Intel® Developer Cloud
Help connecting to or getting started on Intel® Developer Cloud
201 Discussions

JupyterHub Spawn Failure: Persistent Timeout During Launch

Yululily
Novice

Hello,

I successfully launched JupyterHub yesterday without any issues. However, today I'm experiencing persistent launch failures.

The process gets stuck at "Cluster job running... waiting to connect" followed by a "Spawn failed: Timeout" error.

I've attempted the following troubleshooting steps:
- Logged out and back into DevCloud
- Switched from home Wi-Fi to mobile data network
- Tried different browsers

Despite these attempts, I'm still unable to launch JupyterHub.

I've attached screenshots to help diagnose the issue. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you for your assistance.

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Luwe_Intel

Hi Yululily,

Thank you for your patience.

For your information, the 'screen' command requires sudo rights and multiple SSH sessions in JupyterHub. As the sudo access does not work in JupyterHub terminal, users do not have the permission to use 'screen' command. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Luwe

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Yululily
Novice

I’ve resolved the issue. I revoked some API tokens and created new ones, which fixed the problem.

Update: No, it has not been resolved. That was a fluke just now, and now it is inaccessible again.

0 Kudos
Jakub_H
New Contributor I

Seems like I have a very similar problem.

I also have trouble today with launching the JupyterHub, also the timeout.

It worked in the morning (CEST), then in the afternoon it kept timing out. I tried to relaunch it a few times, and then after a few unsucessful timeout tries, it worked and I am able to access right now.

Edit: okay, the jupyter did launch, but starting a terminal takes forever, and trying to do anything takes too long (a simple `ls` takes 8 seconds)

Yululily
Novice

I can use it now! Thank you! However, the permission to use the ‘screen’ command that I had before is gone now.

0 Kudos
Yululily
Novice

You’re right, everything I try to execute in the terminal runs slowly and sluggishly. Seeing your reply, I’m relieved to know I’m not the only one.

Luwe_Intel

Hi Yululily,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We will inform the relevant team about this issue for further investigation and will update you as soon as possible. In the meantime, please provide us with the following information:

Cloud Account ID:

JupyterHub user ID (uXXXXXXXX):

Regards,

Luwe

0 Kudos
Yululily
Novice

Yululily_0-1723116732375.png

Hello, is this where I provide the information? Here’s a screenshot of the problem I encountered, along with my JupyterHub user ID: u7a3141da576395ad98626581ba2c1c9

0 Kudos
Luwe_Intel

Hi Yululily,

Thank you for the information provided. Could you kindly provide us with your cloud account ID as well for further investigation? The cloud account ID can be found by clicking on your profile icon on the upper right of the Intel Developer Cloud Console page.

Please refer to the image below. 

Cloud Account ID.png

Regards,

Luwe

0 Kudos
Yululily
Novice
0 Kudos
Yululily
Novice

I'm sorry, but I'm having a new problem here. My file browser on the left seems to be stuck in the "tmp" folder, and I can't go back by clicking the icon.

Yululily_0-1723131473558.png

Update: I'm seeing this (see screenshot), but it resolved itself when I reopened. However, I still don't have the original permissions to use the screen command.

Yululily_1-1723131494699.png

The issue of being stuck in the ‘tmp’ folder is resolved, but I still do not have permission to use the ‘screen’ command. If this is a change affecting all users, please inform me so that I don’t worry unnecessarily about the ‘screen’ command permissions (and come off as unreasonable)

Yululily_2-1723131852655.png

0 Kudos
Luwe_Intel

Hi Yululily,

Thank you for the screenshots provided. We are checking with the relevant team on this issue and will update you as soon as possible. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Luwe

Luwe_Intel

Hi Yululily,

Thank you for your patience.

For your information, the 'screen' command requires sudo rights and multiple SSH sessions in JupyterHub. As the sudo access does not work in JupyterHub terminal, users do not have the permission to use 'screen' command. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Luwe

Luwe_Intel

Hi Yululily,

This thread will no longer be monitored since this issue has been resolved. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Luwe

0 Kudos