrupt, I want to reinstall it from the PC1 by using an OS's image on my local network.

So, must I need virtualCD-rom ?

thanks,

Le

0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Le,

Its a good way to use the AMT features. So in order to achieve the re-installation of OS on PC2, you need a CD or image file that has all thenecessary files and the drivers to access the local hard drive of PC2.

Once you have the image, from PC1, using SyAM software, you can start a IDE-R/SOL session using this CD or image. One thing to remember here is that with SOL you can only do the text redirection of the PC2, not the GUI. If you just want to achieve, you will not have to create any virtual CD-Rom, AMT will take care of it.

Before you do any of AMT related operation, please make sure that AMT on PC2 is provisioned in either SMB or Enterprise mode and SOL, IDE-R are enabled in BIOS.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it worked.

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee
Hi. Another easy way to do this using the Intel AMT DTK. Connect to the AMT computer using Commander, hit take control. In the redirection menu on top of the terminal, select both a floppy and CDROM image, select the redirection to start "Grasefully" and select "Direction Active". This will start IDE-R and you will see the sent/receive byte counts at the bottom of the screen.

Ok, now, if you have Outpost running, type "HWRESCAN" or go on the AMT computer in the Microsoft Windows device manager and select "Scan for new hardware". Both of these will cause Windows to scan for new devices and a new floppy and CDROM will pop-up and are now accessible.

You can also go in the terminal's "Remote Command" menu and opt to reboot the AMT system on the floppy or CDROM. If you only plan to use a CDROM image file, and don't have a floppy, just use an empty floppy image as a dummy.

Hope this helps,
Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)
0 Kudos